Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Peacock Bass Reels

Message Subject: Peacock Bass Reels
talmooner
Posted 7/15/2013 3:18 PM (#651756)
Subject: Peacock Bass Reels

Pikemaster,

I know this is not a muskie related question but if you can offer any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

What would you recommend for a peacock bass reel? This would be used for ripping topwater prop baits like the Luhr Jensen Wood Chopper, Highroller Riproller or Pavon Prop. These baits are generall 5.5" to 7.0 inches and 1.5 oz. to 2.5 oz.

Retrieve style is basically to rip the bait as quickly as possible with sharp downward snaps of the rod moving the bait some 18 - 24 inches per rip.

Rods supplied by the outfitter are typically 6'-6" to 7'-0" MH with medium fast action.

Right now I am using an Abu Revo Toro 60 HS and a Curado 300 spooled with 80# Power Pro. These reels have performed well and I have no complaints, just curious as to what you might recommend.

Thanks,
John Bosman
Talmooner
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/15/2013 3:49 PM (#651759 - in reply to #651756)
Subject: RE: Peacock Bass Reels

talmooner - 7/15/2013 3:18 PM

Pikemaster,

I know this is not a muskie related question but if you can offer any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

What would you recommend for a peacock bass reel? This would be used for ripping topwater prop baits like the Luhr Jensen Wood Chopper, Highroller Riproller or Pavon Prop. These baits are generall 5.5" to 7.0 inches and 1.5 oz. to 2.5 oz.

Retrieve style is basically to rip the bait as quickly as possible with sharp downward snaps of the rod moving the bait some 18 - 24 inches per rip.

Rods supplied by the outfitter are typically 6'-6" to 7'-0" MH with medium fast action.

Right now I am using an Abu Revo Toro 60 HS and a Curado 300 spooled with 80# Power Pro. These reels have performed well and I have no complaints, just curious as to what you might recommend.

Thanks,
John Bosman
Talmooner

For Peacock Bass u will be doing alot of ripping of baits so U will need a reel with a backup Pawl for the A/R bearing. Reels I would use are the Shimano 300D, Toro 50, Curado 300E, and the Quantum EXO 200-300 which have Dual A/R Pawls. As far as gears I would use a 5.1:1 which has about 24-26 line pickup or a 6.1:1 no faster then that because U will be needing power to pull a Big Peacock out of tree roots. 65lb Braid or 80lb Braid is what U will be needing. A nice 7ft heavy action rod. Good Luck !!!!!!!!
talmooner
Posted 7/17/2013 2:32 PM (#652223 - in reply to #651759)

PIKEMASTER

Thanks for the info/advice and the good luck wishes.

I'm heading to the Amazon first week of October fishing with Amazon River Adventures. Hopefully the fishing gods smile on us and some biggies get Boga'd for pics before release.

Talmooner
TEX
Posted 7/17/2013 10:00 PM (#652338 - in reply to #652223)

Good luck on the peacocks I currently have 4 in my fish tank they are small now but hoping to get good size and all the color
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)