Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bucktails

Message Subject: Bucktails
ChiselTeeth
Posted 4/26/2014 4:37 PM (#708948)
Subject: Bucktails

Hello everyone , I have a general question about bucktails . I am trying to throw more in-line bucktails to have something other than my Bionic bucktails safety pin style from northland tackle . They have been great to me putting quite a few girls in the mid 40's in the boat . My first thought is let the mood of the fish tell me want they want but is there a general time of the year you guys prefer to through #8's , #10's , or ever #12's ? Thanks for any help
samuwenn
Posted 4/26/2014 6:18 PM (#708955 - in reply to #708948)
Subject: Re: Bucktails

I am under the impression small baits ie 8's till the water is warm 67*+ then burn 10's till fall then slow roll 12's try them all everyday at different speeds
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/27/2014 12:19 PM (#709002 - in reply to #708948)
Subject: RE: Bucktails

I used to be under the same impression. However the last two seasons have shown me some very different behavior from the fish in regards to bait size in early, mid or late season.

For me, I like to throw bucktails on low sky/big wind days. But I have seen some big fish on high sky/no wind days too. Generally, because the bait (brand non specific) is a great catching tool, I will usually start with them on any day under almost any circumstances. On the lake I fish most, muskies see a ridiculous amount of bucktails. Recently I have had better luck with 8s personally then 10s, 12s or 13s. Whether that is because of conditioning or confidence, no one knows. Even double 6s have shown some pretty large fish to me. For burning I enjoy throwing 8s. With smaller blades and less resistance you can really get em moving. But if you are like me and make your own, you can weight them heavier as I do, and when you slow roll them, you can really get em down there. Any size gives you the ability to do pretty much any number of different retrieve styles. Switch it up on every cast and see what happens. There are many more techniques to use with bucktails than just a simple fast/slow retrieve.

Good luck this season, I hope it will be a productive one for all
Zib
Posted 4/27/2014 1:48 PM (#709011 - in reply to #708948)

I don't use 12's but use 8's & 10's all season long. I get more action from 8's though but the 10's seem to get more looks from bigger fish & the large mouth bass seem to like the 10's a lot for some reason.

FISHFINDER101
Posted 4/28/2014 8:30 AM (#709092 - in reply to #708948)

I throw inline spinners about 80% of the time. I also build my own so that i can build them to do what i want and fish a variety of different water colums and it's also different than what a lot of others are throwing. I also like to use the safety pin style, especially when i want to start bumping logs or weeds. I found that bumping structure results in the majority of my strikes. One of the guys i spend a lot of time on the water with also likes using a spinner bait and i like i said i use an inline. If one is working better than others we'll both be using the same. I also make sure i change direction of my retrieval at least once on every cast. Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)