Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Quit over thinking it and just cast!
- (Added by: Cowboyhannah)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Envirotex clear coating made easy

Message Subject: Envirotex clear coating made easy
spoonpluggergino
Posted 9/4/2012 1:44 PM (#582519)
Subject: Envirotex clear coating made easy

My baits where looking really bad when I started using E-TEX, prior to this I was using Parks from Home Depot. Nothing wrong with Etex just not knowing what I was doing. My basement it really cold I checked the temperature and is 68 degree too cold for the E-TEX. This system I have now it is really sample and easy any one can do it

Two things I do, I been using the same brush over and over. I keep the brush in a mason jar half full with acetone, when I am done brushing the bait I dip the brush in the acetone i wipe off the exess etex and put back in the jar for next time.
The second thing I use a shot glass that allows me to heat the etex, also when I am done I put a few drops of acetone and clean the shot glass for the next time.
I do one bait at the time, when I have multiple baits, you do not have to clean the glass every time, mix a new batch and do the next bait

PROCEDURE

I measure etex with syringes
pour in to shot glass
heat glass from the bottom up
heat the all glass
blast heat right on the top of the mixture
stir for two minutes with a small flat screwdriver
blast heat right on the ETEX when done mixing 5 to 10 seconds until bubles are gone
all bubbles are gone in less than a minute
brush the baits
blow hot air on the baits
you are done in less than 5 minutes
I put the baits on the wheel and I leave them to harden
These baits finish they look professionally done

The reason I start heating the glass from the bottom due to warm air rises the air bubles will rise to the top a lot easier due to thinner viscosyti, I would say that the entire glass and etex is probably around 95 degree it is hot to the touch. most likely75 to 85 degree should be sufficient

Gino

Edited by spoonpluggergino 9/4/2012 2:02 PM
newmuskyz
Posted 9/4/2012 10:10 PM (#582622 - in reply to #582519)
Subject: RE: Envirotex clear coating made easy

Sounds good. Very detailed. Try dropping your Etex bottles in hot water about 5 mins before you start. Saves from heating and no bubbles.
Beaver
Posted 9/5/2012 12:03 AM (#582650 - in reply to #582622)
Subject: RE: Envirotex clear coating made easy

I've said before, you get best results if you keep your ETex and the lures you are going to clearcoat the same temperature.
It sounds like you are doing one lure at a time by measuring in such small increment. Is that what you do, clear coat one lure at a time?
Beav
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/5/2012 7:26 AM (#582669 - in reply to #582519)
Subject: Re: Envirotex clear coating made easy

Me personaly, I agree with Beaver...I found that heating the epoxy makes it tacky quicker and ends up with more marks in the end. I simply mix in a medicine/measuring cup, then pour the epoxy into a container with more surface area and let it sit so the most of the bubbles come to the top. I will blow on it slightly to speed up that process. The ONLY time I use a head gun (ON LOW) is just before I put the lure on the turner to get and surface bubbles off. First coat typically always has marks and the second is usually glass.

I honestly believe that there is NO perfect procedure. Everyones envorinment is different, therefore every individual needs to find what works best for them in their own environment through trial and error. I tried ALL the tactics that different people have posted in the past and finally combined some of those techniques with my own to make what worked best in my own basement. All in all though, I believe that some of the keys are....a nice clean fairly dust free envoronment, clean tools, accurate measurements, a clean oilfree surface and PATIENCE! Learn from the things that don't work. All I can say.

Edited by ShutUpNFish 9/5/2012 7:29 AM
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/5/2012 10:19 AM (#582706 - in reply to #582669)

I also agree with the Beav. I kept my commercial shop at 70 degrees year round and the etex and lures were the same temp and was much easier to work with. One lure at a time is painfully slow. I had built a drying wheel that I could run up to 50 at a time. That is commercial for you. Lot less waste when you think about it when you are doing several at a time. Less clean up also.
I don't do the etex thing any more.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 9/5/2012 11:31 AM (#582721 - in reply to #582519)

Thank you every one for your input, that is why I really like this site because the pros are willing to share.

Yes Beaver I do one bait at the time and I also try to heat up the bait the same temp as the epoxy. I am a muskie nut so this is only a hobby for me. My basement it is very cold on a warm day maybe around 68 but most times around 65 degrees

Gino
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)