Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> tackle boxes

Message Subject: tackle boxes
jackson
Posted 7/12/2010 10:05 AM (#449509 - in reply to #409808)
Subject: Re: tackle boxes

I did exactly what Rob S did, built my own using milk crates and PVC gutter material. For about $10 each. They work great and contain the hooks to the inside.
gman
Posted 7/18/2010 10:48 AM (#450547 - in reply to #409808)
Subject: RE: tackle boxes

This is what i made
http://www.quebecpeche.com/forums/uploads/1276275994/med_gallery_78...
fish4musky1
Posted 7/18/2010 12:17 PM (#450563 - in reply to #409808)

A milk crate with plastic downspout will hold quite a few lures and safety pin style spinners. You can also insert a bottom to one of the downspout sections and hold leaders. I have found pliers and other tools fit perfectly in between the space created where the rounded corners of 4 tubes come together. Easy to make and cheap, works for me.
Capt.Blaine
Posted 7/18/2010 12:32 PM (#450567 - in reply to #449478)

I see allot of people saying that nice musky cases are too expensive. But let’s really think about this. You buy a nice case for around $150. Let’s just say you put 40 baits in it. And let’s say each one of those baits are about the cost of a CG. That would be $1,000 in baits. And baits don’t last for ever a nice case will out last many types of bait.

If you fish walleyes you probably spend about $50-$100 for a nice box, and a hard core walleye fisherman not counting stick baits probably has around $150-$250 in tackle. Maybe walleye type boxes are to expensive?

IMO when spending $1,000 + for baits a nice protective case that’s fits all lures for a $150 doesn’t seem too bad.

I have chosen to protect my investment of baits with the Just Encase boxes. I really like the fact that they protect your baits from UV rays and you can see all your baits with out pulling up each one looking for a specific color.

muskie! nut
Posted 7/18/2010 1:01 PM (#450574 - in reply to #409808)

For me it was a matter of practicality, not price. I want an open air box and I always remove my baits when done and place them on a board. The fact that I save $140 making the milk/crate was a unintended benefit.
Yake Bait
Posted 7/18/2010 2:11 PM (#450581 - in reply to #409808)

Here are some more PVC and downspout square tube options:
cajun84
Posted 7/19/2010 10:54 AM (#450730 - in reply to #449478)

Well, it sounds like you are in the same spot as me and one of my friends earlier this year! We just started out for Musky this year and we don't have a ton of money to spend. What we did is shop around. For example, you can have the most amazing lure made and the best tackle box made, but if you don't have a reel that will be able to pull the lure, then you still don't have anything! Basically, what I am getting at is, I know where the guy is coming from, you want decent stuff, but it is expensive, however you have to have descent stuff all the way around to get the job done. What I would suggest is post on here in the buy/sell section what you are after. There are some really nice people on here and they will help you out. By buying the stuff used you can get quality stuff for what the cheap stuff would cost you new. As for the box itself, everyone on here has made good suggestions. I personally have a Lakewood Musky Magnum Monster. I bought mine new for under $75! What you have to do is watch stores such as Gander Mountain, Bass pro, Cabelas, etc.....each year they will clearance the last years boxes and you can pick them up cheap! Like I said I bought mine new this year for under $75 and Gander.....it normally sells for $150 +.....but this one was a 2009 model. If you need some more help, just let me know. I will do my best.
CU301DSV
Posted 7/19/2010 11:45 AM (#450743 - in reply to #450730)

My buddy has been using this old truck storage box that we've cleaned up and installed (fits nicely too!) at the back of the boat. It has the entire one side so far tubed with PVC pipe and the other side fits a big water Plano box full of buck tails. The box is also used for other storage needs, the boats lights, oil and tools etc. This doubles as a casting deck and hides the gas tanks along with the batteries. Another nice option with this is that it locks and is way too heavy stacked full for anyone to lift out and steal.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1boat7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1boat7.jpg (50KB - 437 downloads)
Shoot2Kill
Posted 7/20/2010 10:53 AM (#450894 - in reply to #449478)

Got this idea from another site and built this a month or so ago - total cost - about $15, 3" plastic gutter down spout and liquid nails, total construction time - 30 minutes. I boat hopped with it and it works perfectly. Just recently added another 1" pvc pipe on the side for my Knipex.

You could make one of these any size you want....the next one I make might have a 1 x 2 frame so it is an actual "box" all the same height. Mount a strap on the frame and boat hop all summer long for under 20 bones. If I can make it, I make it - instead of buying it....gives me more satisfaction. Still trying to find a way to make finsaver net. haha.

(IMG_5495.jpg)

(IMG_5494.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5495.jpg (119KB - 453 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5494.jpg (112KB - 528 downloads)
Shoot2Kill
Posted 7/20/2010 10:58 AM (#450895 - in reply to #450743)

CU301DSV - 7/19/2010 11:45 AM

My buddy has been using this old truck storage box that we've cleaned up and installed (fits nicely too!) at the back of the boat. It has the entire one side so far tubed with PVC pipe and the other side fits a big water Plano box full of buck tails. The box is also used for other storage needs, the boats lights, oil and tools etc. This doubles as a casting deck and hides the gas tanks along with the batteries. Another nice option with this is that it locks and is way too heavy stacked full for anyone to lift out and steal.

That is GENIOUS! What a perfect fit!
CU301DSV
Posted 7/20/2010 11:57 AM (#450906 - in reply to #450895)

Shoot2Kill - 7/20/2010 11:58 AM

CU301DSV - 7/19/2010 11:45 AM

That is GENIOUS! What a perfect fit!

I'll see if I can get a couple more pics of it inside.
PSYS
Posted 7/20/2010 12:12 PM (#450913 - in reply to #409808)

+1

That honestly is a pretty solid idea. If you can make it work and it's easy to use... why not?

I've got a Flambeau Maximizer... weighs nearly 50-pounds and the baits get all tangled together and messy. But I think it's just inevitable with the size of the baits, hooks and limited space. I think in order to keep things neat and tidy... you really need to incoporate a storage case that is built right into the boat. i.e., Just Encase, etc, etc.
Minnesotamuskyhunter
Posted 2/23/2013 12:27 AM (#619858 - in reply to #410375)

I was wondering if you knew his email.
Average Joe
Posted 2/24/2013 9:55 AM (#620111 - in reply to #409869)

sworrall - 11/26/2009 9:19 AM

We pay up to $50 for a GIANT lure yet complain when a tackle box designed specifically to hold the things costs about 20% of the intended contents? $400 for a reel, $120 to $300 for a rod...it's because we want, as a group, to use and store securely our HUGE gear.

Just invest in a Just Encase and you will never need another box...and he'll build you your box to order if you like.

Bob from Just Encase is a great guy, very easy to work with and he'll build anything you can imagine. You do get what you pay for, and he makes the best boxes around!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)