Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting 10's

Message Subject: Casting 10's
Esox Assault
Posted 2/13/2014 9:57 AM (#691349 - in reply to #691050)
Subject: RE: Casting 10's

I agree with BNelson 100%. If you are looking to burn 9's and 10's, you want what picks up the most line. I used to throw a Trinidad 16N (46" per crank) and switched to the HG Tranx (43" per crank). Tranx is more forgiving as far as backlashes go compared to the Trinidad.
T_Peterzen55
Posted 2/13/2014 9:58 AM (#691350 - in reply to #691050)
Subject: Re: Casting 10's

The Tranx weather it is the PG or HG is an absolute game changer. I can safely say I have boated more fish because of those reels. I run both the HG and PG.

PG- It pulls a cowgirl with ease, it feels like you reeling in a beetle spin. The power is amazing. I perfer the PG for big blades over the HG because of the power and because it is more versatile. Your still getting good line pick up with the PG and you can also speed it up to "burn" in the baits. But the main reason is because it also allows you to slow roll at night or evening time. The HG is now to fast in my opinion for slow rolling. So for big blades....The PG hands down. Having the ability to cast blades further is another reason that is over looked, being able to keep the boat further away from the structure and bomb your cast up to the structure makes a huge difference, especially on the pressured lakes!

HG- I use my HG for big rubber! The line pick up is unreal. You get a better hookset because you are picking up the slack on the rubber much faster. You are reeling down to the fish at a much faster rate which causes you to feel the bite before the fish realizes that is is hooked. Slower reels take to long to pick up that slack and there fore the fish will start headshaking before you can even feel the fish.

As far as size and weight, yes it is a big reel. But when you put it on a big rod and actually give it a try its seems to balance the rod nicely. For me, I use my fore grip for big rubber so I can get more power when I am ripping my Bulldawgs and Medussas. When using the PG for blades, I can easily fit my hand on the Tranx with ease, and I have average size hands. The Tranx, HG or PG is something that I would try and convince everyone to at least try for an extended period of time. Like I said...It is a game changer!

500 bucks? Its worth it. Plus this time of year with the many shows going on...you can get a deal. Send me a PM and I can get you hooked up, or if you want some more info.
tswoboda
Posted 2/13/2014 11:30 AM (#691375 - in reply to #691050)

Burning bucktails your left hand/wrist (assuming right handed reel) takes the brunt of the fatigue. That's how it works for me anyway, I can crank all day with a Tranx HG but my left arm is what gets sore holding the rod with that much constant resistance. No reel can combat that, only a really fast action rod will help.
curleytail
Posted 2/13/2014 11:40 AM (#691377 - in reply to #691375)

tswoboda - 2/13/2014 11:30 AM

Burning bucktails your left hand/wrist (assuming right handed reel) takes the brunt of the fatigue. That's how it works for me anyway, I can crank all day with a Tranx HG but my left arm is what gets sore holding the rod with that much constant resistance. No reel can combat that, only a really fast action rod will help.

That's interesting. I haven't had that happen to me since I first started fishing. Do you make sure you aren't over gripping the reel? I use Jim Saric's tip now and then of curling/un-curling my fingers around the reelseat/reel to make sure I'm not using a death grip on the reel seat. Since I started being mindful of that I haven't had any issues with my left arm, hand, or wrist, and I palm the reel. I do pull the rod butt into my side and that friction seems to be enough that it doesn't take much else to keep the rod in place.

With that said I haven't picked up a super fast reel yet so maybe I haven't been subjected to the torque of truly burning bucktails.
tswoboda
Posted 2/13/2014 1:21 PM (#691413 - in reply to #691377)

curleytail - 2/13/2014 11:40 AM

With that said I haven't picked up a super fast reel yet so maybe I haven't been subjected to the torque of truly burning bucktails.

Yeah that's strictly for burning with high speed reels, over 40 IPT.  With a curado or calcutta  and a normal retrieve I have no problems with my off hand.  With a Tranx it gets sore.

brianT
Posted 2/13/2014 3:47 PM (#691452 - in reply to #691050)

Sorry to highjack the thread but just a quick question about the HG Tranx. When you guys hook into a big fish, do you still have the cracking power to fight that fish without pumping the rod?
genesisperformance
Posted 2/13/2014 5:18 PM (#691468 - in reply to #691256)

brianT - 2/12/2014 7:31 PM

genesisperformance - 2/12/2014 6:19 AM

Propster - 2/11/2014 11:00 PM

He said he's got a 6.4 and he's right, he doesn't want to use that.

Ya, I have one too but don't use it for blades as I don't want to burn it up every season.. the 5.4/ power handle worked awesome last year for me.

I just picked up a 5.4 for throwing double 10s. Which slot on the power handle do you use and do you think is makes a big difference either way?

I used the closer slot to the handle last season I liked it a lot, some people like the furthest one out better. Gota play around and see what works for you
BNelson
Posted 2/13/2014 7:17 PM (#691480 - in reply to #691050)

brianT
Posted 2/13/2014 3:47 PM (#691452 - in reply to #691050)
"Sorry to highjack the thread but just a quick question about the HG Tranx. When you guys hook into a big fish, do you still have the cracking power to fight that fish without pumping the rod? "

no problem on my end w the hg, no need to pump the rod when fighting fish.

IAJustin
Posted 2/13/2014 7:54 PM (#691484 - in reply to #691348)

musky-skunk - 2/13/2014 9:52 AM

Thanks! HG will probably be the way I go :)

...or just use my HG, you'll be cramped up after 12 hrs
musky-skunk
Posted 2/14/2014 8:49 AM (#691541 - in reply to #691050)

You calling me a wimp?! Haha

I thought I remembered you not being a fan... well I'm only buying 1 (this year anyways) so I'll have to think hard on it. Maybe I'll have to make a couple casts with yours and see what I think
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)