Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why aren’t you a Muskies, Inc. member?

Message Subject: Why aren’t you a Muskies, Inc. member?
BNelson
Posted 3/15/2006 10:18 AM (#182452 - in reply to #182168)
Subject: RE: Why aren’t you a Muskies, Inc. member?

I think publishing the magazine is a big waste of funds...They could put it up on the site monthly or send it out PDF format via email and save lots of dough....
Eric_H
Posted 3/15/2006 4:52 PM (#182566 - in reply to #182168)

My TC membership lapsed. I will probably rejoin based solely on the great comments and energy I see in Shawn's posts. I enjoyed most of the guest speakers and appreciated their time and information. During my first year I lost interest however, I'm pretty sure these are the reasons I stopped making MI a priority:

Networking: I joined b/c I was new to the sport and area, and many recommended MI. However I was unsuccessful at making any connections with club members. I have as much passion for the sport as anyone there. But my relative inexperience was a handicap as most people expected me to share good information with them before they would think about helping me out. The impression I got was MI was a fun place to brag but a poor place to learn. These internet boards are much better IMO.

Members Only Contest: I could care less.

Annual Tournament: I don't have a boat or regular partner, and with limited time I prefer non-tourney fishing.

Community Events: I am solicited daily to give my time/money to great causes. I have a set list of charities/events that I care personally about and focus on in order to make greatest impact.

Improving the fishery and/or local waters: While I was there I don't recall a single initiative. Maybe I missed something. Sounds like this has become an area of focus.

ToddM
Posted 3/15/2006 10:01 PM (#182646 - in reply to #182168)

I joined and glad I did. It's not about the international part for me but my club. We hosted an international board meeting las tyear and quite frankly, I walked out disgusted. I don't think they could agree on the color of the sky without geting angry at each other. I love my club. We have great people, great outings, great meetings and have alot of fun. I am now a board member and our speaker director. It's about that comraderie for me and being a part of something good. No infighting, no argueing and bickering, we all get along great and our club flourishes because of it, we never even arugue about anything at our board meetings.
Steve Reinstra
Posted 3/15/2006 10:37 PM (#182653 - in reply to #182168)

This is a great topic for all muskie anglers. If you are not a member of Muskies Inc. or any other Muskie Club you have to ask yourself one question. That is "What have I personally done to improve muskie fishing for the future of the sport?" Those of you who are members of Muskies Inc. can proudly say...."Ive done a lot for the muskie fishery". Members put their money and sweat equity where their mouths are by donating money to muskie stocking their local waters. By laboring at the stocking ponds, or buildng fish cribs for the lakes, by communicating with local DNR fisheries managers and helping them in any way that we can. If you are not a member of Muskies Inc. I ask you to step up to the plate, improve the fishery.

Granted, clubs arent for everyone. A close relative of mine doesnt like clubs but he handed our Treasurer a check for $50.00 and said "Please use this money for stocking muskies in my sons name". Its time to step up folks!

Steve Reinstra, Pres., Chapter 8
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 3/16/2006 5:24 AM (#182683 - in reply to #182168)

My wife just booked a hotel room in duluth for a night and we saved $15 more on my muskies inc discount over the AAA discount. I've only been a member for 2 months and I already almost made my membership dues back in saving on baits and hotels. I've yet to attend a meeting though. Think I'll check out Brad Hoppe in April though.
muskihntr
Posted 3/16/2006 7:22 AM (#182689 - in reply to #182168)

steve, im not a memeber, i have bought items at auctions online and at meetings where the money goes to stocking programs, i have entered tournaments and paid the fees which go to the club and lake. i have made donations at shows toward stocking programs. i have purchased products where funds have gone to muskies inc, i do not see the need to spend 35.00 for overpriced magazine subscription. ...or am i better off just joining , pay my 35 bucks and not do anything else all year...so i guess i wonder how many people sign up because they are pressured to do so, but then do nothing else throughout the year?????? to make it sound like because some of us are not members, we are not doing our part is wrong........if i took your post the wrong way i apoligize!
Vince Weirick
Posted 3/16/2006 7:46 AM (#182691 - in reply to #182168)

To all,

Muskies Inc. also has a chapter #99. It is a chapter this is has no "location". There are no board members. There no board members or politics. It is simply ot be able to enter fish, access information on the site, and enter fish. I personally am involved in as much as I can with the Webster Lake Musky Club. I try to go to every event/outing, tournament, guide for a day, youth outing, etc. I enjoy every bit of it! The friends I have mead will last a lifetime and I am sure many more are to come.

How many people out there went to college and joined a fraternity or thought about it? Did it help you out while attending college? Did you feel some sort of belonging? Did you make more friends? Being a part of something that you love so much is worth so much more than $35.

As with any organization you are going to have disagreements. That is what debate is all about and will further the club/fisheries in doing so. No matter what club or organization you will ever get involved with you will never be 100% satisfied. But you can join and do what you can or share your ideas/thoughts to help the organization out.

