Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting With Glass?

Message Subject: Casting With Glass?
Muskies Vs Mike
Posted 9/17/2007 1:14 PM (#275309)
Subject: Casting With Glass?

Was looking at rods and the Musky Innovations Glass rods caught my eye. I was wondering how the rod would do for casting baits? Was basically wondering if anyone uses glass rods to cast with or are they to soft for a good hookset?

Mike Warren
muskie! nut
Posted 9/18/2007 7:09 PM (#275565 - in reply to #275309)
Subject: Re: Casting With Glass?

I shattered a 7'6" MH Premier Croix rod on a big fish once and purchased a Croix ProGlass, but I was not real happy with the way it casts. The action was too slow for my liking. I use it for a sucker rod now.
RICK'S ROD
Posted 9/19/2007 7:24 AM (#275635 - in reply to #275565)

I have been testing a composite proto-type a nine foot rod from Lamiglas for the last 5 weeks. I had requested this rod to be used as a trolling rod for large baits and possibly as a sucker rod. The composite has the better properties of both the fiberglass and graphite.

We started casting with this rod and were very surprised by its abilities. I have thrown everything from a regular BullDawg to the Pounder and the 13" Suzy Sucker with it. It casts extremely well.

An added benefit is that it get great hooksets and you can play a fish very easily. On two of the fish I caught this weekend, both trebles were buried in the mouth and had to be cut.

Everyone in my boat that has thrown the rod has wanted one. The rod is built on Lamiglas's TriFlex blank and you would almost have to drive over it to do any damage to the rod. This rod will be in the line up for next year. I believe you will be able to get the rod in lengths from 7 1/2 to 9'. If you are intereseted in a rod lilke this, send me an e-mail and I will see what I can do.

Rick

[email protected]
Whoolligan
Posted 9/19/2007 1:12 PM (#275690 - in reply to #275309)

I've been using a Glass rod for cranks for a while, and I"m semi-fond of it. It's nice to have a little give, but the thing is so heavy that it gets cumbersome after casting all day.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/20/2007 8:26 AM (#275816 - in reply to #275309)
Subject: RE: Casting With Glass?

I absolutely love my 8' XH Fig Rig glass rod for casting the double 10 lures such as AC-10's. The extra weight of the rod really gives my arms a break. Loads up great too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)