Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> trolling motor interference with sonar

Reply New post
Message Subject: trolling motor interference with sonar
jeffo
Posted 6/11/2004 9:29 AM (#109427)
Subject: trolling motor interference with sonar

my dad has a skeeter ZX1790T. he just switched from a 74# maxum to a 74# vector. he now has a lot of interference with his indash zercom flasher. any ideas why changing motors would make a difference and how to fix it?

thanks!
jo
rpike
Posted 6/11/2004 9:52 AM (#109438 - in reply to #109427)
Subject: RE: trolling motor interference with sonar

My 12V Autopilot caused a fair bit of interference with my Zercom Classic flasher. The chopper circuitry which makes the Minnkotas so battery-friendly can do that to some depth finders. Is your dad's Vector hooked up to the same battery as the flasher? If so, it may be the same problem I had.

If it is the same problem, the fix is easy. I use a small 12V 7 amp-hour gel battery for my flasher. The flasher uses so little power, I can go a couple days with that little batter. Better yet, hook the flasher up to the starter batter, or another battery that's not connected to the TM, and the problem should disappear.
jeffo
Posted 6/11/2004 10:00 AM (#109440 - in reply to #109438)

thanks rpike!

as far as i know they are connected to different batteries. the flasher is an indash type that is powered by the starting battery. one thing he did mention is that when he turns up the power on the motor, the whole dial on the flasher fills up with clutter. i gues that would be the case no matter what; more power=more interference!

jo
Jomusky
Posted 6/11/2004 12:28 PM (#109478 - in reply to #109440)

Steve Worrall helped me with a similar problem a bunch of years ago....the fix was to install a Radio Shack noise filter on the power supply to the locator as close as possible to the locator. I think it was around $10. Get the one that's about 1 1/2" diam. and 4 " long. Also, mount it in as dry as location as possible, the first one I had shorted out after 2 years...I siliconed sealed where the leads come out on the one I have now.
jeffo
Posted 6/11/2004 2:31 PM (#109500 - in reply to #109478)

Joe, my dad thanks you and i thank you. we will give it a whirl and post how it works!

jo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)