Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch, the courage to not lie about it and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.
- (Added by: FAT-SKI)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Not all customs are pretty.....

Message Subject: Not all customs are pretty.....
A-ROZ
Posted 9/6/2006 9:35 PM (#208151 - in reply to #203221)
Subject: RE: Not all customs are pretty.....

These monsters are actually not too bad at all for casting. I have them weighted so that they are heavier on the bottom tail, therefore allowing them to cast without tangling. I actually haven't thrown these things too much yet, but I do know there has been a 21 inch largemouth caught on one already by someone who has been throwing them a little more than I do.
jlong
Posted 10/30/2006 6:53 PM (#217870 - in reply to #208151)

I guess customs don't always need to be exotic. Here is a pair of heavier 2 oz. DoubleShots in a simple Black Flashabou and Gold Blade combination. A little more weight (2.0 versus 1.5 ounces) and less bouyant body (Flashabou vs. Hair) should keep these puppies right in the strike zone at pretty fast clip!

Contact LongTale Tackle for your next CUSTOM spinnerbait. http://www.longtaletackle.com

Edited by jlong 10/30/2006 6:58 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2 oz Black Shimmerin DoubleShot.jpg)

(2oz Black Shimmerin Double Shot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2 oz Black Shimmerin DoubleShot.jpg (89KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments 2oz Black Shimmerin Double Shot.jpg (99KB - 137 downloads)
Posted 10/30/2006 7:23 PM (#217891 - in reply to #203221)

very nice!!
Bayboo_baits
Posted 10/30/2006 7:50 PM (#217902 - in reply to #203221)

Hey man those are awsome you got talent how much do you sell them for?????
jlong
Posted 10/31/2006 10:48 AM (#218008 - in reply to #203221)

Question for all of you.

How long is the DoubleShot posted above with the tape measure? Is it 7 or 10 inches in length?

I'd report it as 7 inches (nose of head to tail of lure-body), however with the recent Big Bait craze, some suggest I should report it as 10 inches (measure from the line-tie to the tail). What is the proper way to report lure lengths on a spinnerbait? Thanks for your help!
BALDY
Posted 10/31/2006 12:27 PM (#218027 - in reply to #218008)

I think you can call it whatever you want. Just specify it when you list it...i.e. 10" from line tie to back of skirt

But I also think that you make an average sized spinnerbait. Nothing that would be part of the big bait craze...even if you do call it 10"
jlong
Posted 10/31/2006 1:54 PM (#218038 - in reply to #203221)

Luke,
That is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to deceive anyone. If there is a standard protocol for specifying a lure size, I simply want to follow it. I guess if I do specify a size.... I'll just be more descriptive in how the measurement was taken.... and not simply say... its 7 inches long.

And... in regard to blade baits.... do you guys feel the body size is much of a factor? I tend to believe that the advantage of a blade bait is to present a larger FEELING presentation in a smaller (more user friendly) package. For example, if you compare a standard Buchertail 700 with #7 Fluted blade and tied an exact duplicate with twin #10 Colorado blades.... both lures will provide the same VISUAL profile but they will FEEL radically different in size to a musky. Am I off my rocker or is there some truth to this theory? And how does speed factor into the equation? Does a faster moving lure FEEL larger too? So the visual profile becomes more important on slow(er) moving lures? Does lure size and speed become a balance between visual vs. lateral line triggers?

Sorry for getting off topic....

Edited by jlong 10/31/2006 1:58 PM
BALDY
Posted 10/31/2006 2:06 PM (#218041 - in reply to #218038)

jlong - 10/31/2006 1:54 PM

Luke,
That is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to deceive anyone. If there is a standard protocol for specifying a lure size, I simply want to follow it. I guess if I do specify a size.... I'll just be more descriptive in how the measurement was taken.... and not simply say... its 7 inches long.

And... in regard to blade baits.... do you guys feel the body size is much of a factor? I tend to believe that the advantage of a blade bait is to present a larger FEELING presentation in a smaller (more user friendly) package. For example, if you compare a standard Buchertail 700 with #7 Fluted blade and tied an exact duplicate with twin #10 Colorado blades.... both lures will provide the same VISUAL profile but they will FEEL radically different in size to a musky. Am I off my rocker or is there some truth to this theory? And how does speed factor into the equation? Does a faster moving lure FEEL larger too? So the visual profile becomes more important on slow(er) moving lures? Does lure size and speed become a balance between visual vs. lateral line triggers?

