Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New Musky Rod

Frozen
Message Subject: New Musky Rod
Ryan Marlowe
Posted 3/8/2011 5:13 PM (#485905 - in reply to #485900)
Subject: RE: New Musky Rod

T.I. rods are affordable and an incredible bang for your buck. Service second to none! No difference than anything you buy in life these day's, do you need a Ranger to catch fish? What makes a Ferrari so much better than a Caddilac? There is a price point where you are paying more to only have a little more performance, it's what you want to commit to the sport.
Jsondag
Posted 3/8/2011 6:03 PM (#485913 - in reply to #485265)

There are vast differences in Quality, craftsmanship, and materials in many of the more expensive rods.
Anyone that fishes seriously or everyday and pounds water should spend the money on quality gear not just rods. Weekend warriors, may not need a $800 set-up, but at some point when they start getting more into it, they'll want one, just like I did.

St. Croix Legend Tournament Big Nasty $300+
Integrated Poly Curve® (IPC®) tooling technology.
Advanced Reinforcing Technology™ (ART™).
High-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite.
Fuji® Alconite® Concept Guide System with chrome frames.
Flanged SiC top on musky models.
Fuji® ECS (walleye) or TCS (musky) reel seat/frosted silver hood on casting models.
Fuji® SKM reel seat/frosted silver hoods on spinning models.
Machined-aluminum wind check.
Super-grade cork handle.
Two coats of Flex Coat slow-cure finish.
Lifetime limited warranty backed by
St. Croix Superstar Service.
Designed and handcrafted in the Park Falls, U.S.A.

Tackle Industries Musky Rods $100
Rods are made with a modified IM8 blank with the trade secret TitanTM technology to give these rods super strength, flexibility, feel and years of durability. You will also see that ten guides are used instead of the standard eight. These additional guides provides smoother casts especially with larger musky lures, and less wear and tear on the line, guides and your musky rod. High quality Fuji® components are used on all fishing rods. Fuji® reel seats provide a solid platform for anchoring your favorite reel. 2 year warranty. Made in China?

Okuma Evx $140
Crafted of IM-8 graphite and featuring durable ALPS stainless steel guide frames with braid-ready Zirconium inserts, the rods top off with an ALPS welded Tungsten Carbide tip. Premium Fuji reel seats and cork grips complete each model. Made in China?

Just pulled these 3 since they were mentioned . This info was pulled off websites - Under rod descriptions. Although, words shouldn't sell rods, go check them all out. You'll feel which one suits you best.
fishing machine
Posted 3/8/2011 6:11 PM (#485915 - in reply to #485265)

Jerry,

Much better. But on the Legend what are the benifits of the features listed? Weight? Strength? I would like to know the benefits to these features? How is that going to make my day on the water better? etc..

Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 3/8/2011 6:35 PM (#485922 - in reply to #485265)
Subject: Re: New Musky Rod

My personal choice:
I used to guide full time, and might again some day when I retire from the media business. If I spend $300 on something related to muskies, it's likely to be on another trip somewhere I haven't been. My TI rod won't break or wear me out, will cast my lures just fine, set the hook just fine, battle the fish just fine, and James has paved his way into the business by offering high quality at a VERY reasonable price backed by excellent customer service and something this business is sorely lacking;ethics.

He donates to our outings, contests, and is continuously donating to the Vets attending Operation Muskie and for other activities getting Vets and kids out fishing. He's very active supporting and promoting this sport and is a valued promotional partner here, in the process supporting everyone's opportunity to post opinions.

TI will get my dollars for my next rod purchase. I have been telling James I need to order 3 rods for a few months, and now that season is only a couple months away, it's time.
Jsondag
Posted 3/8/2011 8:32 PM (#485943 - in reply to #485265)

The St. Croix legend in the hand is a fully proportioned / balanced blank - They just aren't another "Musky Rod" the way the engineers design and craft the LT blank is so that it fits into a certain category of presentation. The LT's parabolic behavior varies due to the model. They pay detailed attention to the areas of stress due to the specific duties of each rod. For example, the "Slingblade" was created initially to handle big blades. It has a faster tip, with a more moderate section midway down the blank for ease of casting and handling the oddly weighted blades. The "Big Dawg" is created with a stiffer midsection with a fast tip to handle all weights of rubber. I can keep listing the rods and their specific attributes.

