Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thin vs Thick Colorado blade

Message Subject: Thin vs Thick Colorado blade
Lateral Line
Posted 1/28/2011 9:39 AM (#478304)
Subject: Thin vs Thick Colorado blade

Am I correct to assume that a thicker bucktail blade has more “thump” when retrieved through the water due to more blade weight and centrifugal force? Do the fish like them any better? I’m going to try making a few of my own bucktails over the winter and I’ll be mimicking my favorite and productive ghosttail and skimmer bucktails. I noticed that I can buy a thicker .040 size 8 blade and think I may give them a try.
Thanks
bigbite
Posted 1/28/2011 11:16 AM (#478319 - in reply to #478304)
Subject: RE: Thin vs Thick Colorado blade

In addition to sight, hearing, and frequency detection by their lateral line, muskies can also detect and determine water displacement. Double blades and larger baits displace more water making them more detectable and easier to find.
Regarding the blade thicknesses, the .025 seems to be a little harder to pull through the water because the blades flare out more, plus it would tend to ride higher in the water column and therefore be easier to bulge. Conversely, the .040 blades run closer to the shaft and creates a different kind of "thump." This type of blade is especially suited for dark water and night conditions. It would also tend to run a little deeper.
I guess it really comes down to personal choice. I'll tell you this, there is no way you'll ever bend the thicker blades either through warping or from any Pike or Musky. The .025 blades however cannot take the same amount of abuse. They are basically tools and each has its own application. I use both type blades on different occasions. I don't think one or the other is superior, just different tools to apply to a different set of conditions.
jakejusa
Posted 1/28/2011 11:21 AM (#478325 - in reply to #478304)
Subject: RE: Thin vs Thick Colorado blade

I find myself looking for the older thinner blades more & more. They hardly make the thin ones anymore. Takes very little to get them turning, & work better on the rake or drop, if you do that much.
Sam Ubl
Posted 1/28/2011 12:55 PM (#478345 - in reply to #478304)
Subject: Re: Thin vs Thick Colorado blade

Lighter blades will have your bucktail riding higher in the water column than a heavier pair.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/28/2011 4:32 PM (#478384 - in reply to #478304)

I've had some sucess on lighter blades when everyone else in the boat was throwing a heavier bladed bucktail. Could have been color related, but I think its safe to say that they would put off a different vibration. I've also found that lighter wire combined with thinner blades is much better as a shallow presentation. The thin blades get beat up and dented and wear through where the clevis rubs on them though. By then the whole bait is usually toast anyway.
firstsixfeet
Posted 1/29/2011 11:56 AM (#478477 - in reply to #478304)

There is a difference, and the fish have preferences.
Wish I knew what they were all the time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)