Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Fish Finder or Flasher?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Fish Finder or Flasher?
Rogiecrockett
Posted 1/25/2009 9:20 AM (#357079)
Subject: Fish Finder or Flasher?

I have a Lowarance X-135 on a new UltraCraft I bought last summer. It is Ram mounted on the console so I can spin it around and view from the bow. I would like to put something on the bow this year. The X-135 is user friendly and seems to go a good job. I have read a lot on flashers and am wondering if that might be a better option.

I know the X-135 has a Flasher option on it but I have not used it. My thought on that is a pure Flasher will do better than a Fishfinder that is trying to act like a Flasher.

My experience with Flashers was a long, long time ago when that seemed to be the primary technology. The guys I fished with probably did not know how to use them effectively, so it seemed to be use mainly as a depth measurement device only.

I have seen a lot of discussion on here and other sites about Vexilar and the advantages of using a Flasher. My fishing is crappie, bass, rivers and taking the kids out and having a lazy day on the boat. We also will do some Wisconsin fishing.

If I am going to spend another chunk of money, I want to make certain I spend wisely and get something that will help with other species.

Lookig for advise from people who really understand both technologies.

Thanks,
Dave.
Phil
Posted 1/25/2009 9:55 AM (#357087 - in reply to #357079)
Subject: RE: Fish Finder or Flasher?

I've used both... I like an lcd screen for the reason that it keeps a brief history as it scrolls across the screen. You can look away during a cast/figure 8 and still see what what you were on top of a few seconds ago. Not a big deal either way, but I'll take that small advantage over those of a flasher, for musky fishing at least. For crappies in brush or walleyes hugging the bottom... target separation might be more important. Running in rivers instant readout of a flasher is nice. The differences in flashers and lcd are much smaller than they used to be.
reelman
Posted 1/25/2009 11:42 AM (#357099 - in reply to #357079)
Subject: Re: Fish Finder or Flasher?

What advantage would a flasher possibly have over a graph? Don't believe when people tell you that a flasher is faster as it's just not true with modern graphs. There is a definite advantage to having some "memory" that a flasher doesn't have.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/25/2009 1:09 PM (#357114 - in reply to #357079)
Subject: RE: Fish Finder or Flasher?

I can see a distinct advantage to using a flasher for stationary fishing, like ice fishing, as the fish entering and exiting will be there and gone while you watch it constantly. But for any moving application a LCG has all the advantages.

I can't think of one thing a flasher can do better than a graph on a boat, and quite a few where the graph has the advantage. When you are running a boat on the waters I fish where you can run into driftwood, deadheads, and rock reefs coming out of deep water to almost the surface a locator will not save you if you aren't watching where you are driving. If you are watching where you are driving you will miss most of what a flasher will display but on a graph you can catch a quick peek at the chart and see if anything interesting has gone by. Plus you have infinitely more control of the display on the graph. Not to mention the advanced things a graph can do, like chart record and then save waypoints to spots on the chart after you are off the water. Try that with a flasher.

I started using a flasher in about 1968 and ran them for a lot of years. I knew flashers inside and out, and I don't miss them at all. Now the LCG's have almost the resolution my old paper graph had with ten times the ease of use. If you want a unit to double as an icefishing unit then I'd go with the flasher and suffer while in the boat. Otherwise in my opinion there is no reason to ever have one on a boat.
reelman
Posted 1/25/2009 2:09 PM (#357128 - in reply to #357079)

I even use a graph for ice fishing. I prefer the memory for that purpose also. If you must use a flasher then get one of the Lowrances that offer a flasher and a graph in the same unit but if you do you will find that you use the graph more than the flasher for ice fishing.
Schuler
Posted 1/25/2009 6:03 PM (#357172 - in reply to #357079)

I use a Lowrance LMS-334c even when ice fishing. It is plenty fast as I can watch my jig on the screen. I see no advantage of a flasher. The only reason I keep the one that's in-dash on my boat is for water temp, as my lowrance has the temp built into the transducer and I have it mounted in the bilge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)