Our club always heard the most familiar question of all..."What do they do for me?" Well, our club started a free dinner for all WLMC members last year. It has been a great success and gets people out of there house. We usually host it in February when everything is froze up. We get a few new members, trade/sell/buy used and new lures, and most of all make new friends and visit with old ones.

Beaver
Posted 3/16/2006 7:50 AM (#182693 - in reply to #182168)

You can "step up" without joining a club.
Check the archives and see how much I've "stepped up" for The Kly Auctions and The Ashton Auction.
I just don't like belonging to clubs and see no reason to start now. I've given enough seminars to enough clubs, and find most of the rest of the meeting, besides the speaker, a waste of time.
Though I do belong to Wisconsin Bowhunters. But there are no meetings to sit through or outings to attend.
Beav
BNelson
Posted 3/16/2006 11:19 AM (#182739 - in reply to #182168)

Very true Lambeau...there is no right or wrong answer...I believe in it...sure I have a few issues with the MInc..but overall I like it..great networking tool as well...

Steve R
Posted 3/16/2006 5:26 PM (#182806 - in reply to #182168)

Muskihntr and Beav....I would like to personally thank you for what you both have done for the muskie fishery. Even though you may not be members of a Muskie club you have contributed to the fishery in your own way.

What would our muskie fishery be today without the fore knowledge and insights of folks like Gil Hamm, founder of Muskies Inc. and the leadership of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Midwest, and Canadians MNR and DNRs. Many have said "These are the good old days" of muskie fishing today. Are there improvements and changes that should be made....Yes, but the Clubs are leading the way. I'll say it again.....Its time to step up folks, help the fishery any way you can.
Posted 3/16/2006 5:32 PM (#182808 - in reply to #182739)

Through all the negative replies I would have to say there should be plenty of people that should step up and give it some change, then. I understand each Chapter has its issues, welcome to the 21st Century. If you don't wish to make a grand entrance and become a speaker or become politically active, I wouldn't blame you, but there are things you can do like take a member fishing or donate or participate in a mini outing for students or less fortunate or help with the stocking or whatever you choose. You can control on how you use the club. Sure, they want more data as far as catches etc. are concerned, if you see this as an issue that you don't wish to participate in, then don't. If you don't believe in what the plaques stand for or have some other issues with it, stand up and let it be known.
I was taught at a young age that you need to stand up for what you believe in. That also includes voting and becoming part of organizations that are important in what you do. If you don't belive in something don't participate, if you do believe in something, you need to participate because it is the right thing to do.
Its not all about what Muskies Inc can do for you. It is also about what you can do to make the sport of muskie fishing better for all. "Put Up or Shut Up" I believe is a fair ultimatum. If you choose to "Shut Up" well... enjoy the resorce that Muskies Inc has greatly contributed to.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/17/2006 2:56 AM (#182854 - in reply to #182168)

If you are not sure AND you want to make a difference in muskie fishing but dont know how, Id say join for one year. Attend meetings, read the magazine and news letters, talk to fellow members and absorb what is offered in our web site. See exactly what it is that MI and its chapters and members can do and offer. In one year you will be more than able to make a better decision when and where you might wish to "make a difference" Muskies inc is not the only way to be a part of something postive though in MY opinoin it is the best. MI's ultimate gaol is not in bolstering its numbers. More important is the education (of all anglers member or non), Youth (members or non) and fisheries which belong to everyone (members AND non). Please dont feel pressured. What we encourage is debate and educated decisions in planning and management. Then after one year make up your mind. Joining for one year should not be considered a life sentence. If you wish to renew annually........that will become an educated decision you and only you can make. If you wish to talk more about MI, PM me and I'll send you my #.
Karl Scherer
Local Chicagoland chapter Member and board member,
International At-Large Director.
Herb_b
Posted 3/17/2006 9:01 AM (#182889 - in reply to #182168)

I joined Muskies, Inc about five years ago and am glad I did. I have met many nice folks in the North Metro chapter and its easy to see all the good things they and the TC chapter are doing here in the Twin Cities. The fishery would not be what it is without their involvement.

One thing I've learned in my life is that a person can always find something wrong with an organization no matter which one you look at. It doesn't matter if one looks at a fishing club, church, company, civic group, government agency, or a political group, it will never be perfect and there will always be issues of some sort. Count on it. I think one has to look at an organization to see if you have things in common and if they, as a group, are dedicated to the same things you are. If one just focuses on the weaknesses, then one will most likely never join anything and will never stay long anywhere if you do.

Yeah, no MI club is perfect. There will always be some there with over-sized egos and some who are not so nice and a few you won't agree with. So what? If you are a serious Muskie fisherman and care about the resource, then you have a lot more in common with MI than you don't.

