Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Twitching techniques

Message Subject: Twitching techniques
bchunter26
Posted 6/12/2007 4:07 PM (#260577)
Subject: Twitching techniques

When twitching a shallow raider, 8" Jake, a crane bait ect what techniques works best for you? Do you use your wrists to make hard short taps or do you pull and reel? Is there a technique or method that triggers fish better then others?

Thanks
musky-skunk
Posted 6/12/2007 5:05 PM (#260597 - in reply to #260577)
Subject: RE: Twitching techniques

I start off pumping the baits (pull and reel) but throw in some hard twitches part way back to try and trigger a fish. If they hit the bait while being pumped I'll keep doing what I'm doing. If the fish hit on the hard rips and twitches than I'll start doing that throughout the entire retrieve. I guess you just have to experiment until the fish tell you what they want.

The bad part about musky fishing though is it can be awhile till one lets you now.
Marc J
Posted 6/12/2007 5:34 PM (#260600 - in reply to #260597)

Haven't twitched much in spring but by July I'm ripping a 10 inch Jake as hard as I can. Rip it, reel up, rip it again, hard and erratic. I don't think it's possible to rip it too hard.
curleytail
Posted 6/12/2007 10:47 PM (#260640 - in reply to #260577)

Early this year I had a little luck (not a lot but some) twitching a Big Game twitchbait. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I used my wrist to twitch, twitch, twitch,....twitch......twitch, twitch, twitch. Depending on the day I sped up or slowed down the cadence, but it was usually a few medium speed twitches with a brief pause. I would say it's almost like tapping a glider.

I used an 8 foot rod for this and it worked fairly well, but a 7'6" would have been a little better. The other day I put on an 8 inch Jake, and tried to quickly snap the rod about three times, then reel up the slack. It really made that bait dance in ways I didn't think a crankbait would. Left, up, right, down. Almost as erratic as a glider. I used a 7 foot rod for that, and the shorter length made the short quick snaps a little easier.

With things like jerkbaits and twitchbaits, I don't think there is a wrong way to fish them. The fish might tell you the "right" way, but you'll just have to experiment.

Think of it this way, make the bait look at least somewhat tempting or natural. Dart/wobble/flash, pause. Make it erratic, and vary the cadence from fast to slow throughout the day to see what is working best.

Hope some of that made a little sense.

Curleytail

dogboy
Posted 6/13/2007 10:14 AM (#260699 - in reply to #260577)

there are times when twitching is what shows you fish and there are times when just a simple straight retrieve no "getting jiggy wit it" will get the nod. I suggest trying both, straight crank for a while slow\fast, throw some pauses in there.
then work your way up through the spectrum, start throwing some snaps in there with PAUSES, then move onto the "body movin" where you look like your dancing in the boat cause youre working the bait so erratically that dudes in the other boat are motoring in the opposite direction.
You have to try everything with them, and the fish will show you what they want.
slow- fast- pauses, rips, taps, jerks, pulls. do it all,

I used to go out with a certain minnowbait, and do the same old pattern.
jerk, reel , jerk, reel, jerk jerk, pause, and repeat, sometimes they would crush it, other times I wouldn't even get a looker, it wasn't unitl I started varrying my retrieves did I notice that they wanted something different from day to day.
trust me, when you come to the boat landing with sore arms and a couple fish to boot, youre going to go out there the next day, do the same thing, with no results, you will realize yesterday the fish were working hard, so was I, today, they were resting, I should have been too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)