Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Which tranx

Message Subject: Which tranx
Chain Gang
Posted 1/7/2013 8:38 AM (#608173)
Subject: Which tranx

I am wondering which tranx to pick up this winter, can someone list advantages/ disadvantages to both models? Thanks
Brad P
Posted 1/7/2013 9:05 AM (#608183 - in reply to #608173)
Subject: Re: Which tranx

PG is 32" per crank and is all about Power. Think Tractor
HG is 42" per crank with less power than above, but a lot more speed. Think Muscle Car

The speed difference is obvious. The power is a little misleading. The HG will pull a dbl 10 with ease. It will pull 13s with moderate ease. The PG makes 13s feel like nothing. (I'm not exaggerating, the reel is a horse)

The line pick up on the HG has other advantages, like when doing large rips with thingsl like dawgs. The power on the PG make it an amazing night reel, especially if slow rolling is your thing. The PG can also be used to rip giant minnow baits (think 14" jakes) with just a turn of the handle. This can allow someone to use some of these more monstrous presentations with much less phyiscal abuse from the baits. What I'm getting at is both reels offer versatility depending on how you fish. Which one to get really comes down to how you like to fish. If you get most of your action on blades then the HG is probably the reel for you. If you fish a broader swath of the season you might find the PG more to your liking.
FAT-SKI
Posted 1/7/2013 11:15 AM (#608213 - in reply to #608183)

Brad P - 1/7/2013 9:05 AM

PG is 32" per crank and is all about Power. Think Tractor
HG is 42" per crank with less power than above, but a lot more speed. Think Muscle Car

The speed difference is obvious. The power is a little misleading. The HG will pull a dbl 10 with ease. It will pull 13s with moderate ease. The PG makes 13s feel like nothing. (I'm not exaggerating, the reel is a horse)

---------

I used Brad P's tranx this last fall and he had me throwing 13s on his PG tranx. Lets just put it this way. A bass sized rattle trap on my spinning reel has more pull than 13s do on the Tranx. Again, NOT an exaggeration
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/8/2013 3:37 PM (#608463 - in reply to #608213)

Average Joe - 1/8/2013 11:04 AM

Yeah, I talked to Mark at Dave's reel service and he indicated that he'd been doing quite a few repairs on these reels for that very reason.

I don't know if the later models had some changes made to help prevent this, but the early versions sucked.

I think I jumped a bit to soon, probabaly should've waited to get some intel on them, to find out if it was worth the money.

One thing I noticed that was a problem with these reels, was the fact that the level wind doesn't move as the line is coming off the reel, so this causes major backlash and casting issues.

Average Joe sorry YOU had problems with your Tranx reels, but what I don't understand is if you sent your 2 reels back to Shimano, they would have replaced the reels with the latest and best Tranx. I have Tuned about 20 Tranx reels this winter and I just sent 2 Tranx reels back to one of the biggest names in the sport, who I bet fished the hell out them last year and he never had any problems with the reel engaging on the cast.
I have use one maybe 2 months of last year my self and all I can say is that reel will last me for years.
As far as the Dis - Engaging Level Wind system causing backlashes, How ????
ask any Curado owner if they had any problems with them, none that I know of.
I wonder how tight you had the line on the spool, loose line on the spool will causes backlashes, and did you over fill the spool ???? On my Tranx I have only 3 pins out on the spool and I never have any problems with backlashes.
If you still have them send them to SHIMANO.
The biggest reason you see them for sale is they are BIG reels and some guys find that they can not use them for long periods of time without there hands cramping up if they plam the reel.
If you are going to Chicago show stop by and I'lll look at your Tranx reels and see if I see anything I can help you with.
esoxone
Posted 1/11/2013 4:49 AM (#608981 - in reply to #608173)

The Tranx PG is an all purpose reel.

esoxone
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)