Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Advice for trolling set up?

Message Subject: Advice for trolling set up?
Great Big
Posted 9/30/2010 7:57 PM (#461593)
Subject: Advice for trolling set up?

What do you all consider for an ideal trolling rod and reel? Rod length? Line weight? Leader length. Preferred speed and how far behind boat? Yes, newb questions, but I'm learning!
MuskieMike
Posted 9/30/2010 8:00 PM (#461596 - in reply to #461593)
Subject: RE: Advice for trolling set up?

Weel, I run 3 different rod legnths/powers depending on it's job. For planer boards: 10 foot Okuma Mooching rods with Okuma Magda 45 line counters. I also run 8 ft MH Shimano TDRs, and St. Croix Glass 7 foot XHs with Okuma Magda 30s. It all depends on your style, and which baits your pulling.
CU301DSV
Posted 9/30/2010 8:41 PM (#461602 - in reply to #461593)
Subject: Re: Advice for trolling set up?

Been using Okuma 8' EVX Musky series trolling rods with Convector 30 Line counters for boat rods , back rods and planer boards.
Huskie Muskie
Posted 10/1/2010 8:22 AM (#461630 - in reply to #461593)

Leaders are fairly simple. You want to go with something heavier than for casting because they take a lot more pounding. Unless your are bouncing lures around a lot of rocky areas, fluorocarbon is the way to go. I use 150 lb. (Around rock use wire) Going lighter has little advantage unless you are using very small lures and the heavier line may reduce the action. Because of the constant strain on the leader loops, loop protectors or thimbles are really a good idea.

As far as length is concerned, in normal water, muddy to lightly stained, three foot is the minimum. Muskies will roll in the line and the heavy fluorocarbon will cause far less damage than braided line. For super clear water, like the St Lawrence, you might want to consider up to 6 foot fluorocarbon leaders.

For line, go for 100 lb in the brand that you are confident in.

Bill
huskiemuskie.ca
Muskie Bob
Posted 10/1/2010 11:47 AM (#461652 - in reply to #461593)

hey, I'm not much into trolling. However, I recently experienced trolling with Captain Brett Jolly. He used planer boards, which I ordered a couple yesterday. After meeting and discussing the use of planer boards, I can see how they are productive.

You may want to review his site, etc. He truly is a great guide.

http://www.captainjollycharters.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)