Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shallow raiders, jakes

Message Subject: Shallow raiders, jakes
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 6/8/2014 8:48 PM (#714623)
Subject: Shallow raiders, jakes

I have been starting to use shallow raiders and jakes more often now and would like to know how you guys work them. I'm not sure if I'm using them wrong I just would like to see what works best. I typically do a constant quick jerk or a few jerks then let the bait rise. Any luck on just a straight retrieve? Thanks for the help!
Musky Face
Posted 6/8/2014 9:17 PM (#714629 - in reply to #714623)
Subject: Re: Shallow raiders, jakes

Mix it up, can't go wrong. I like to twitch them, but straight retreive works also.
MstrMusky
Posted 6/8/2014 9:36 PM (#714633 - in reply to #714623)
Subject: RE: Shallow raiders, jakes

past.the.cast.mike - 6/8/2014 8:48 PM

I have been starting to use shallow raiders and jakes more often now and would like to know how you guys work them. I'm not sure if I'm using them wrong I just would like to see what works best. I typically do a constant quick jerk or a few jerks then let the bait rise. Any luck on just a straight retrieve? Thanks for the help!

I rip em like there is no tomorrow. 8.5 foot rod, I'll swing side to side sometimes. Where I mix is up at the boat. Keep in mind where I fish they really like to follow a lot. If the fish are aggressive that day, I'll rip the bait up at the boat as hard as I can, cranking for all I'm worth....and swing it right into the turn. Poop or get off the pot I say (to the fish). If fish are a bit less aggressive, I'll do a bit of a boat side rise about 15 feet from the boat, and smoothly swing the bait left to right...sometimes that gets a reaction strike where they just grab/nip it, or roll up on the bait.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question...it matters what works on your water and what the fish are doing that day.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/8/2014 9:47 PM (#714638 - in reply to #714623)
Subject: Re: Shallow raiders, jakes

I love them fishing hidey-holes on river shorelines....The great thing about big jakes and mag shallows is you can throw them into the spot, downed wood, current break, etc and create a lot of commotion while allowing the bait to remain in close proximity to the sweet spot. Throw it in there twitch-pause twitch twitch pause, pull-pause, and the bait is still right in the zone. I once I'm out of the zone I'll speed things up a bit reel for a few cranks pull pause, etc...then straight retrieve into the L....strikes usually come in the zone or on the L. I feel like you get the ability to max out time in the zone plus get good action with speed like a buck tail during the straight retrieve.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)