Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Digital SLR advice?

Message Subject: Digital SLR advice?
sworrall
Posted 9/29/2008 7:43 PM (#338464 - in reply to #338452)
Subject: Re: Digital SLR advice?

My D 40.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0102.JPG)

(IMG_0103.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0102.JPG (149KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0103.JPG (114KB - 118 downloads)
Phoenix
Posted 9/29/2008 9:52 PM (#338488 - in reply to #337913)
Subject: RE: Digital SLR advice?

The D40 is a nice camera, its just an old/end of life model now. If you go Nikon, look at the new models, technology changes make it worthwhile to buy the latest you can afford. You questions don't strike me as coming from someone who wants to use 3 year old technology. The D80 has replaced it.

The cannon is also 12.1 megapixel vs 10.2 on nikon D80, or 6.1 (YIKES!) on the D40.

I would also be leery of the processor speed on an older unit.

Checked on the cannon Image Stabilization, and it is the lens, not the body that has IS... Very handy for low light, and in the boat (moving about) and especially when shooting telephoto.

Steve
lambeau
Posted 9/29/2008 10:16 PM (#338495 - in reply to #338464)

for the camera body, here's the points of comparison that i'm looking at:

sensor size: bigger is apparently better, especially for high ISO. i didn't realize that not all megapixels are created equal, and that 10 megapixels with a larger sensor is much better than 10 megapixels on a small sensor.

image stabilization: since a goodly portion of my shots are taken in a boat, IS/VR/OS will help, especially on zoom scenery shots. best i can gather in-lens vs in-camera is just two different ways to do the same thing as long as your lenses match.

viewfinder/lcd: the big advantage of a dslr is seeing the picture you'll actually take and that means using a viewfinder. of course, the lcd screens are nice and make things easy, so a camera with live view lcd is important.

frame rate: i do like to take a lot of action and motion shots, so more fps the better.

lens quality/support: keeping options open for being able to add specialty lenses is good; i don't want to lock myself into a narrow band of options.

price: value over cost, quality over value

what i'm looking at:

Canon EOS Rebel XS
- APS size CMOS sensor, 10.1mp
- in-lens image stabilization
- lcd with live view, non-adjustable
- 3fps, up to 514 frames continuous
- Canon lenses
- around $699 with a 18-55mm Canon lens

Nikon D60:
- APS size CCD sensor, 10.2mp
- in-lens stabilization
- lcd with live view, wide-angle viewing, non-adjustable
- 3fps, up to 100 frames continuous
- Nikkor lenses
- around $699 with a 18-55mm Nikkor lens

Sony Alpha 300:
- APS size CCD sensor, 10.2mp
- in-camera stabilization
- lcd with live view, adjustable screen angles
- 3fps, 6 shot buffer, able to keep shooting while buffer is clearing
- Sony lenses, compatible with high-end Carl Zeiss lenses
- around $599 with a 18-70mm DT lens

any thoughts?
sworrall
Posted 9/29/2008 11:13 PM (#338505 - in reply to #337913)

The D40 is still featured on the Nikon website as a current model, take a look.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Digital-SLR/index.page

The 60 is a little faster at 3frames per second VS 2.5. Not sure if you need that, but it's an improvement. the D40and D60 seem to share the same basic features and CCD sensors, etc. and both are current product on the Nikon website, the D50 is a couple years older and is no longer featured. The 60 seems like a bit of an upgrade from the D40, just hard to see where in practical terms other than the speed allowing for 1/2 more frame per second. If that's worth the extra $200, cool beans. I'd rather have another lens for the money, a prime or fish eye, maybe, or upgrade the standard glass.

The 80 is another animal entirely at about $600 sans lens.

Of course, the Dx 40 is also available, at 10.2 megapixel for about $70 less than the 60. 24X36" enlargements VS the 40 at 16X20". Never blew an image up that much yet myself, but I suppose there's an application out there, maybe wall poster size images for the Hunting room.

