Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Knowing what you think is alot more important than thinking what you know
- (Added by: sworrall)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> bucktail making questions

Message Subject: bucktail making questions
dsqui
Posted 9/15/2015 4:28 PM (#784614)
Subject: bucktail making questions

so my first attempt at making one worked the blades spin i went with fluted #9 .040 indiana blades. i ran these on size 8 easy spin clevises (probably over kill) here is my question. the blades seem to have a very small angle to the body of the lure and dont flare out as much as my bucher twin tinsels i notice 4 things that different in lures 1 my blades are thicker 2 i ran bigger clevices 3 i made mine heavier to get deeper 4 i ran a smaller buffer beed next to my clevices. which one of these would affect blade angle during rotation or is it a combination of all 4? also will i get more thump or faster spin with the blades by going with smaller clevices? or do i need thinner blades? the wire i used for these is .051 and the hole on the clevice is mush larger then the wire. the blades spin great and the body flares real nice so its nothing major just trying to see if i can get different actions out of small changes.

also i was wondering if anyone has a chart that shows how much a bucktail should weight in correlation to the blade size (also to try and hit a certain depth) or just a starting point
anderj85
Posted 9/15/2015 7:19 PM (#784627 - in reply to #784614)
Subject: Re: bucktail making questions

There's an interesting article in the latest issue of in fisherman that answers those questions. The thicker blades won't flare out as much and therfore pull easier.
ToddM
Posted 9/15/2015 8:21 PM (#784631 - in reply to #784614)

Definitely the thicker blades.
NathanH
Posted 9/16/2015 8:23 AM (#784657 - in reply to #784631)

I agree with the above its your thicker blades. Regarding weights I honestly look at what is everyone else doing? There are so many great buck tail makers our their and the weight specs and blade size and thickness used is always listed. So if your looking for something that runs deeper or shallow look at those bucktails that have that reputation. Then you can branch out and do your own thing. Like adding more or less weight, bead size or position.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/16/2015 8:40 AM (#784659 - in reply to #784614)

One other thing to consider when going for a desired running depth with a bucktail other than weight would be the skirt design. What material and the amount can make a difference as well. For example I build a lot of bucktails with hair and feathers, bucktails with all the same components but different amounts of skirt material will run differently and at different depths.
Bytor
Posted 9/16/2015 11:03 AM (#784675 - in reply to #784614)

Thinner blades will spin faster and a size 6 clevis would work much better with that blade.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)