Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tranx

Message Subject: Tranx
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/22/2013 2:07 AM (#628948 - in reply to #628918)
Subject: Re: Tranx

mreiter - 3/21/2013 9:16 PM

Jason,

I have both reels. I used the 975 for DD10's only. I would consider the 975 an ok reel for that application. It did not cast very well and is slow but effortless. The PG is above and beyond a better choise. Casts very nice and reels effortlessly. It is much faster than the 975. I palm it without a problem and I am HUGE!!!!!

MR

Thanks for the tips guys! Mike, had they picked my card/ticket that night, I'd be telling you how nice a Tranx is...lol. You have me convinced the PG is for me, once I get one for the wife for our 10th anniversery, and then borrow it.

My penns all cast better after 'packing' my line on once a month or so(running some line out behind the boat and cranking it in under load). Makes a diff.
anzomcik
Posted 3/22/2013 8:19 AM (#628970 - in reply to #628940)

esoxfly - 3/22/2013 12:49 AM

IAJustin - 3/21/2013 11:34 PM Listed crank speed mean little... a 400 (I have them) is about 18-20" per crank at the end of a cast..... if you just want crazy speed get the HG ..if want speed, and you want to fish hard and fast 10 hrs straight get a PG your forearms will thank you! The Tranx PG and the 700TE take all the work out of tens and they easily move bucktails as fast as you want to fish tails for 99% of conditions.....I advise anyone reading this to try and fish both models for 4-5 hrs (each) you will see what I mean. Or try an additional $40 POWER handle on the HG and find its still more work!

Hey, it's cool you like the PG so much and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.  Have at it bro, I've just stated why "I" like the HG.  This isn't a right or wrong discussion or a competition, and you're trying to make it one by making the HG sound like it's hard to fish and only effective in 1% of fishing...that's a stretch.  The HG isn't just for "crazy speed"....you can crank it slower if you want to.  PG for you, HG for me. 

I fish plenty hard and plenty fast, and I can go 10 hrs with my HG just fine.  Maybe I'm stubborn, or a glutton for punishment, or just like destroying my forearms, but it's never been the hassle you describe...for me at least.  So I bet the PG just feels like butter!...but so do my 400TEs, even if they're only 18".  What's the PG per crank in real world, if listed crank means little?  Is it truely 30 at the end of it's cast?

But when I added the longer, 16NA handle to my HG, it made it very, very comfortable.  I suggest folks give that a shot before thinking the HG is an unreasonable beast.

Amen!! I am also a huge fan of the HG

IAJustin
Posted 3/22/2013 9:06 AM (#628981 - in reply to #625185)

I know the HG is a great reel (obviously the same reel other than gear ratio to PG), Ive fished a HG for several days, it has many useful applications. The original post wanted to know opinion's on which model is better for blades. My comment's are strictly based on fishing 10's and 13's at speed (serious speed). Here is a fact: The faster you want to fish 10"s the more resistance they provide, they are a lot of work to reel nearly as fast as you can for hrs on end. Most "musky" reels are fine for fishing ten's "slow" or at night. I wanted another reel to Burn big blades - I compared the two, I actually figured with all the "speed" the HG would be the clear winner, but the faster I wanted to fish the blades the harder it became to reel the HG, the PG gives you a mechanical advantage to fish fast and reduce work. Now you can try to overcome this by adding a power handle - fine, but its still not as "easy". Like most things we use this is a "tool" people have different opinion's. As I've mention if you can go try both. I plan to get the HG as well....to burn 8's
jakejusa
Posted 3/22/2013 9:59 AM (#628991 - in reply to #625185)
Subject: RE: Tranx

I suggest a couple of you dudes using these $500 reels sell one or two at a deep dish discount. & I will help out by trying both of them, and let you know the ratings. :-))))
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 3/22/2013 10:15 AM (#628994 - in reply to #628991)

ok then you can buy my PG for 380 shipped with 100# performance braid!

