Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Daffynition of Retirement, "Everyday's a Saturday"
- (Added by: ESOXER)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> When to add lead vs water seal the wood?

Message Subject: When to add lead vs water seal the wood?
BruceKY
Posted 1/13/2007 11:12 PM (#232083)
Subject: When to add lead vs water seal the wood?

OK you have your wood cut out, shaped, and ready for hooks and lead. When do you test float the lure? Do you drop the bare wood in a bucket with hooks and lead taped on, or do you seal the lure first knowing that you are going to have to drill holes in it? I have read hundreds of posts about weighting glide baits, crank baits, etc. Most say it is trial and error adding lead then taking away as needed. It has never been clear to me at what point the lure gets tank tested.

How do you compensate for the weight of the epoxy clear coat after painting? I took a small piece of E-tex that had cured in a cup to work where I have access to a very accurate scale. It had a specific gravity around 2.0.

Thanks,
Bruce
gear jammer
Posted 1/14/2007 8:11 AM (#232096 - in reply to #232083)
Subject: RE: When to add lead vs water seal the wood?

I've taken the bare wood with the lead added, with the ability to remove some. Then put it in water and see. I myself like to see a slight lean to one side. Then i add screweyes hooks and lip since this is a crankbait and then retest to get the proper float. Not to say this is it, but it works for me.

Jim
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/14/2007 12:28 PM (#232124 - in reply to #232096)

I seal my wood first before water testing and adjusting the lead.
Wood on the Water
Posted 1/14/2007 3:04 PM (#232137 - in reply to #232083)

Seal the wood first then test your weights otherwise after yor first test the wood will soak up water and weigh more. You may be able to get a idea how the lure will respond but with out adding the suprising weight of the Bondo or filler in the holes, paints, and top coats you will get bad results. My lures get a sealer, 2 coats of primer, 5 or 6 colors of paint , another sealer, then 3 coats of finish. That adds up quick. So for best results complete assembly is required before you can be sure. Minor tweeking can also be done with hook sizes.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 2/7/2007 11:56 PM (#237139 - in reply to #232083)

also found out your much better of to glue lead into hole rather then pouring hot lead into bait> pouring hot lead into bait may cause hairline cracks that will will expand when bait hits water.

Pfeiff
Jio
Posted 2/8/2007 2:05 AM (#237149 - in reply to #232083)

I keep my blanks in thin lacque about 24 hours and let them dry before weight testing and weighting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)