Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Northern lights.

Message Subject: Northern lights.
chuckski
Posted 10/11/2024 8:27 AM (#1031152)
Subject: Northern lights.

For the folks who live in the more northern states or people on vacation, how often do you see the Northern lights?
Grass
Posted 10/11/2024 12:04 PM (#1031157 - in reply to #1031152)
Subject: Re: Northern lights.

Almost never, but Every night this wk.
Guzzler
Posted 10/11/2024 12:41 PM (#1031159 - in reply to #1031152)

I live in South Central Wis. They were awesome last night. If you get a chance to see them tonight you won't be disappointed.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/11/2024 2:54 PM (#1031160 - in reply to #1031159)

Usually a few times a year in Northern MN. This year is exceptional.
North of 8
Posted 10/11/2024 3:59 PM (#1031163 - in reply to #1031160)

See them from time to time.in N.Wi
Got spoiled living across the street from Lake Superior in a rented house for 18 months. Faced north and some nights it wad so bright I knew it was on because I could see the light through the closed curtains. Lights dancing over the lake, that will stay with me as long as I have memory
miket55
Posted 10/11/2024 4:58 PM (#1031164 - in reply to #1031152)

When I was plying the airways, I would see them several times a year, even as far south as the Tennessee/Georgia/Alabama line. We had two events in my area recently, the one in May being hidden by clouds locally, and the other yesterday evening. I couldn't witness the latter, since the nearest mountaintops are inaccessible due to Helene's wrath. The alternative was a 40 minute grind on a steep windy Forest Service Road that I'd rather not drive on at night.

I do see them once in a while on my fall trip to the Northwoods.
chuckski
Posted 10/11/2024 6:56 PM (#1031167 - in reply to #1031152)

Right after I graduated from high school in 1979 I was up north in Wisconsin (I lived in So. Cal. at the time) for a month and we were drinking legal Beer (the drinking age was 18 at the time in Wisconsin) and blowing off bottle rockets on 4th of July and I looked up and what the heck is that? Then some girl answered back "Oh the northern lights". I saw them again at Lake Of The Woods Sept. 1993, one time at Lake Winni in Oct. 2000 (my sister saw them the night before and didn't wake any of us up) then a couple times in Deer River and one time at Vermillion in Oct. 2018. From time to time they been here in Colorado pictures in the paper or on the news but never been in the right place to see them. A couple times last may a lot of people saw them I went looking but went to bed to early before they started. Last night on the 10:00 O clock news the weather lady reported that you could see them. So I left the house and went to a state park that was closed a watched by the gate with quite a few other folks and for a few minutes I could see a pink area in the sky different then any other times I've seen them. A few miles out of town dark skies and lots of stars and the Coyotes howling. Perfect. A lesser chance tonight but may go looking anyway. I have a Northern Lights app on my phone and both last night and last May 0 chance for Northern Lights in my county??? Good thing the app was free.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)