Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> hardheads

Message Subject: hardheads
#1netman
Posted 6/17/2013 9:22 PM (#647062)
Subject: hardheads

I just bought a hardhead this year and have played around with the weight system some. Weight on the back I can work it almost like a glider witch I didn't expect. Weight on the front an it fishes like a dawg. How do you guys prefer to weight them?
Team Rhino
Posted 6/17/2013 10:38 PM (#647076 - in reply to #647062)
Subject: Re: hardheads

I almost always run tail down with no weight.
CiscoKid
Posted 6/18/2013 6:12 AM (#647096 - in reply to #647062)
Subject: RE: hardheads

Do a search on here...if the search is working. Lots of info on teh hardheads. I will keep it short and sweet this time. Tail down with 1/2 oz-1oz weight in the head up through Oct. Oct-Dec. tail up with same amount of weight in the head. I never add weight to the back.

Bucketheads I run with no weight and tail up majority of the time, but I am also usually throwing those in the fall.
Mr Musky
Posted 6/18/2013 11:29 AM (#647183 - in reply to #647062)
Subject: Re: hardheads

Depends on what depth/structure you are fishing. If your targeting deep weeds then run tail down with weight to get it down quick and stay down throughout the retrieve. If your fishing over shallow weeds/rocks I recommend tail up with no weight so your bait doesnt get hung up, you can also run it as a slow crawling surface bait like this. There really is no wrong or right way as far as tail up/tail down, weights or no weights. It will be by far your most versatile bait in your box and they do catch a few fish!
curleytail
Posted 6/19/2013 12:58 PM (#647439 - in reply to #647062)
Subject: RE: hardheads

In the spring I usually run tail up with no weight or maybe a small weight in the front.

When the water warms up and I'm trying to work the bait faster and keep it down 8-12 feet I run tail down with more weight. Sometimes I run the two heaviest weights both front and back so I can rip it back to the boat and keep it running deep.

Tail up give the bait a more nose up attitude on the pull, a bit more pause as it pivots to turn head down, and more wobble on the pull and the drop.

Tail down lets the bait run deeper with a little less wobble.

If the bait is tending to the left or right, turning the tail slightly one way or another is the only tuning needed to make it run straight also. Basically, the big tail is a rudder on this bait.

Tucker
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)