Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> good pike lakes in itasca county mn

Message Subject: good pike lakes in itasca county mn
muskieman6
Posted 8/6/2013 1:02 PM (#655769)
Subject: good pike lakes in itasca county mn

Hey guys im heading up north to itasca county for a week with the family and I'm trying to hook my dad into a big pike any hints or ideas on what lakes to try and hit? ...thanks in advance
northernmn
Posted 8/6/2013 10:55 PM (#655871 - in reply to #655769)
Subject: Re: good pike lakes in itasca county mn

Good luck with that one I have fished itasca county for 20 years and I personal best is 39. most of the lakes around here have been speared into hammer handle factories
jaultman
Posted 8/7/2013 7:15 AM (#655895 - in reply to #655769)
Subject: RE: good pike lakes in itasca county mn

I've never really fished these for pike, but people spear big ones every year in: Pokegama (GR), Trout (Coleraine), Wabana (10 mi. North of GR), Siseebakwet aka Sugar (SW of GR). I don't think Sugar has many but I've heard of some big ones. All of these will have tons of hammer handles, which is pretty much all I've caught, but I don't target big ones so I only catch incidental ones while walleye fishing.

Some people specifically target them on Winnie and Leech and catch lots of 5 - 10 pounders with the occasional big one. I don't know much about that though.

Like northernmn said, there seem to be way more lakes infested with hammer handles than there are lakes with with an actual quality pike fishery.
Seilers
Posted 8/7/2013 9:46 AM (#655930 - in reply to #655769)
Subject: Re: good pike lakes in itasca county mn

Agree with Trout, Pokegama, Wabana and Winnie. Would also add Swan by Pengilly. Big pike is a relative term in this area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)