Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hook questions

Message Subject: Hook questions
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/21/2013 1:56 PM (#619462)
Subject: Hook questions

I am new to musky hunting and have a couple questions regarding changing out hooks.

1- I have some Eagle Claw 374 hooks I was thinking of using. I have read on here they don't have to be sharpened because of the bend at the tip. But, when I check them, they do not stick to my nail like sharpened Mustads. Are they sharp enough out of the box, or how do I sharpen them without messing up the bend?

2- Long vs Short Shank hooks.
Many of my baits come with short shank hooks. Should I swap them out for long shank hooks? I am already upsizing the hooks on some baits where it doesn't affect the action.

Thanks
Veithr3293
Posted 2/21/2013 2:33 PM (#619477 - in reply to #619462)
Subject: RE: Hook questions

In my experience I prefer short hooks on the belly of baits because I've had an american hardwood mini destroyed by the belly hook sticking into the bait
muskie! nut
Posted 2/21/2013 3:03 PM (#619497 - in reply to #619462)
Subject: Re: Hook questions

1 I would sharpen them so that they are sticky sharp. Just don't get too agressive with the file (maybe use emery cloth instead of a file?)

2 It really depends on the bait. sometimes you can go real big (like bucktails) and not impede the action. Other times just increasing one size can kill it. Great thing is that if it kills the action, you just go smaller (or back to the original size) hooks and you are good to go. Pay attention to the action before and after. As far as short shank vs long shank, sometimes you don't have a choice as using a long shank may foul with the other hook and ruin a cast. Make sure you have the area to have the long shank before you put them on (for good).
Brad P
Posted 2/21/2013 3:24 PM (#619507 - in reply to #619462)

IMO, it depends on the bait as said above. For plugs, rather than going small, I would suggest bending the treble to a "T", such that the "flat" side of the "T" is what hits the lure. This will increase hooking % and reduce the risk of hook rash. This trick also works well on rubber.

I run Mustad 3551 7/0 on the vast majority of my baits and haven't noticed too many problems. Obviously if you are having issues with the bait constantly fouling on the cast or notice a reduced action then maybe you should go to something smaller.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/21/2013 4:39 PM (#619538 - in reply to #619462)

Thanks. I will try the emory board, I don't have a cloth but can use my daughters emory board to try it out. I was also going to ask about T'ing hooks, so thanks for answering that. I will try it out on some old rusted hooks first.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)