Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Karavan Trailers

Reply New post
Message Subject: Karavan Trailers
MuskieMike
Posted 5/3/2011 11:39 AM (#496556)
Subject: Karavan Trailers

I have a Karavan trailer under my Tuffy. The axle has broken once already, and been re-welded. I just noticed yesterday, the passenger side tire is completely bald on the inside, the rest of the tire is fine. It appears as though the hub is not square to the axle. At this point, I'm ready to just replace the whole Axle, and both hubs, with a heavier duty axle (3500 lb). Has anyone done this themselves? It looks pretty simple, It's just u bolts holding it all on to the trailer?
jtroop
Posted 5/3/2011 8:46 PM (#496708 - in reply to #496556)
Subject: Re: Karavan Trailers

I replaced a spring and spring hanger on my Karavan last year. If yours is the same/similar to mine I think it'll be as easy as you've surmised.
Jeffw84
Posted 5/8/2011 12:49 PM (#497382 - in reply to #496708)

I think most of the trailer tires wear that way. I have a shorelander trailer and they always have dont that and I need to replace them every other year. the tire shop said most of them do this.
cjrich
Posted 5/8/2011 2:05 PM (#497391 - in reply to #496556)

I found that checking the tire pressure on my trailer tires REGULARLY and then topping them off when necessary radically decreased the tire wear.

For me it's a hassle stopping to fill those tires ... but it sure beats shelling out hundreds every couple of years.

Edited by cjrich 5/8/2011 2:06 PM
muskydg
Posted 5/8/2011 8:15 PM (#497442 - in reply to #496556)
Subject: RE: Karavan Trailers

I had a Trailmaster trailer due the same thing, ate tires. Most trailers that you buy are not heavy enough. When you buy a boat and trailer package you get the lightest and cheapest trailer. They are made to handle mostly the boat and motor, and that's all. You start adding all the extra weight of all your gear an gas and kicker motors, they are over loaded. Always get a heavier trailer than what they try to sell you with a package. I did, and have not had a problem since. My tires wear very well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)