Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Wisconsin River

Message Subject: Wisconsin River
Corso Mike
Posted 5/14/2013 5:04 AM (#641244)
Subject: Wisconsin River

I have really enjoyed fishing muskies in rivers the last few years. Just to mix it up a few times a year. Could anyone give me some info on the Wisconsin River in the Merrill area? Slow and deep or fast with boulders/spoilers. What size of boat could be run? Lodging?
tcbetka
Posted 5/14/2013 7:12 AM (#641257 - in reply to #641244)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin River

I used to fly out of the Merrill airport, about 20-25 years ago. The main runway there took you right out over the Wisconsin River, to the west of the airport. Lots of rocks in the river it looked like, but there looked to be a great area out by the council grounds park. It was pretty open, and looked like a guy could find muskies out there. As for the River itself, I never fished it--but would think that a 16-17 foot aluminum boat would be more than enough out there. I did have college friends from Merrill who fished out there, and they told me they've run into muskies pretty regularly while fishing other species. That was back then though, so I don't know what it's like now.

But it isn't "big water" by any stretch of the imagination, so you wouldn't need a huge boat. As I recall, the river is only about 100 yards wide at it's narrowest point...maybe slightly less. But it was easy to see that there are rocks to hit as you get up into the narrower parts of the river--especially up near the lower dam there. Certainly someone on this board has fished the area for muskies though. It looks like too good of water not to.

TB
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/14/2013 7:50 AM (#641264 - in reply to #641244)
Subject: RE: Wisconsin River

If fishing below Merril, you won't want to run anything but a jon boat with a sacrificial bottom. That is a stretch you'll want to park one rig further down, doing a day float, until you learn where to go. Even then I wouldn't recommend anything other than a trolling motor or jet outboard on this stretch, in normal flows. Stretch near council grounds, above Merril, there is a bit of room for a large rig.
smbrickner
Posted 5/21/2013 12:42 PM (#642484 - in reply to #641244)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin River

I've fished Alexander a bit, but that is more of a Lake.
I floated around Brokaw and a canoe is about all you can use around there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)