Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ulterra

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ulterra
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/15/2024 8:23 AM (#1029127)
Subject: Ulterra

Thinking about selling my 60” Terrova 112 and buying a 72” ulterra but have heard a comment or two questioning the durability of the ulterra. It seems like there was a redesign in 2017 that reportedly fixed these issues:

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/product-news/is-the-minn-kota-u...

Any observations appreciated. There seem to be plenty of ulterras on the marketplace for half the cost of a new unit so I’m considering that route.

Would like to hear from pre/post 2017 unit owners…thank you

Edited by Cowboyhannah 6/15/2024 8:34 AM
North of 8
Posted 6/15/2024 9:44 AM (#1029129 - in reply to #1029127)
Subject: Re: Ulterra

Mine is post 2017, bought in 2021. I love it but I had to have the motor that turns right replaced under warranty and have an appointment to have that done again. Still works but loud, high pitched sound when turning right. Fellow at Northland Marine, largest Minnkota servicer in the Northwoods, said he did not know why, but is always the motor for right turn that has issues.
Fishing by myself a lot of the time, the self deploy and stow is great. On windy days in particular. I fish from an 18' tiller and now I just spot lock, go back, start the big motor, clip the kill switch to my pfd and then stow the Ulterra from my seat at the back of the boat. In the spring when fishing the shallows for panfish, great to be able to raise/lower the motor without having to manually raise/lower.
Only other issue I have is that about once a year I have lost pairing with the remote.
Relatively easy to pair but the signal that pairing has taken place is a high pitched beep. As an old guy with hearing loss, I have to practically put my ear on the power head to hear. (don't like wearing my hearing aids in boat). I wrote Minnkota and suggested they have an LED instead of a beep.

Edited by North of 8 6/15/2024 9:46 AM
pstrombe
Posted 6/15/2024 10:30 AM (#1029130 - in reply to #1029127)

I have run two different Ulterra's for over 5 years. 1st one went along with a boats I traded off three years ago. I haven't had any issues to date. I often have guests and they usually fish from the bow so I'm not running past them to stow the motor. I currently have 207 hours on the Yamaha 90 so figure minimum 4 of 5 times that on the Ulterra.
anderj85
Posted 6/15/2024 10:54 AM (#1029132 - in reply to #1029130)

I have a 2017 36v 72" ulterra that was new when I bought my boat in 2018. Based on hours I have on my graph, I estimate around 1000 hours of use. I have had 2 problems with it since then.
1. In 2022 on first time out in the spring the motor would not turn on. Water had gotten in the motor somewhere. I just purchased a whole new motor/shaft assembly then I didn't have to worry about identifying where the water leak originated. Obviously this problem wouldn't be unique to an ulterra.

2. Last year I had to replace the main control board. I was having some intermittent issues with spotlock turning off and one day it stopped responding to the remote and pedal. I had to do the emergency stow procedure, which was inconvenient and required a screwdriver. Not sure what caused the board failure but I had gotten in the habit of leaving it connected to power while charging the batteries which can fry the board.

So in 6 years I've only had 2 problems, and only one caused an ulterra specific inconvenience, and that easily could have been my fault for not disconnecting power while charging. I do occasionally lube the shaft with armor all and tighten the belt but I'm not super strict about maintenance. I recommend using the expensive minn kota plug it seems many issues are voltage related and people tend to cheat out on the power plug/wiring. I'd buy another, no question.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/16/2024 12:14 AM (#1029143 - in reply to #1029127)

Thanks for your replies. With one hip replacement done and another on the horizon, bending and stooping to stow the Terrova in 3-4 footers is going to be the end of me so it may be time to think safety first. Thanks again.
BNelson
Posted 6/16/2024 10:59 AM (#1029148 - in reply to #1029143)

I had 2. One was a 2023. Let me down a lot. Great when they work tho. If you do trips my advice take a terrova for a backup.

Edited by BNelson 6/16/2024 11:00 AM
vegas492
Posted 6/17/2024 1:58 PM (#1029162 - in reply to #1029127)

Yeah.....see the post above. I have an Ulterra, and it's been great for me. All are, right up until they are not. When I put mine on my boat, I put on the quick release mount, so that I can take it off quickly and safely.

I guess I was told that sometimes, stuff happens. But many times, things break down because they are not properly taken care of. After every use, I do spray some Tri Flow onto a paper towel and then gently rub that onto the belt.

I was also told to not overtighten the belt. There is a little hex head on the top of the motor. I check the tension on that belt and then give very slight turns on that hex to get things to where they need to be. I check that twice a year and usually end up tightening it a little bit. Talking about a 12:00 to 2:00 turn.