Looking back on it, I wish I had joined MI years earlier. Just never got around to it.
xyz
Posted 3/17/2006 4:50 PM (#182986 - in reply to #182168)

I was a member of the only Colorado Chapter last year. I joined because I thought I would have an opportunity to connect with someone to do fishing. I have never fished for tigers here because the boat is at the cabin in Wisconsin. The two meetings I went to I heard a lot about how the chapter is really about getting people into musky fishing in Colorado and "if you ever want to go fishing, just give us a call." After a few calls, I realized it was all talk and no action. Needless to say I wont be renewing my membership.
Ranger
Posted 3/19/2006 1:53 AM (#183170 - in reply to #182168)

"What have I personally done to improve muskie fishing for the future of the sport?"

Nothing. I have never assumed such responsibility. My local MI comes off as analunits. Huge. I'll stay loner hereabouts.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 3/19/2006 10:28 AM (#183197 - in reply to #182168)

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't start this thread with a motive, more out of curriosity. A lot of great ideas and information came out of this thread that I hope chapters will focus on to attract and retain more members. A lot of people posted how great it was to see what the chapters are doing for the fishery. I thought I would share some photos that really illustrate the power of people comming together for the benefit of the fishery.

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 3/19/2006 10:37 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(01.jpg)

(02.jpg)

(03.jpg)

(04.jpg)

(05.jpg)

(06.jpg)

(07.jpg)

(08.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 01.jpg (71KB - 73 downloads)
Attachments 02.jpg (66KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments 03.jpg (69KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments 04.jpg (60KB - 69 downloads)
Attachments 05.jpg (58KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments 06.jpg (66KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments 07.jpg (53KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments 08.jpg (89KB - 71 downloads)
Herb_b
Posted 3/21/2006 9:10 AM (#183439 - in reply to #182168)

Awesome pictures!!! Thanks so much guys!

xyz, You need to remember that the people who said that are all just volunteers. They are no different than you and me and you may have caught them when they were busy and/or had no time to take anyone out fishing. Face it, everyone gets really busy at times and we all have limited time. I would recommend trying to hook up with people in other ways like at the MI meetings or club outings. I wouldn't expect to place a phone call and get lots of people lined up to take you fishing - no matter what the offical motto is. It'll take time, but I expect you'll be able to make some friends at your MI club. Just remember those people are busy like you.

I think if one only looks at what they can get out of it, they will most likely be disapointed. Its usually a two-way street with any group and one gets little if one gives little. One generally gets more if one gives more.

I really like the people in my MI chapter. Lots of nice folks and good fisherpeople there. They sure aren't perfect, but I'm not either. Just wish I had more time to get involved.......
mm12463
Posted 3/21/2006 12:02 PM (#183468 - in reply to #182168)

When I got involved with MI my first few meetings I sort of kept to myself, which is not me. Happy Hooker was the one that got me to come to my first meeting. After those few meetings and talking to people, I joined up in October of 2004. I wasn't involved in anything at that time but as the months past I got to know a few more people. Learned a few things and by May of 2005 I had done 2 events, by mid summer I spent a week up on LOTW with Treats, Troyz, Happy Hooker, Tek, Fishpoop and B420. In September I helped out at our tournament even though I was not on the committee. I had talked with Luke about going fishing and before you know it I have fished few times with him and made some good friends. Then I opened my pie hole about our website and next thing you know I did that with the help of Senor Chinewalker. Next thing you know I'm on the board and having a ball. It is a lot of work and I did over extend myself. But it was worth it.

Far as boat rides, I have only asked once and it didn't work out since his batteries were stolen that weekend. Not a big deal really. Either way I enjoy being a part of it and over that time I have learned about the issues higher up with money and so forth. I did dishearten me to think something like this could come crumbling down that from I have learned has done alot on several levels. It cannot all be fixed overnight. I won't walk away from it because of that. I do my part on certain levels and maybe down the road on a bigger level to keep things going.

I've heard several people point out that we can get things done but it takes voices and people that are able to step up to the plate together. Things like Muskies Inc and the MMA here in Minnesota have those voices it just takes time and organization. As Treats said I believe, the DNR is willing to provide us with fry if we can provide the pond the raise them. If you show then what can be done and make it known, it makes it hard to ignore.

Far what they do at the national level. I think it is more of the organization of the entity itself. The international has the framework, the chapters implement it. Makes it structured so each chapter is fairly close on how they function. Not that it cannot be done as an individual club. But it makes easier I would imagine for a group of people to have a framework. Why reinvent the wheel? Maybe it is not the best framework but that's where the chapters come in, see the issues and address them with the international and make those changes so things do work better. That's where the time comes in. I guess you could say it's a work in progress and will always change as time evolves.

And what I get out of it is even better. And what I put into it, I get more out of that then I could have ever imagined. Do I still suck hunting muskies? You bet! But the friendship and fun I get are worth working on the issues that come up. Anyways it is certainly not for everyone. We're all different, have different goals, free time and so forth. I need to get back to work. I just forgot my lunch today and didn't want fast food when I have pot roast in the fridge. Maybe I am just blowing smoke right now or you (not speaking of anyone specifically) think I am talking out my arse.

This is a good discussion and certainly brings up good points. There are obviously a lot of things we can work on at all levels from the chapter to the international.

Edited by mm12463 3/21/2006 12:08 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)