Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Lets take them home and release 'em in Lake Crisco"
- (Added by: The Dogger)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Sealing Wood?

Message Subject: Sealing Wood?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/18/2011 8:36 AM (#493662)
Subject: Sealing Wood?

Being an electrical engineer, I don't work with wood much other than burning it.

What do you use to seal cedar that will be in contact with water for 8-12 hrs at a time? I'm working on a project and need it to be waterproof. I was considering using tung oil as a sealer. But, I don't know if I can paint over it with anything else. No, its not a fishing lure. I'll post some photo's when I'm done.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Have fun!
Al
sKunKt
Posted 4/18/2011 9:10 AM (#493669 - in reply to #493662)
Subject: Re: Sealing Wood?

marine grade epoxy
h2os2t
Posted 4/18/2011 10:02 AM (#493675 - in reply to #493669)

I seal my lures with thinned epoxy, I use system 3 (its made for wooden boats) and thin with lacquer thinner but etex can be thinned with denatured alcohol. With cedar it would take a couple of coats as it sucks up the thinned epoxy (which is good) and gets deep. by the time you are done it is pretty waterproof but takes time for the epoxy to set being thinned. System three as multiple choices if you go to there website http://www.systemthree.com/
Muskie Treats
Posted 4/18/2011 10:25 AM (#493681 - in reply to #493662)

www.rotdoctor.com

I used to have big issues with my baits taking on water until I started using this stuff. It's much more viscus then water and it soaks right into the maple I use. Maple has a much tighter grain then cedar so you may need to use 2 coats. I've been very pleased with the results I've seen.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 4/19/2011 12:29 PM (#493900 - in reply to #493681)

Hey Al,
At this age it is hard to remember names of componets I have used in the past while doing full commercial work. But go to Sherwyn Williams and ask them about a wood sealer they have. You can only get it in a 5 gallon bucket.
Soak the wood in it till it quits making bubbles than hang and let dry 48 hours than paint away. I used it on many hundreds of wooden baits with no problem.
Hate getting old!!!!!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)