Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake
 
Message Subject: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake
MartinTD
Posted 9/22/2026 1:08 PM (#1037986)
Subject: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake




Posts: 1176


Why wasn't this tourney reported on here?

I wasn't able to fish it this year but have several times in the past. I would think a lot of the core group here has, or continues to fish it and at least still has some interest in it.

Information on results was spotty at best from multiple sources on FB. I believe 23 fish were caught, which is much higher number than usual. I heard rumor that the winning team had 4 or 5 fish that were all caught in open water using livescope. Don't know if that's in fact true or not but I saw comments that people wouldn't be back next year unless livescope was banned.

Does anyone know how many boats were in it this year? Anyone fish it with any success? And why are they allowing livescope to be used? The PMTT banned it years ago already.
Jimbo
Posted 9/22/2026 3:52 PM (#1037987 - in reply to #1037986)
Subject: RE: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake





Posts: 238


I fished the tournament. Only missed a couple since the beginning. Actually was fishing this tournament since 1982 (yes I am old) before it was the Memorial tournament. Were a little over 90 boats. I believe there were 21 fish 34" or bigger caught. Only 3 or 4 that were 40" or bigger. Biggest was 43.5" I believe. And yes the team (guide & girlfriend/wife) caught 5 fish and yes LIVESCOPING OVER OPEN WATER AND "JIGGING" FOR THEM. Not sure what lures he was using. My boat was shut out but buddy in other boat got a 39.5" for 5th place. Wish they could eliminate that livescoping crap. Hopefully Steve has some influence in this tournament and will ban it in the future. I know pretty hard to patrol that but maybe say it is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing that has changed in this lake and probably many others is the lack of follows. Used to have many follows to keep you going but these days just don't see many.

Edited by Jimbo 9/22/2026 3:59 PM
sworrall
Posted 9/22/2026 6:29 PM (#1037990 - in reply to #1037986)
Subject: Re: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake





Posts: 32980


Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin
As usual, the Gerrits ran a tight event while keeping it enjoyable and organized. 23 fish were caught and first place paid out $2000. I believe the biggest was a 46+. This isn't a tournament 'organization'; it's the Gerrits running a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House that happens to be an event in my son's name. I attended to have a family member there to show our deep gratitude as Keith was guiding and Sue was working.

The KWM is a fundraiser and again raised a significant amount of money for the Ronald McDonald House. I can't thank the anglers and organizers enough.

I didn't attend to 'cover' the event. I'm 74, a little beat up, and still down some with CKD and postherpetic neuralgia (from a bad case of shingles). I'm pretty much done traveling like I used to.
North of 8
Posted 9/22/2026 9:17 PM (#1037991 - in reply to #1037990)
Subject: Re: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake




sworrall - 9/22/2026 6:29 PM

As usual, the Gerrits ran a tight event while keeping it enjoyable and organized. 23 fish were caught and first place paid out $2000. I believe the biggest was a 46+. This isn't a tournament 'organization'; it's the Gerrits running a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House that happens to be an event in my son's name. I attended to have a family member there to show our deep gratitude as Keith was guiding and Sue was working.

The KWM is a fundraiser and again raised a significant amount of money for the Ronald McDonald House. I can't thank the anglers and organizers enough.

I didn't attend to 'cover' the event. I'm 74, a little beat up, and still down some with CKD and postherpetic neuralgia (from a bad case of shingles). I'm pretty much done traveling like I used to.
The neuralgia from shingles is tough. My mother suffered from that. The day that I could get the vaccine I did, same with the new improved version. It is great that the Gerrits run this for a great cause.
Jimbo
Posted 9/23/2026 10:05 AM (#1037997 - in reply to #1037986)
Subject: RE: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake





Posts: 238


Steve, we all hope you get better soon!!!
Like I mentioned in my post above I have been fishing this tournament from the start. It is a great event and run very well by the Gerrits. This is the only tournament I do because it has a great cause and it's a fun tournament. Just wish the Livescope and FFS has to rear it's ugly head and is in my opinion negatively affecting the muskie world.
chuckski
Posted 9/24/2026 8:37 AM (#1038006 - in reply to #1037986)
Subject: Re: KWM Tournament - Pelican Lake




Posts: 1733


Location: Brighton CO.
Years ago on one of our trips to Wisconsin mom was really sick and it turns out she had shingles, I got my vaccine since then.
I love open water fishing and read everything on the subject from Tony Rizzo's Summer Muskie, Tom Gelb, stuff from Pete Maina and Trout Water from Dickp. and have all kinds of deep water and jigging lures. If you see a 0old fool floating down the middle of the Lake in a row boat with no old 1988 sonar it could be me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)