But if you need more specific information about the finest rods available visit:
http://stcroixrods.com/content/engineering_and_technology?tag=off
Flambeauski
Posted 3/9/2011 8:04 AM (#485998 - in reply to #485265)

Hey Steve, about an hour or so west from where you live is a factory that employs over 100 folks a lot like you, contributes thousands of dollars annually to local charities and fishing clubs all over the world, materials for kids fishing and rod building classes, and have been doing so for over 60 years. Ethics are not lacking there.
BNelson
Posted 3/9/2011 8:19 AM (#486004 - in reply to #485265)

I guess I'm not sure I agree that a $350 St Croix is 3 x better than a good $110 rod. That's not to say all $110 range rods are created equal. I still use a $120 All Star that is over 10 yrs old and I have not found a need to replace it with a $350 rod and I own a few custom St Croixs and love them ... the reality is, not everyone has an unlimited musky budget and for some a savings of $200+ dollars means more trips, more gas money, more time on the water ...imho I don't think a high end rod is really going to put more fish in your boat at the end of the day, if you are using a good low price range rod that is, in the proper length / weight .. I have no doubt I could sell all my customs and pick up some TI Rods (I have friends who love them) and go catch just as many and not be any more fatigued at the end of the day ... bottom line is go to a store with a variety of the rods listed and buy what you can afford and justify...
sworrall
Posted 3/9/2011 9:02 AM (#486013 - in reply to #485998)

Flambeauski - 3/9/2011 8:04 AM

Hey Steve, about an hour or so west from where you live is a factory that employs over 100 folks a lot like you, contributes thousands of dollars annually to local charities and fishing clubs all over the world, materials for kids fishing and rod building classes, and have been doing so for over 60 years. Ethics are not lacking there.

I wasn't talking about St Croix when I made that statement. I was, and it's easy to see this...talking about the fishing tackle industry in general. Believe me, I am not wrong there.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/10/2011 8:12 AM (#486193 - in reply to #485265)

I have been told by many that after they use one of my rods they woudl have priced it above $200. Hard to price things like this at $110 (special) and not have guys immediately discount the quality due to the price. I realize I am leaving money on the table but to price this rod in the $189-$219 woudl go against my vision for my comapny for getting high quality reasonable priced tackle on the market. Its an interesting issue from a sales and marketing point of view how to balance the two. So far, I have depended on raw customer feedback and word of mouth. It seems to be working. My sales have went up 400% for my rods in 18 months and continue to grow. Thanks to you guy who bought the rods and tried them 6 new rod lines and 4 new musky lure lines coming this Spring!
James
curleytail
Posted 3/10/2011 10:07 AM (#486209 - in reply to #485265)

On the 8, all rods do break. I don't personally know a lot of guys that use them, but you are the 1st person that has mentioned the rods breaking and I've read testimonials from quite a few happy users on the forums.

James does have top notch service. I just ordered a couple rods from him. There was an issue with shipping, which was not his fault at all (not really the shipper's fault either), but he stepped right up and is taking care of the situation immediately.

Things do happen. All rods and reels can be broken. Sometimes there are defects, sometimes the products are over used, sometimes accidents happen. No matter what product it is, SOME are going to have flaws. I'll bet there are a few Legend Tournament or Predator blanks that have defects as well. You'd hope not many, but I bet a couple have slipped through the cracks.

At the end of the day, I don't want my stuff to break. ever. period. But if it does, I want to have bought it from somebody that will stand behind their product.

I think a couple of the top players that offer that service and at good prices are James at Tackle Industries and Okuma (rods and reels).

