Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> musky vs suckers and the strike zone

Message Subject: musky vs suckers and the strike zone
ToddM
Posted 11/16/2004 9:01 PM (#125332)
Subject: musky vs suckers and the strike zone

The common theory with muskies is they feed up since their eyes up up on top of their head. Their favorite forage on most waters is suckers, a bottom dwelling fish. So are bullheads, tadpoles, crayfish and steve worrall's jigs. In order for them to feed on these things they must be able to see them correct? These would all be at best eyesite level if the muskies were on the very bottom. Can muskies see below them?
nwild
Posted 11/17/2004 11:48 AM (#125385 - in reply to #125332)
Subject: RE: musky vs suckers and the strike zone

No they can not see directly below them, they can see down however, depending on the angle their body is in the water.

The key thing they can do is feel things below them. Their lateral line is very sensitive and they can use it to key in on the right "frequencies" that mean food.

I don't think working below the fish is always a high percentage deal because you are below their sightline and you lose one of your triggering mechanisms. It can be done with good results at times though. I equate it to fishing in very muddy or extremely stained water. Very seldom is sight the initial trigger in these waters, so you know they can feel the food.
Ralph Florio
Posted 11/17/2004 1:58 PM (#125405 - in reply to #125332)

Todd,

The past 4 weeks I have been having GREAT success using Fuzzy Duzzits in very deep water.
I've been marking bait fish very deep and ON THE BOTTOM in anywhere from 26' to 42' of water.
I drop my jig down till it hits bottom and reel it in two or three cranks then I start jigging.
This has accounted for a lot of fish in my boat this Fall, I have a few three fish days and one five fish day doing this, with ALL fish coming from just off the bottom.

I think the high vibration from the Fuzzy is what is actually triggering these fish to hit since it is so deep (4-5 fish have come from 40'-42' down). I don't really know how well a fish can see in that deep of water especially the stained water that we fish. My guess is that they can't see very well at all that deep.
ToddM
Posted 11/18/2004 8:46 PM (#125528 - in reply to #125332)

My real queation here is how can they effectivley feed on suckers if they are on the bottom?
Muskieotter
Posted 11/27/2004 9:20 PM (#126272 - in reply to #125332)

I agree with nwild and Ralph. Muskies cannot see below themselves but can sense vibration/movement and turn to see your bait. Here is an excellent study on muskie eyesight from trent university at: http://www.trentu.ca/muskie/biology/biol07.html . If anthing its good educational reading about muskies.

MuskieOtter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)