So far so good for me. And....I have one hip that has been replaced and need another one. I love the stow and deploy feature. Solo launches are much easier, now, too. Just make sure to have the trolling motor "on", first!!!!
gimruis
Posted 6/17/2024 2:55 PM (#1029167 - in reply to #1029127)

I have a couple friends who had an Ulterra but all the moving parts created issues in colder weather. I don't know where the OP is located, so maybe that is not an issue. They both went back to the Terrova.
FishHateMe
Posted 6/17/2024 6:56 PM (#1029171 - in reply to #1029127)

Another Ulterra fan here. Admittedly, back in 2019, it did get stuck in the raised vertical position about 1 month into ownership up on Eagle Lake, ON. I looked like quite the American idiot driving around with that thing at full mast (it would still go up and down vertically, so I could fish with it, just wouldn't stow flat). That was fixed under warranty, but no issues since, at least that weren't due to operator error.

The one boat network has been great and deploying or stowing from my cockpit as I pull up to or leave a spot is so awesome. I try to maintain by silicone spray on the belt a couple times a season, and some lithium grease at the pivot points. I'll check the belt tension next time I'm up to the cabin...good tip, Vegas.

No issues with cold weather (knock on wood). I guess I've just been lucky but everything breaks, and believe me, if it can break, I'll find a way to break it!
Cedar
Posted 6/18/2024 10:31 AM (#1029179 - in reply to #1029127)
Subject: RE: Ulterra

Have you considered an Ultrex, or are you only looking at Ulterra's? The Ultrex doesn't deploy, or stow itself, but it's a helluva motor. I prefer cable steer's, and the Ultrex having both cable & electric steer sold me on one.

Edited by Cedar 6/18/2024 10:32 AM
North of 8
Posted 6/18/2024 2:56 PM (#1029181 - in reply to #1029179)

Had another reason to like my Ulterra today. Decided to troll just off the weed edge rather than cast because of high winds. Hooked a fish and as soon as it was in the net, lowered the motor, hit spot lock and could then concentrate on getting the hooks out without being blown up on shore where the wind wanted to push me. Did this from the back of the boat. (fortunately, I had remembered to turn the trolling motor on before I left my dock. not always that smart)
TCESOX
Posted 6/18/2024 5:49 PM (#1029183 - in reply to #1029127)

I've been really pleased with my Ulterra. Had if for 3 years now, no issues. Like others, a little silicone at least once a year. I did keep my 24 volt Power Drive, and swap that in with the quick release plate for late fall fishing. Don't want to bother with mechanical issues that time of year. Just assuming that there could be issues with the Ulterra when it gets below freezing. Not a spring chicken anymore, and the stow and deploy makes fishing so much more pleasant. Also love the one boat network and often use the follow the contour when trolling. If you haven't tried 4 wheel drive trolling when you want to troll at speed, or when the wind is really making your batteries work, it's really cool. Makes trolling in wind effortless and saves battery.
Posted 6/21/2024 12:52 PM (#1029225 - in reply to #1029127)
Subject: RE: Ulterra

Have a 2022 Ulterra that is amazing when it works, pain in the a** when it doesn't. Have had it not stow and had to manually stow it (not easy in 3 foot waves on eagle lake) and recently had the motherboard go out on it. Wish I would have stuck with my Terrova. If I had the option again, would not buy another Ulterra
vegas492
Posted 6/24/2024 1:55 PM (#1029263 - in reply to #1029127)

In regards to the whole "hex head" and belt tightening...... I wouldn't say I had Ulterra issues, but I did notice a slight delay, then overcorrection by the motor when using the remote earlier this year. Once I tightened the belt, that went away. So, if you feel there is a lag, or delay from remote to motor, that might be something to look at.

And...once when I first got the motor, it was stuck in the down position. It would try to stow, but then it would stop and go back down. My wife googled it and while she was figuring out how to fix it, I noticed that the cords were really tight. I just straightened out the cords so that the cords were not "strangling" the unit when it went up, then all was fixed.

Again, they work great, right up until the time that they don't, so if you have one, also have a backup plan.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 6/25/2024 5:38 AM (#1029272 - in reply to #1029127)

The Ulterra is a good idea for people with physical limitations or balance issues, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. They are so quirky, if used regularly, problems will likely occur.

Also, a pivoting swing-arm style motor like a Ultrex or Garmin Force is much easier to stow and deploy than a Terrova or Kraken imo.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)