Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 3 Batteries, 2 bank Charger

Reply New post
Message Subject: 3 Batteries, 2 bank Charger
Posted 6/22/2010 2:09 PM (#446762)
Subject: 3 Batteries, 2 bank Charger

I just recently upgraded my trolling motor to a 24 volt system, so now with the extra battery only the two trolling motor batteries are connected to the charger, Today on the water my starting battery died on me, so would it be possible somehow to connect all three batteries to the charger?
Almost-B-Good
Posted 6/22/2010 2:19 PM (#446765 - in reply to #446762)
Subject: RE: 3 Batteries, 2 bank Charger

You can easily attach several batteries in parallel to a 12V charger circuit, but you must remember, parallel, not series! Then you have to disconnect before using the starting battery to run the big motor or you run the risk of the trolling motor draining the starting battery. Wouldn't it be just as easy to just put the starting battery on a seperate charger once in a while?

Edited by Almost-B-Good 6/22/2010 2:26 PM
brmusky
Posted 6/24/2010 9:26 AM (#447125 - in reply to #446762)
Subject: Re: 3 Batteries, 2 bank Charger

Why not replace the 2 bank with a 3 bank charger? You could easily sell the 2 bank charger to get some of the money back.
jackson
Posted 6/24/2010 10:33 AM (#447133 - in reply to #446762)

your motor should charge the starting battery. But if you are wearing it down, then just take a portable charger and charge it when you park for the day. If its still wearing down, then get a new battery. You could also get a 3 bank charger (buy once, cry once).
Sorgy
Posted 6/25/2010 7:26 AM (#447241 - in reply to #447133)

I had the same problem. Night fishing with the lights on and radio on. Second night of the trip was usually when the problems came about. I also had problems when catching bottom feeders and letting them swim around in the livewell w/ pumps running occasionally. Usually it was a second day problem.

I just added a single bank on board charger 5 amps and will plug that in after a night of fishing- If the deep cycles(trolling motor batts) need charging then they get the priority.

I think I spent around $70.00 for the single bank charger.

Good Luck

Steve
Yake Bait
Posted 6/25/2010 11:53 AM (#447294 - in reply to #446762)

I have the same battery configuration and use the on board for trolling batteries only. The main motor takes care of the cranking battery. When I have had problems with the cranking battery running out of juice, it has generally been because the battery is in poor condition after about 3 years of use and is unable to hold a charge. Got stuck on the Fox River this spring because the old cranking battery could not keep my navigation lights running once the sun went down.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)