Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling Rods - for running boards and straight down

Message Subject: Trolling Rods - for running boards and straight down
skylounge
Posted 3/8/2009 5:20 PM (#364953)
Subject: Trolling Rods - for running boards and straight down

Muskie Guys/Gals,
This year I began trolling for 'skies and would like to outfit myself with the proper equipment for next season. What are your favorite rod choices for pulling boards for 'skies on Green Bay, and what would be your favorite rod choice for running "stright down" with the availablity to handle speed trolling. I likely will not be pulling anything enormous, as I will be spending most of my time on Green Bay and more urban waters of Southern Wisconsin.
Thanks!
Any line counter reel sugguestions are welcome too...
DavidL
Posted 3/15/2009 1:27 AM (#366253 - in reply to #364953)
Subject: Re: Trolling Rods - for running boards and straight down

I like Daiwa "Trolling 80B".
tuffy1
Posted 3/15/2009 9:06 AM (#366278 - in reply to #366253)

There are lots of posts that will give you some good ideas if you do a search for trolling rods, but I'll try to help with what I run to save you some time.

I use Shimano TDRs for my board rods and wash rods (9'er for the boards and 8'ers for the down rods) and the Okuma Mooching rod (10'er) for my down rods (middle of the spread). Both rods are going to run $20-$30 so you won't have to break the bank. The mooching rods are nice as the have a good backbone and spread you lines nicely with the lenght. The TDRs you'll see come up in a lot of posts as well.

For reels, you'll get a million different opinions but I run the Okuma Magdas as well as the Okuma Convectors. The Magdas are less expensive and so far have held up to 2 years of trolling for both muskies and salmon on the great lakes. The COnvectors are the next step up and are excellent trolling reels and have held up very good as well with some heavy duty trolling (and dual sucker reels in the fall). I used to troll a ton on the SE Wisco lakes, and still do troll throughout the year down here, and also put a lot of hours on Lake Michigan for Salmon when the waters heat up around here in the summer.

Hopefully this helps a bit. Like I said though, you'll see other opinions if you do a search on this topic.
Muskie4Life
Posted 3/15/2009 9:47 PM (#366378 - in reply to #366278)

Joel,

Which Okuma rod are you referring to. I want to get a 10'er but wasn't sure I was looking at the right rod. If you could give me a model number that would be great. I couldn't find one that said Mooching. I don't even know what mooching is?? I always thought it was what my sister-in-law does to me.LOL

M4L
tuffy1
Posted 3/16/2009 7:46 AM (#366410 - in reply to #366378)

Jarrod,

The "Mooching" rod is a dipsy rod for our purposes. I tried to find them on their website, but apparently I stink at searching. lol Here's a link to the Blue Diamond series with a 10' mooching/dipsy rod. http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Blue-Diamond-Trolling-Rods_p.html

The nice thing about them is that they have a ton of backbone, but a fast tip. They have done well for us the past few seasons dragging anything from dipsys to 10" Jakes and anything inbetween.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)