Justin I do not understand your reasoning for wanting to use a Tranx for dub 8's as it is a heavy reel. The curado EJ is the best reel I have found so far for burning 8's with a trinidad 12 or 14 in a close second. I am not trying to undermine you here I am just saying that with small light bucktails I feel they perform better being thrown with line in the 65# range...so y not downsize your reel, use a high speed reel, and put lighter line on so you are not getting fatigued throwing a heavier setup with a small bait?!
IAJustin
Posted 3/22/2013 11:24 AM (#629005 - in reply to #625185)

because of spool diameter. I personally won't fish 65lb on muskie gear, but even if you do load an EJ or 60HS (I like both of them) with 65lb braid - You throw roughly 20% of the line capacity of these smaller reels on a long cast.. on an Tranx HG you would throw 10-12% of line capacity. You don't get the inches per crank on a small spool... A Tranx PG is faster than an EJ for 2/3 of the cast. An HG smokes small blades with little effort. I don't find the weight of the reel to be an issue.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/22/2013 12:11 PM (#629012 - in reply to #629005)

IAJustin - 3/22/2013 11:24 AM  An HG smokes small blades with little effort. I don't find the weight of the reel to be an issue.

x2! It's the weight of the rod and bait that wears me out rather than a few extra ounces of reel in hand. The HG also "smokes" small cranks/topwaters too, and picks up line faster with jerks. I also agree that the PG is the better choice for big blades. 

cast10K
Posted 3/22/2013 1:37 PM (#629018 - in reply to #629012)

How well does a tranx CAST compared to say a 400te???
anzomcik
Posted 3/22/2013 2:16 PM (#629025 - in reply to #629018)

cast10K - 3/22/2013 2:37 PM How well does a tranx CAST compared to say a 400te???

I never used a 400te, but i will say it casts just as good as any of my curado 300s. The reel is alot smoother than my curados in over all function.

lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 3/22/2013 5:34 PM (#629051 - in reply to #629025)

you can bomb cast the tranx just like a curado....they are fluid...some of the nicest reels made! hands down!
toddb
Posted 3/22/2013 10:22 PM (#629108 - in reply to #629051)

Except for the fact they are clumsy and awkward IMHO...
waldo
Posted 3/23/2013 8:37 AM (#629162 - in reply to #628940)

esoxfly - 3/21/2013 11:49 PM

IAJustin - 3/21/2013 11:34 PM Listed crank speed mean little... a 400 (I have them) is about 18-20" per crank at the end of a cast..... if you just want crazy speed get the HG ..if want speed, and you want to fish hard and fast 10 hrs straight get a PG your forearms will thank you! The Tranx PG and the 700TE take all the work out of tens and they easily move bucktails as fast as you want to fish tails for 99% of conditions.....I advise anyone reading this to try and fish both models for 4-5 hrs (each) you will see what I mean. Or try an additional $40 POWER handle on the HG and find its still more work!

Hey, it's cool you like the PG so much and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.  Have at it bro, I've just stated why "I" like the HG.  This isn't a right or wrong discussion or a competition, and you're trying to make it one by making the HG sound like it's hard to fish and only effective in 1% of fishing...that's a stretch.  The HG isn't just for "crazy speed"....you can crank it slower if you want to.  PG for you, HG for me. 

I fish plenty hard and plenty fast, and I can go 10 hrs with my HG just fine.  Maybe I'm stubborn, or a glutton for punishment, or just like destroying my forearms, but it's never been the hassle you describe...for me at least.  So I bet the PG just feels like butter!...but so do my 400TEs, even if they're only 18".  What's the PG per crank in real world, if listed crank means little?  Is it truely 30 at the end of it's cast?

But when I added the longer, 16NA handle to my HG, it made it very, very comfortable.  I suggest folks give that a shot before thinking the HG is an unreasonable beast.

Agree with esox fly, the HG is zero problem to toss for 10-12 hours a day for a week straight. The worst part of it is the weight of the reel, and PG is the same in that department.
bob
Posted 3/26/2013 12:49 AM (#629779 - in reply to #625185)

Are these reels ever going to be made in a left hand model?
Zinox
Posted 3/26/2013 1:43 AM (#629780 - in reply to #625185)

I don't Think so :/ but sure as he** hope must have a hg then :D
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)