Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> At what point is it "caught"?

Message Subject: At what point is it "caught"?
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/17/2013 5:12 PM (#652273 - in reply to #652102)
Subject: Re: At what point is it "caught"?

hoosierhunter - 7/17/2013 10:25 AM

What are the water temps in Kentucky?
You can call Cave Run Report at !- 606-783-7001 if they don't answer call back as they update it. Last Sunday the temp was 80*
Ben Olsen
Posted 7/17/2013 6:11 PM (#652285 - in reply to #652007)

I was fishing with the late, great Eric Genson and fumbled my PB out of the net. He turned around and said "What happened? She "sasquatched" ya." I asked what he meant..."you know, crazy story, no picture" he said. If there's no pic... it didn't happen! Seriously though, in the net or full control for water release.

Edit: You cannot claim a measurement without measuring! i.e...you can't say "46" you must say mid/upper 40s. Also, you cannot claim an unmeasured fish as a "50+"

Edited by Ben Olsen 7/17/2013 6:17 PM
Tim R
Posted 7/17/2013 7:00 PM (#652300 - in reply to #652007)

So if your fishing a week before the season opens for walleye and you snag a muskie, get in a cradle, and release it....and someone asks, did you catch anything ? Do you tell them you "caught it " ?
Ben Olsen
Posted 7/17/2013 7:22 PM (#652303 - in reply to #652007)

you tell 'em you snagged it!
Netman
Posted 7/18/2013 8:06 AM (#652383 - in reply to #652007)

I would say that's caught and counted. What about where you have a partner that is diddling around getting the net and the fish comes off at boatside? Or you have the fish there ready to net but old Slowpoke Loco is taking his good nature time in getting tired butt up, or how about where your Mr Reliable goes to net the fish and knocks the lure out of it's mouth......
Netman (every boat needs a good one)
jaultman
Posted 7/18/2013 9:12 AM (#652403 - in reply to #652383)

Netman - 7/18/2013 8:06 AM

I would say that's caught and counted. What about where you have a partner that is diddling around getting the net and the fish comes off at boatside? Or you have the fish there ready to net but old Slowpoke Loco is taking his good nature time in getting tired butt up, or how about where your Mr Reliable goes to net the fish and knocks the lure out of it's mouth......
Netman (every boat needs a good one)

If you intend to get the fish into the net but fail to do so, it is not a catch. If you don't get the fish in the net, but didn't want to net it anyway, it is a catch. That's the way I look at it.

I had a low 30's to the boat a couple weeks ago with only my 9 year old nephew to run the net, so I just told him not to net it. I let it shake the hooks and called it a catch. Then last week I hooked an upper-40's beauty way out, got it to the boat, and it was freaking out - within netting range - for about 10 seconds before throwing the hooks. I wanted (very badly) to get this one in the net, but failed to do so. Not a catch. Still recovering from that one.
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 7/18/2013 4:14 PM (#652491 - in reply to #652102)

hoosierhunter - 7/17/2013 9:25 AM

What are the water temps in Kentucky?

I guess it depends on where in Ky a person is fishing. My buddy and I were in Barren River yesterday and the water temp was at about 74 degrees and then we moved up into a blue hole fed stream and it was 60 degrees. My buddy caught this 42 incher and I went ahead and took a picture of it in the net before we took it out, just in case it escaped before we could snap a picture of it out of the net. The fish released well in the 74 degree waters.

Edited by KentuckyMuskie 7/18/2013 4:17 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(TMMBb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TMMBb.jpg (105KB - 182 downloads)
esox911
Posted 7/18/2013 4:48 PM (#652502 - in reply to #652007)

You caught it !! To bad you couldn't get the exact length and photo--but you landed it. I have had a couple smaller ones jump and get free also after putting them in the net--wasn't to concerned because they were nowhere near my PB. Keep the next one in the net !!
shootist
Posted 8/19/2013 4:14 PM (#658234 - in reply to #652007)

I have never caught a musky. This summer, while on vacation in Wisconsin, I met up with a friend and he took me down a float of the Flambeau River. I desperately wanted to catch my first "ski". He caught a low 40's fish (we didn't measure it) and he released it. A few minutes later, we were moving back to the middle of the river, and I just had my topwater (Tyrant Crusader) boatside plopping along. When we got back in the middle, right before I picked it up to cast, I started a quick figure 8 and a small (30 inch?) musky took a swipe at it. I continued to figure 8 and with each turn, the musky took a try. On the 4th hit, I got a hook in him. I was using a very heavy rod and since it was boatside and happened so fast, I just lifted him up over the boat. Before we could do anything, he flopped off, hit the edge of the boat, and landed back in the river. He swam off. I wanted so bad to have "caught" that fish. Had he flopped off and went straight down, he would have landed in the boat. I'm glad he didn't, because I know it would have hurt him, but I came oh so close. I hope he wasn't hurt bouncing off the boat. He sure swam off quickly when he got back in the water. Obviously I couldn't count him, (even if I was inclined, this would have been my first musky so I couldn't do it for sure, lol), but I said I was about as close to catching one as I could get without doing it. Hopefully in a few weeks here in Southern IL I will break the streak at Kinkaid.

Edited by shootist 8/19/2013 4:17 PM
bturg
Posted 8/19/2013 8:35 PM (#658274 - in reply to #652007)
Subject: RE: At what point is it "caught"?

Simple answer...when YOU decide to release it. If you didn't get to that point you didn't catch it.
ToddM
Posted 8/20/2013 8:42 AM (#658329 - in reply to #652007)

when you have posted the picture on this site.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 8/20/2013 10:21 AM (#658353 - in reply to #658329)

I consider a fish caught once you gain control of it. This can be in a net or boatside water release.
Lots of muskie fishermen are now water releasing fish without touching the fish. I do this on lots of fish during the season. Exclusively when the water temps reach that upper 70's mark. Once the fish is to the boat and I have the leader line in my hands I consider it caught. I can net a fish much faster than I can get the leader into my hands at boatside.
Why bag a fish and hurt them if you don't have too. Water released fish swim off stronger and less damaged than a fish bagged.
A simple snip snip or grab and twist with a long nose pliers is my prefered method on fish under 40 inches. Client fish are different. If a picture is needed I bag the fish and unhook them to avoid injuries to clients.

Also I take a quick picture as the fish gets to the boat before the water release for my records. Now I got the date, time and bait used on record. That's nice to go with the manual fish log I do every time I get off the water.

I would rather see fish swim off healthy with a water release than tell a guy it was not a catch because he didn't net it. That's just not rite. A quality fishory is more important than personal numbers.
pete619
Posted 8/21/2013 4:26 PM (#658687 - in reply to #652007)
Subject: RE: At what point is it "caught"?

If I have to un-hook it, net or no net, it's caught.
Chasin50
Posted 8/22/2013 8:49 AM (#658782 - in reply to #652007)

I am glad i am not the only one who has gone through this dilema... I recentl lost two nice fish that i was hand landing... I had the gill hold on them (more than once in one case), but the fish escaped me. I consider them caught, but i didn't get a measurement, whcih is driving me crazy... So for me to sleep well, i need a measurement on a nice fish...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)