Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> chicken feather rust

Message Subject: chicken feather rust
stinger
Posted 7/1/2008 8:48 AM (#324545)
Subject: chicken feather rust

Seems my feather spinnerbaits are rusting out the main hook. The hackle holds water too long even hanging in the bait box. Some aren't even a year old and already heading towards the useless bait pile. Just live with it?
PamuskEhunt
Posted 7/1/2008 12:20 PM (#324600 - in reply to #324545)
Subject: RE: chicken feather rust

live and learn...I'd say if you leave them out they dry quicker than you believe, so leave them out before you put them away.
jah1317
Posted 7/18/2008 2:45 PM (#327176 - in reply to #324600)
Subject: RE: chicken feather rust

my thought would be that the fish REALLY don't mind that much. They are either gonna eat it or not. Also, the colors and patterns are less for the fish and more for the angler who knows, maby muskies love rust let's face it, chickens are not a common natural prey although given the chance I am sure they would try.
curleytail
Posted 7/19/2008 9:40 PM (#327279 - in reply to #324545)
Subject: Re: chicken feather rust

I don't have any marabou spinnerbaits but I do have a few marabou bucktails. I usually leave them hanging in my Lakewood, but I open the top up and leave it open until my next trip out. I have not had a problem with anything rusting yet. If nothing else, hang them somewhere out in the open when you get them home.

curleytail
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/21/2008 5:23 PM (#327528 - in reply to #327279)
Subject: Re: chicken feather rust

Marabou holds more water then Neck Hackel or Saddle hackel, you get your best action from Hackel over Marabou. I leave my Muskie Dusters hang in the boat till dry. You can just leave your feather tails hang in the boat till you go back home from a trip. Before you hang them up give them a good shake just like a dog shakes and hang them up. I'v been tying My Muskie Duster's since about the 1980's and the only complants, I get are from fishermen that have not dried out their baits before they lock them up in a air tight tackle box. I have found out that feathers will stand up to bucktails about the same over a long period of time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)