Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> new front boat deck

Reply New post
Message Subject: new front boat deck
mikie
Posted 1/8/2007 11:11 AM (#230705)
Subject: new front boat deck

Well, winter time is upon us and a project that I've been putting off is now looming.
I have my dad's old 1978 16 ft. Basstracker, and the front deck is getting pretty soft under the seat pedestal. So, before I go 'head over heels' during a catch (or, more likely, a cast), I'm going to try to replace it. I contacted Tracker and there are no readily available sketches of the underside support structure. So I guess my first job is to remove the old deck and see what's under there. The deck is approx. 4x6 ft.

I've been advised to use 5/8 or 3/4 exterior plywood, and coat it with an epoxy resin on both sides. I'll use stainless screws and dollop some epoxy into the pre-drilled holes before screwing. I'll need to see what supports are under there, what shape they are in, and what needs replaced; I also want ot build a support box around my new location for the pedistal seat. Finally, glue and carpet with outdoor carpet.

That's as much of my plan as I have together right now, so any suggestions, additions, and offers of assistance are certainly welcome at this point. Thanks so much. m
VMS
Posted 1/8/2007 11:51 AM (#230719 - in reply to #230705)
Subject: RE: new front boat deck

Hi Mikie,

The original floor should have screws holding it down, so that should be able to give you a good idea of where the supports are. If you take good measurements from a center line on the deck running to the bow, you should be able to lay out lines for drilling holes and mounting the deck.

If you plan on carpeting the deck, be sure to cut about 1/8" less on the deck so you can wrap the carpet around and under.

Sounds like a fun project though...

Good Luck

Steve
mikie
Posted 1/8/2007 1:09 PM (#230755 - in reply to #230705)

Thanks, Steve, I'd thought about cutting it short and wrapping the carpet to anchor it better, I just didn't want to create a pathway for water.
Precision cuts sound like the solution. If I want to glue the deck wood to the supports and then screw, will the carpet interfere?

Good suggestion on how to measure for the holes. thanks again, m
Shep
Posted 1/8/2007 2:20 PM (#230778 - in reply to #230755)

Use the existing floor piese(s) as a template, if you can remove them intact.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/8/2007 2:34 PM (#230786 - in reply to #230705)

Remember to get out your digital camera and take pics after each time you take something apart. That way you'll have your own instructions to put it back together. Something I wish I'd have done on several projects...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)