Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Cast over by that rock, there's always a fish by that rock...
- (Added by: sworrall)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Paint mixing question

Message Subject: Paint mixing question
muskyslayer96
Posted 12/22/2012 6:09 AM (#604786)
Subject: Paint mixing question

Hey Fellas,

I've switched over almost exclusively from my siphon feed airbrush to gravity feeds and it's changed up my process a bit. With the siphon feeds, I always mixed / thinned my custom colors in the paint reservoir each time and went forward. Now it's a bit different that I squirt a mixed mixture into the gravity feed paint cup.

So the question i have is about mixing / thinning paint and storage. I use exclusively water based paint and I thin it accordingly with a homebrew mix. I mix a lot of my own custom colors / metallics /pearls. Do you guys mix up a batch in a spare createx bottle, label and use? Is a custom mixed and thinned color stable for awhile? For example i like to make my own orangish color where I may mix: transparent orange / pearl powder / pearl gold / , how long would a bottle of this made up and thinned correctly be stable?
I'd love to hear how others are handling their paint especially custom colors.

Thanks in advance fellas.........Happy Holidays!

MS
woodieb8
Posted 12/22/2012 7:03 AM (#604791 - in reply to #604786)
Subject: Re: Paint mixing question

normally we mix custom colors only for the batch being done. thats why theres variances in batches..sorta like dye lots in wools or clothing material.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 12/22/2012 8:15 AM (#604796 - in reply to #604786)

I mix on the go mostly MS...however, there are a few colors that I like to mix up in larger quantities to have on hand. Bluegill cheek color, the brown for the tops of my walleye, $9, muskie etc....I simply mix in a larger quantity and put it in one of those glass jars like you use for your siphon brush....squirt a little water on top for storage and screw cap tightly. Some paint will dry on the inside edges of your jar; when ready to use...do not agitate that dry paint or it will clog up your tip...I mix with a stick and pour gently into my brush.

Oh, and the only paint I thin is the white for base coating. Everything else is sprayed straight. Good Luck and Happy Holidays!!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 12/22/2012 8:16 AM
Stan Durst 1
Posted 12/22/2012 8:36 AM (#604800 - in reply to #604796)

I do large quanities so I use only lacquer, I use ALL siphon feed for less clean up and waste so I can't help you out on this one. Sorry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)