Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Silence - after setting the hooks into Wilson's admirer and only retrieving an empty quick-strike rig. Gary to Mike.
- (Added by: MuskyTaleMike)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Silicone molds

Message Subject: Silicone molds
musky slut
Posted 6/21/2012 12:15 PM (#566711)
Subject: Silicone molds

Are any of you all using silicone molds for making rubber platisol baits ? Would just do plaster but I have some undercuts .
Figured I would ask before I buy some .

Thanks,
Dinver
Pikopath
Posted 6/21/2012 1:56 PM (#566737 - in reply to #566711)
Subject: Re: Silicone molds

Yes, I use RTV Silicone for my molds. No problems what so ever.

Michael
rocko
Posted 6/21/2012 10:28 PM (#566896 - in reply to #566711)
Subject: RE: Silicone molds

You don't want to use plaster if you want the mold to last with Alumilite. Plaster works well with rubber baits (plastisol) but the hard plastic baits won't come out of the mold too well and the mold won't last long. The RTV silicone is flexible and allows you to get the bait out. Plenty of Googling to do and you will find lots of tutorials on how to. Larry Dahlberg's site is an excellent start and he will teach you from start to finish. The RTV provides great detail and you can duplicate your baits perfectly. The only trick is to make a great original!

Rocko
blackriver
Posted 6/22/2012 5:21 AM (#566931 - in reply to #566711)

If you are making rubber lures the plaster molds will work for a while. A buddy of mine coats the inside of the plaster molds with epoxy to smooth them out. If you have a design that has undercuts spend the cash, save yourself the headaches and buy the RTV silicone. If you look on ebay or google RTV silicone you can find it cheaper than other "lure" sites
musky slut
Posted 6/22/2012 8:33 AM (#566969 - in reply to #566711)

Thanks for the reply's it's going to be a little while until I get to the mold , working slowly on the original . I appreciate the help

Dinver
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)