Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 10'-12' Glass Trolling Rods

Message Subject: 10'-12' Glass Trolling Rods
Posted 5/4/2009 12:19 PM (#375973)
Subject: 10'-12' Glass Trolling Rods

I’m looking for some rods in the 10’-12’ length, glass and capable of handling bigger baits, at least 10” Believers/10” Slammers, 14” Jakes a plus. Anyone using any 10’-12’ glass trolling rods that they like? I’ve heard a little about a St. Croix Saltwater series rod around 11’ and some other offshore saltwater casting rods. I think Thorne Brothers makes some custom trolling rods with the St. Croix blanks. I’ve found some great lakes dipsy/planer rods but I don’t think they could handle bigger baits well.

The rod has to be able to fit into my downeaster S-14 as well. Most of what I’ve found in this length range is 2 piece, doubt I’m going to find any 1 piece rods. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with something similar, that’ d be great.
R Wolff
Posted 5/5/2009 8:20 PM (#376285 - in reply to #375973)
Subject: RE: 10'-12' Glass Trolling Rods

I troll 14 inch jakes....and catch a fish once in a while.....exra long rods are to hard to controll big fish next to the boat.... I use 8 to 8.5 footers.

Good luck
reelman
Posted 5/5/2009 8:22 PM (#376286 - in reply to #375973)
Subject: Re: 10'-12' Glass Trolling Rods

I have found rods designed for Dipsey Divers are just about perfect for trolling big baits. These rods are normally available in 8'-10' range.
tcbetka
Posted 5/5/2009 8:58 PM (#376301 - in reply to #376286)

I have a couple 10-foot Ugly Sticks, but prefer the 9-foot Shimano Telora rods. The 7-footers are nice as well, and someone on this forum told me that they were virtually indestructible. I seem to recall a thread a couple of years ago where a couple guys tried to break a Telora by using it a lever to lift a dumpster off the ground...but it didn't break. That was good enough for me, so I bought 4 of them.

Since then I have put several fish over 35-pounds into the boat, in water temps down to 35 degrees--and outside air temperatures in the low 20s. These rods are tough enough for me, but I always have the Ugly Sticks available in reserve.

TB
Jsondag
Posted 5/5/2009 9:38 PM (#376314 - in reply to #375973)

Get the St.Croix Surf casting rods, they are unbelievable trolling rods - Gregg Thomas introduced them to me a few years ago. PSRS106H2 is the model you are looking for, it is a 10'6" heavy. The handles are long which believe it or not can be trimmed down with a hacksaw without really effecting the action. I had two customs made last year - a 10'6" and 11'6". They are awesome, best trolling rods ever - Just make sure you've got a net man - tough to net alone with a rod that long!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)