Does the Canon have AF mode allowing one to define what the autofocus will search for? I remember seeing an article that said no, but I'm not at all sure about the new units they offer. I know it's a very nice feature.

off topic from your question:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I was going to spend my money TODAY based on your criteria...there's no way I'm buying anything but a D90. Yes, it's $999.00 body only, but only $1299.00 with a VR lens that reaches out plenty far enough for most uses. The standard features make it head and shoulders above any other camera of any make in that price range, and the D90 shoots beautiful video with the depth of field and incredible colors of a studio TV camera because of the glass, totally replacing most digital camcorder needs. You will have to manual focus the unit, but here's what Zach was able to do in a recent test shooting the D90:
http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1163

The 90 even offers optional GPS Geo Tagging.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet the D60 would make you very happy.

I see Canon and Nikon out there amongst the journalists (FLW, In Fisherman, Walleye Fan, Intermedia, Primedia, Newpapers, Lindner media, Jacobs Interactive, etc) who shoot fishing stuff for a living. I can't remember ever seeing a Sony, but I'm sure it's a great camera. No one uses an lcd screen to frame the picture, far as I can see, but a large lcd screen in high resolution is nice to clearly see if you got your shot. I do see a few Fujis out there amongst the guys who are making a living at it.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25446/D...
Phoenix
Posted 9/30/2008 2:40 PM (#338609 - in reply to #338505)

Canon EOS Rebel XS
- APS size CMOS sensor, 10.1mp
- in-lens image stabilization
- lcd with live view, non-adjustable
- 3fps, up to 514 frames continuous
- Canon lenses
- around $699 with a 18-55mm Canon lens

Actually not sure which XS you are talking about here. XSi is 12.1 mp, and shoots 3.5fps on auto continuous and can do so until you fill the card, kill the battery, or get tired and go home. I would have to check the sensor size, but I don't think you will find a full size sensor in anything but a pro model. I know cannons is not full size, but I also read that it was redone for this model and is a big improvement.

As far as the focus selection, you several options as to how/where you would like the lens to focus, you can select with a touch several different fields within the image to focus on for instance. Same for exposure control.

Honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with either the Cannon or the Nikon, and I agree that if I had the money and was buying new again i would take a serious look at the D90.

Steve
lambeau
Posted 9/30/2008 5:52 PM (#338645 - in reply to #337913)

the XSi is a different, slightly higher end model. it's about $699 for camera body only; faster, more megapixels, but same size sensor as the XS.

the XS:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcate...
APS-C size sensor (22.2 x 14.8 mm) with 1.6x lens focal length increase (compared to 35mm film SLR).

bigger is better with sensors; each of the cameras in this class has about the same size: much much bigger than a point-and-shoot, smaller than a pro model. essentially, as a point of comparison, they're equivalent.
brmusky
Posted 10/1/2008 2:19 PM (#338793 - in reply to #337913)

I have an original Digital Canon Rebel that I still use in the boat. I have no regrets about using this camera over others. I agree with everyone that Canon or Nikon bodies are both great cameras and either would work well for you. Other brands might not have as many choices for accessories or lenses.

With proper shooting techniques you can get great photos without IS but if you can afford it I would highly recomend it for those low light conditions. Every little bit helps there.

Something else to consider also - How easy is it for others to use while fishing with you? After all you don't want to have a camera that is too complicated for anyone to take a picture of you with a fish.
darkwing1
Posted 10/3/2008 11:33 AM (#339119 - in reply to #337913)

I just purchased an EOS 40D a few months back. My wife has been taking photography classes at the local Junior College (which I would definitely recommend), and this thing is amazing once you know how to use it. By far better picture quality than most other Digital SLR's I've seen (I am by no means an expert....just my opinion).
lambeau
Posted 10/5/2008 9:43 PM (#339367 - in reply to #338256)

Phoenix - 9/28/2008 11:39 PM

Let us know what you decide to go with.

based on the input i got here and elsewhere i was leaning towards the Nikon. thanks for all of your help, it made a huge difference and gave me more confidence diving into a purchase like this.

i found a great deal (i think) on camera, base VR lens, and basic zoom VR lens.