Sorry for getting off topic....

I knew what you meant, sorry if I was too frank...

I think most guys are going to look at a lure and think that the length is measured from one end of the lure to the other. They are not going to assume that the builder was referring to the actual profile presented by the lure. Fudally Stump Hawg is listed as 8", Musky Candy at 5.75", Marv's Heavy Duty at 10.5"...now, i dont have any of those baits in front of me right now to measure, but I own all 3, and I would say those measurements are definitely started at the line tie

your second question...hard to say. I think the blades are definitely the bulk of the attraction, but the rest of the bait is also going to move some water that will be sensed by the fish. Bigger bait with big blades will sound overall louder than a little bait with big blades. though very subtle i think there will be a difference in how the baits FEEL in the water.

Edited by BALDY 10/31/2006 2:10 PM
jlong
Posted 11/8/2006 5:54 PM (#219784 - in reply to #203221)

I've seen the Jailbird and White Belly Perch patterns on crankbaits and jerkbaits..... and here is LongTale Tackles attempt to make it with hair. What do you think?

(White Belly Perch.jpg)

(Jailbird.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments White Belly Perch.jpg (94KB - 173 downloads)
Attachments Jailbird.jpg (57KB - 149 downloads)
Posted 11/9/2006 7:40 AM (#219849 - in reply to #203221)

Very sharp looking baits!
jlong
Posted 2/27/2007 8:24 PM (#241927 - in reply to #219849)

A couple more customs.....

I think these are actualy quite purty.

(Chartruese&Black Shimmerin DoubleShot.jpg)

(Copper&Black Magnum ShimmerShot.jpg)

(Orange&Black Shimmerin' DoubleShot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chartruese&Black Shimmerin DoubleShot.jpg (81KB - 169 downloads)
Attachments Copper&Black Magnum ShimmerShot.jpg (90KB - 166 downloads)
Attachments Orange&Black Shimmerin' DoubleShot.jpg (84KB - 172 downloads)
mikie
Posted 3/2/2007 2:24 PM (#242474 - in reply to #203221)
Subject: Re: Not all customs are pretty.....

Man, you know, A-ROZ was showing off some of his big creations, then here comes Jlong and hijacks the thread with his stuff. That's just kinda raw, IMHO. Once, maybe twice, but then BAM. onces of respect lost here, sir. Is business really that bad? You got your own threads? m
fish4musky1
Posted 3/2/2007 3:30 PM (#242488 - in reply to #203221)

heres my new roz tail custom

(IMG_554.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_554.jpg (44KB - 157 downloads)
fish4musky1
Posted 3/2/2007 3:36 PM (#242489 - in reply to #203221)

check out aroz photo album for some other cool customs hes made.
DEMolishedyou2
Posted 3/2/2007 4:07 PM (#242494 - in reply to #242489)

A-ROZ's album: http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?a...
jlong
Posted 3/3/2007 6:21 PM (#242661 - in reply to #242474)

mikie - 3/2/2007 2:24 PM

Man, you know, A-ROZ was showing off some of his big creations, then here comes Jlong and hijacks the thread with his stuff. That's just kinda raw, IMHO. Once, maybe twice, but then BAM. onces of respect lost here, sir. Is business really that bad? You got your own threads? m

Dude... you got it backwards. I started this thread... not A-ROZ.
A-ROZ
Posted 3/3/2007 10:28 PM (#242688 - in reply to #242661)

I actually started this particular thread, but it was a spin-off of JLong's original "Not all customs are pretty..." thread. I got the idea for that bucktail pattern in the beginning of the thread from one of Jason's articles, so I thought it seemed fitting. There are two threads with the same exact name. Sorry for the confusion... everyone please feel free to post your pretty (or not so pretty) customs on this thread.

AR
jlong
Posted 3/4/2007 8:20 AM (#242712 - in reply to #242688)

Sorry Alex... I most certainly was confused by two posts with the same name. I didn't even know that was possible.

I'll see if I can dig up my original thread and post my stuff there.... like I had intended.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)