Tucker
NOFEAR
Posted 3/10/2011 4:50 PM (#486300 - in reply to #485265)

Go to the Musky Expo and you will be able to feel and play with all the sticks.

I personally can only use custom rods but i'm very picky about my equipment or anything else as far as that goes. I'm also very conservative but i've learned in life to get what you want the first time vs. skimping, not being satisfied and then ending up going back and purchasing what you really wanted.

I purchased an Okuma 9' 3" rod late last year for a specific purpose. It was a nice rod for the money but not the same as a Custom high end blank. I sold it this winter and i'm having another rod built to replace it.

This tool will be in your hands ALL DAY LONG so your better love what your holding?
fishing machine
Posted 3/10/2011 5:07 PM (#486307 - in reply to #485265)

To me at the end of the day it is about more fish in the boat. For example if a person has a budget they have to abide by and they can save 200.00 on a rod, then that money can go for gas to drive to the favorite musky lake and that equates to more fish in the boat. If on the other hand an individuals budget is much larger, and 200.00 towards gas to the lake is irrelevant, then maybe a 400.00 rod could equate to more fish. It seems to me for the guy on a budget the TI rod is a great choice and because of my above feature/benefit example given.
Jsondag
Posted 3/10/2011 5:32 PM (#486310 - in reply to #485265)

I agree that everyone has a budget - If fuel and or other needs take a front seat to a rod purchase, a hundred dollar rod makes much more sense than blowing your wad on a big dollar model and only being able to afford to watch fishing on TV.

However, a lot of these posts compare Apples to Oranges... Wait, I mean apples to steak. When waxing intellectual about rods, there are many questions posted comparing the mid-level rod (Okuma, TI, Fig Rig, Premier, Mojo, Etc.) to the higher end models (GLoomis, Legend Tournament, Predators, Etc.) - It is unfair to the apple builders to have their models compared to the steak builders - Both will do their job and fill you up, but the quality and flavor are much different. It's just a matter what you're tastes are and where you can afford to dine!
shaley
Posted 3/10/2011 6:13 PM (#486316 - in reply to #486310)

As someone who owns TI,Loomis and a Predator and used to own Croixs, had I tried the TI rods first I would not have baught the others.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/10/2011 7:51 PM (#486338 - in reply to #485265)

I would honestly call my rods "steak" in the food world. I just don't charge "steak" prices. My rod blanks contain multiple technologies from multiple patents. And no, I did not infringe on any patents. They simply did not claim anything about fishing rods or use in the IP but the technology was perfect for fishing rods so I incorporated some of those items into my rods. My blanks are nothing like off the shelf blanks. Try one next time you have the chance. What I could not design myself I bought (ex: Fuji components, cork, etc).
James
drmusky
Posted 3/10/2011 7:55 PM (#486340 - in reply to #485265)

Well I sure had a hard time finding a musky rod to try out over 8ft. Bass Pro shops, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, and local IL dealers, must not be up to date with the musky tackle trends; the longer the better. I finally found a dealer in Tinly Park IL who had several 9ft rods available. I held them all; the Okuma ERV, the stCroix Premier, and the Big Nasty. And although 3x the price the blank of the St Croix legend 9ft rods was unbelievable. I had to order one. I don't have an unlimited budget and I got the Trinidad 16DC on ebay for $340 new. My only regret was that I didn't spend more time at the Chicago musky show looking at rods. The TI product that James mentioned looks very appealing and comes with many recommendations, I only wish I had a chance to try one. I can't wait for spring to be over to try out this new combo. Hopefully my wife won't look too closely at our credit card bills next month Thanks for all the advice everyone and tight lines to all
Jsondag
Posted 3/10/2011 8:08 PM (#486343 - in reply to #485265)

Well drmusky congrats on a decision well made! You won't regret it.... Unless your wife finds the receipt that is!
fishing machine
Posted 3/10/2011 8:22 PM (#486347 - in reply to #485265)

drmusky

That sounds like a very nice set up!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)