Order Summary:

Nikon D60, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera
18-55mm AF-S DX VR Lens Kit
Promotional Kit: Tripod, Cleaning Kit, LCD Protector
$461.00

Nikon Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens
$175.00

Final SubTotal: $636.00
3-day UPS Shipping: $14.99
Grand Total: $650.99
Phoenix
Posted 10/6/2008 7:58 AM (#339400 - in reply to #339367)

lambeau,

now you just have to head up to vermilion this november with me to take some pics of the big fatties I am gonna tag!

Grats on your purchase, nice deal!

Steve
lambeau
Posted 10/6/2008 11:55 AM (#339454 - in reply to #339400)

i'll be taking pictures on Vermilion with it in...9 days!

i talked to them this morning to confirm my order and they added a 400 image error-free memory card and a longer lasting rechargeable battery both at 50% off with the purchase of the camera.
i asked if they'd throw in a camera bag and they did so for free since it was my first time ordering from them, big enough to hold the camera, both lenses, and accessories.
Phoenix
Posted 10/6/2008 12:07 PM (#339456 - in reply to #339454)

One thing you might want to consider. I bought an 8 gig HIGH SPEED memory card with mine and it was well worth it.

Steve
lambeau
Posted 10/6/2008 1:07 PM (#339469 - in reply to #337913)

as i understand it:
the error-free cards permit fast writing to the card from the camera, less time in the buffer when taking multiple shots.
the high-speed cards also permit fast writing from the card to your computer.

is that right?
since i'm not real worried about download times to my computer, i went with the error-free card and took a pass on the high-speed card.
Magruter
Posted 10/6/2008 1:17 PM (#339473 - in reply to #339469)

nice price on a back up card
http://www.supermediastore.com/pqi-sdhc-4gb-secure-digital-high-cap...
use code:MES20P
to bring it down to under $10
brmusky
Posted 10/6/2008 3:05 PM (#339490 - in reply to #337913)

I notice a difference in write speeds from my camera to the memory card when I use a high speed card.
Now you need some sort of polarized filter - circular polarizer or neutral density since you are on the water a lot and will be dealing with lots of glare and sky for backgrounds.
You also should get a pelican waterproof case big enough for all of your equipment or some other waterproof hard case.
Congrats - I never imagined that DSLR's would be that affordable. I bought mine 5 years ago now and would recomend one to anyone who likes to take pictures.
Phoenix
Posted 10/7/2008 7:09 AM (#339596 - in reply to #339469)

I was under the impression that the high speed cards write faster to the card from the camera.

Polarized filter is a must too on the water.

Steve

Edited by Phoenix 10/7/2008 7:10 AM
Vman
Posted 10/8/2008 7:06 AM (#339745 - in reply to #339454)

I would suggest to anyone buying a digital camera online to research the on-line company you are buying from. There are a lot of scams out there. Doing a google search before you buy may save you a lot of headaches down the road.
lambeau
Posted 10/11/2008 8:47 AM (#340289 - in reply to #339745)

i got my new camera in the mail on Thursday, everything there just as advertised which made me plenty happy.

i'm a bit overwhelmed at this point, there are a LOT of different buttons and functions on the camera. learning what they do and how/when to use them is going to take some time, but i guess that's the point and part of the fun, right? i'm considering taking a photography class at the local tech the next time it's offered.

i got to break it in last night out on the lake, and already made my first "mistake" in that i forgot to turn on the VR on the lens when shooting in low-light conditions! this is pretty evident in the second picture, and i'm sure if i was smarter about settings for exposure times and shutter speeds and whatnot i could have cleaned it up...fun!

today we ran over to Mirror Lake State Park for some hiking and fall colors.
practice practice practice...

(08-10-11 002.JPG)

(08-10-11 005.JPG)

(08-10-11 006.JPG)

(08-10-11 018.JPG)

(08-10-11 052b.jpg)

(08-10-11 059.JPG)

(08-10-11 066.JPG)

(08-10-11 070b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 08-10-11 002.JPG (165KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 005.JPG (144KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 006.JPG (143KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 018.JPG (198KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 052b.jpg (204KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 059.JPG (164KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 066.JPG (280KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments 08-10-11 070b.jpg (153KB - 112 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)