Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Suckers

Message Subject: Suckers
esoxaddict
Posted 11/7/2006 4:23 PM (#219503)
Subject: Suckers

You've had the little guy rigged up all day and now...

After a long day of hanging there, he's kind of half swimming and half floating. You've tried reviving him in the livewell, which worked the first few times, but now? Well, that sucker is just spent. Not dead, definitely still alive, but not swimming around like a good sucker should.

What do you do with him?

My inclination would have been to just toss him over the side of the boat as he had served his purpose (not very well I might add, you're supposed to make the muskies eat you!)

Anyway...

Last time I was out fishing with suckers the person I was fishing with removed one from his rig and *WHONK!!* against the gunnel. (wow, he doesn't look like he's that mad. I know we're not having the best day, but wow...)

I didnt say anything.

Next sucker -- *WHONK, WHONK!!*

(Curiosity now getting the better of me, wondering what happens to my head if I make him angry)

"Hey uhhhh... Why to you bash 'em against the side of the boat like that?"

I don't want to FEED the muskies, I want to CATCH 'em!

Well, duh. I never thought of that, but yeah, what a dumb thing to do, take a sucker that's just kind of half dead and toss it in the water when you're trying to catch muskies. Its kind of like throwing a steak so you can catch a dog!

Am I the only one who never thought of that???

sucker chucker
Posted 11/7/2006 4:24 PM (#219505 - in reply to #219503)
Subject: RE: Suckers

you don't think muskies will eat dead suckers? guess again.
esoxnut
Posted 11/7/2006 8:43 PM (#219567 - in reply to #219503)

A friend of mine who is to cheap to buy suckers uses bluegills, not the worst idea but I prefer the real thing. In the middle of summer we went out and he had saved some gills from the day before. They had been dead for several hours(very stiff, losing color, and belly up). He had a gill about 5 feet down right next to the boat when suddenly the drag goes out. To my ammazment I look over the side of the boat to see the gill being chomped on by an upper 30's.
Of coarse he did manage to miss the fish.
Please keep in mind that I had a nice, fat, juicy, LIVE SUCKER not 6 feet away from the dead gill and the fish chose the stinky dead one.
In the past I would remove dieing suckers and replace them with fresh ones, now I just kick the bowmount up a notch and drag-em along. Adding a swivle and some extra weight close to the suckers nose seems to keep them from spinning.
Do what makes you confidant.
TIGHT LINES, JT
muskyboy
Posted 11/7/2006 9:07 PM (#219576 - in reply to #219503)

Live suckers are best, but dead suckers still work. I catch muskies on dead sticked lures, so just add a double colorado tail gunner for flash and let that dead guy drag behind the boat with a weight to keep it down
Dewman
Posted 11/7/2006 10:31 PM (#219585 - in reply to #219503)

In Wisconsin, it is illegal to release bait fish into the water if they are even a little alive. You need to gut 'em, or conk 'em before you drop them overboard. The DNR would prefer that you toss them in the dumpster at the launch.

The only time you can throw them overboard is if you caught them in the same lake you are fishing on, like your buddy with the bluegills.

Good luck draggin' that meat!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)