Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wow, water temps...

Message Subject: Wow, water temps...
BNelson
Posted 8/10/2010 10:44 AM (#454283 - in reply to #454021)
Subject: Re: Wow, water temps...

haven't casted a musky bait in Madison since the last week of June...imo they have been too high since then...buddy saw a couple floaters recently. Hope guys do the water release or just wait til it cools down for a while.
funny to look at the muskiesinc registered fish for the month of july and see all the fish registered by guys who claimed to be done til it cooled. guess it cooled down and I missed it.

Edited by BNelson 8/10/2010 11:44 AM
619musky
Posted 8/10/2010 11:04 AM (#454286 - in reply to #454283)

We need a cold front. Not only would it bring down the water temps but i think it could turn the fish on. We need some kind of weather change.
lambeau
Posted 8/10/2010 11:16 AM (#454287 - in reply to #454021)
Subject: RE: Wow, water temps...

i just booked Oct 22-24 at Skyview for the annual Presque Isle (don't call it an outing) Event. hope it's cool enough to fish by then...
MuskieMike
Posted 8/10/2010 11:20 AM (#454289 - in reply to #454021)

It's been scorching over here in Iowa. We have another Heat Index warning on Thursday. Not to mention WAY too much rain. Since I can't go fishin' I'm workin' every weekend I can.
BNelson
Posted 8/11/2010 10:47 AM (#454535 - in reply to #454021)

someone checked the water temps on Mendota in Madison...a 9,000 acre lake and found 77 degrees all the way down to 30 feet...anyone out musky fishing in Madison right now that thinks they are releasing the fish back into cooler temps is sadly mistaken...
Captain
Posted 8/11/2010 2:04 PM (#454574 - in reply to #454535)

BNelson - 8/11/2010 10:47 AM

someone checked the water temps on Mendota in Madison...a 9,000 acre lake and found 77 degrees all the way down to 30 feet...anyone out musky fishing in Madison right now that thinks they are releasing the fish back into cooler temps is sadly mistaken...

Wow, that is unreal temps to that depth.

Not familiar with that body of water, but is it a stained or clear water lake?
My guess would be stained, but I am curious to know.
2T Critter
Posted 8/11/2010 4:37 PM (#454595 - in reply to #454021)

I can't believe there are still guys fishing for skis' with these high water temps. Spoke to a friend today who knows of some guides fishing SE WI lakes during these times of high water temps and seemingly not caring about the resource. Thanks to all the guys who are sitting out the warm water waiting for cooler water. That's the way to preserve the resource.
Posted 8/11/2010 4:53 PM (#454598 - in reply to #454595)

GEEEZ guys. Just go bass fishing will ya!
Slow Rollin
Posted 8/11/2010 5:13 PM (#454602 - in reply to #454283)

alot of people dont care....assume that if the fish goes down and barely swims away that it lives.....i posted awhile back i was on a lake in MN.....in august, super clear water, i could see down about 12 ft, it was flat calm and i saw about 15 dead muskies dead on the bottom....most of them dont float when they are dead, they sink and you dont see it or know about it!!!!!!!
Posted 8/11/2010 5:32 PM (#454609 - in reply to #454021)

Why is it that the travelling guides stop when the water temp reaches a certain temp on their home water but they dont stop when they are in MN?
jonnysled
Posted 8/11/2010 5:34 PM (#454610 - in reply to #454021)

a good way to look at it is that it will be a very good year for the turtles ...
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 8/11/2010 5:40 PM (#454612 - in reply to #454610)

I wasn't on here 2 years ago, was there always a bunch of talk about water temps being to hot? It just seems people are talking about it more because of last year being an "off" year where water temps never got over 80 in SE WI. This summer has been pretty normal for the way summers usually go, 80-85 degrees out. What was the talk before last year? And Im not for fishing skis in super hot water, just wondering thats all.
jonnysled
Posted 8/11/2010 5:45 PM (#454613 - in reply to #454021)

last year i think it snowed in june and summer didn't show up until september. temps. were so cold in the spring-early summer that some species didn't spawn and that was a concern and discussion topic i do remember.

the preachers who fish right through it get their tickets punched to easily IMO ... i've also heard the rhetoric only to see the same people on the water in the swealtering heat. now, how can you "nicely" put them where they belong? sigh ... protect the fish? or protect people's feelings?

next ...
stdevos
Posted 8/11/2010 5:51 PM (#454614 - in reply to #454021)

Here is a link to real time buoy data on Lake Mendota, I wish there was one on every lake!

http://metobs.ssec.wisc.edu/buoy/
Mikes Extreme
Posted 8/11/2010 8:36 PM (#454655 - in reply to #454274)

Crazy how some guides here is SE wisconsin are still booking trips and fishing as much as they can. I have canceled almost all of the last three weeks and all of this week. I did do a few that were water release only trips and had a couple fish caught on weedlines in late July that got a quick picture taken of them for clients.

I know of a few local guides that are out trolling deep water. One of them puts the fish in the livewell after every catch and sets back up trolling then takes a picture and tosses them back in LSC style.

I just don't get it.

Another guy called me Monday night and asked if I knew anyone who would take a 41-incher. He caught it casting a Mag Dawg and it died. He couldn't figure it out. The bad part was both of them kept on fishing knowing the fish was going to spoil in the live well. WTF.

I have seen 6 over 48-inches floating this season and 15 total floaters. Thats when I was fishing back in July.

Come on people. Give the fish a break.

A buddy called me Wednesday night and said lots of guys were trolling deep water and others were casting all over Pewaukee Lake.

Hurts to not be on the water BUT it hurts more to hear about all the guys who don't give a Shmitt.

I am tempted to call a few of the local guides and try to book trips now and ask what they think about others keeping off the lake due to the heat. Would be interesting to hear some of those answers. I bet money rules over respecting the resource.

Fall food plots, trail cameras and cleaning out shooting lanes has been my job lately instead of guide jobs. I know I will not have time later with all the rescheduling I have done in the last few weeks. With all my stuff done now all I need is the water to cool under 80 and it's back on the water every day till November. Then it's BUCKS and MUSKY.

Sorry for the long post. I had to VENT a bit.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)