Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted

Frozen
Message Subject: Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted
d2bucktail
Posted 6/2/2005 12:18 PM (#149444 - in reply to #149179)
Subject: RE: Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted

Beautiful fish! Does anyone know if more than just the true Great Lakes spotted strain of muskies are being stocked into Green Bay? I was just looking at 10 photos of muskies caught in a Green Bay tributary since 1999 ranging from 31-51 inches. I netted most of them so I know they came from a Green Bay tributary. None of them have the St Clair type spotted markings this GB monster has - i.e. defined pale spots on a white background. All 10 of the photos I have show more of a barred pattern with only modest spotting. And the bars are very vivid/dark. I have seen a few other photos of GB fish that do have the defined pale spots.

Dave
wishin I caught that
Posted 6/2/2005 1:54 PM (#149460 - in reply to #149179)

That is an awesome fish for sure! I just don't recognize that stretch of shoreline anywhere on the fox river in GB? Maybe I'm missing it though, You have something there you will never forget! Congrats!
Parman99
Posted 6/2/2005 4:31 PM (#149478 - in reply to #149179)

Great looking fish...wish I saw that on the opener. My heart would still be racing
Bob
dogboy
Posted 6/2/2005 5:37 PM (#149484 - in reply to #149179)

Chalk another SLOBAPOTAMUS up for Wisconsin, within 2 years there will be a new world record controversy that we can all argue about, We are getting very close.
Just glad that the fish was released, hopefully healthy to drop all those eggs or SH@T out that 10lb carp!
Congrats dude, What color Rapala?haha
esox2
Posted 6/2/2005 9:34 PM (#149509 - in reply to #149179)

WOW! all i can say about that fish is wow
Shane Mason
Posted 6/3/2005 9:15 AM (#149556 - in reply to #149262)

Jason, yes the picture is cropped, but only the backround, I was the one who cropped it for him so I have seen the original backround and I can verify it. Backround is not from Mills Lac either, its from a lake we fish in Northern Manitoba for large northern, no muskie in it, so if anyone wants that spot they are more than welcome to it. There were also a couple of water spots I cleaned up. I was not trying to hide the fact that it was cropped, I left obvious shadows that dont match anything else in the picture. He only wanted to protect the area for those of us who do fish it which I greatly appriciate. You have seen what happened to the pressure that one Muskie hunter artical has done to the Fox River, its a fricken circus in the fall. And we didnt want the same to happen to the other areas of the Bay that word hasnt gotten out on. Its going to be bad enough this year with the pictures of big fish starting to pop up regularly.

As far as the vertical hold, dude didnt know any better, he was mainly a walleye fisherman, I have talked to him about it, and now he knows, end of story. If he had known at the time he wouldnt have done it. Up untill a few years ago I saw lots of vertical holds, that was before it was well known that it does cause harm to the fish. So for those that are still on your soap box, get over it, like I said the guy didnt know any better at the time. Just this morning I happened to look at the Sportsmans Connection Wisconsin muskie map book and right there on the cover was Joe Bucher vertically holding a very large 50+" fish from just a few years back. I am sure he didnt know any better at the time either.
Pike Master
Posted 6/3/2005 4:32 PM (#149616 - in reply to #149179)

So the background is from Knee Lake i presume.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 6/4/2005 2:15 AM (#149639 - in reply to #149179)

I too give the guy all the credit he deserves. And I feel that its quite substantial. To catch a fish like that on light tackle while legally gunning for walleyes is an accomplishment. The fishing Gods were definitely on his side as well. AND the fish was released. We've heard of the sizable muskie caught while ice fishing, also Green Bay I believe, that ended up as exhibit A in the Wisc DNR vs. Joe Poacher about 2 yrs ago, once the fish reached the taxidermist. Surely other large fish have also been caught and kept out of season only to reach the taxedermist once the season opened. Yes I know anglers are slowly getting better at this and acting more responsibly.
I just wanted to give this guy a sincere congratulations on an awesome catch. Surely the catch of a lifetime, in season or not. As far as I see he will probably stick with walleyes from here on out. How do you top that fish???
Great Catch,
Karl
reelman
Posted 6/4/2005 3:18 PM (#149661 - in reply to #149179)

Not that it really matters one way or another but the guy who poached the musky out of Stuergon Bay a couple years ago was mounting it himself.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 6/4/2005 11:12 PM (#149690 - in reply to #149179)

Beaver
Posted 6/4/2005 11:58 PM (#149691 - in reply to #149179)

Yup, that's what we all dream of.
I give the guy credit for showing us the pictures. I just wanted to see her.
The gut on that thing is amazing. I tell ya, that whole area of Lake Michigan is full of trophy fish of all species from smallmouth to muskie to walleye to perch......you name it. The forage base is one of the keys. There is a multitude of fat rich fish for those fish to eat year round.
Now I just wish that the DNR would wake up before it's too late and turn the place into a trophy factory and manage it that way. I know that the walleyes have special regs, so do the smallies. If ever there was a place that I would love to see a 50" size limit, Lake Michigan and it's tributaries would be the right place.
Now if I can just get the #*^@ things to migrate south and get these feakin' salmon out of here I'd be a happy guy. I actually hate to drive by the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline and look out there and know that it's managed for salmon and trout.
Bring on the muskies and the walleyes and the hell with the salmonoids.
My apologies to the guys who like to catch them and eat them a few times during the year. I worked on my brothers charter boat as a deck hand for ten years, and if I never catch another salmon it won't break my heart. I hate the way they taste. They stink worse than a muskie, and I just wish that there were some other fish around here every time that I look out at that huge pond so close to my home.
I think that I'm going to have to check out the Green Bay area for muskies and walleyes both. Perhaps I'll hire a guide for a weekend and take my daughter smallmouth fishing and let her fight fish until she can't anymore, and then take a tour of the area.
Shouldn't be too crowded with water that size.
Beav
H2O
Posted 6/5/2005 7:39 AM (#149695 - in reply to #149691)

There is a 50" limit on Lake Mich and its tributaries, north of Hwy 10.
Beaver
Posted 6/5/2005 7:56 AM (#149696 - in reply to #149695)

Thanks H2O- Even more reason for me to stay closer to home.
Beav
Hunter4
Posted 6/6/2005 10:52 PM (#149882 - in reply to #149179)

Hi all,

I've been out of town and when I saw this fish I just about keeled over. She is a beautiful. In season or not that is a big fish. You have to give the man his props for landing a fish like that on walleye gear. I'm sure glad there are no trophies swiming around Wisconsin.

Thanks

Dave
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)