Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Three Lakes

Message Subject: Three Lakes
Joel M
Posted 8/24/2009 5:06 PM (#395725)
Subject: Three Lakes

Anyone willing to give up some advice for a first timer heading to Three Lakes over Labor Day weekend? Lakes, lure colors, etc.? Thanks.
PMV
Posted 8/24/2009 8:49 PM (#395769 - in reply to #395725)
Subject: RE: Three Lakes

I fish the chain on Memorial weekend every year and have more knowledge of spring spots than this time of year. It is dark stained water, and I have had the best action on brighter baits. We did put one in the boat on all black this year though. Wood, weeds, rock, cribs, it is all there. A few of the lakes have cisco if you want to try some open water.

Ken Jackson and another guide have a book with maps and a lot of good information with crib locations and a good overview of all the lakes on the chain. I have one in the boat all the time up there and it has been very helpful.

I like fishing the chain, you can always move around and find a lake that is a little different than the last without putting the boat on the trailer. More of a numbers lake(s) than trophy water.

PMV
Sam Ubl
Posted 8/25/2009 1:31 PM (#395930 - in reply to #395725)
Subject: Re: Three Lakes

Norm Wild is another guide you may want to seek out. I know he guides Pelican and Three Lakes primarily.
Tone
Posted 8/28/2009 12:26 PM (#396553 - in reply to #395725)
Subject: RE: Three Lakes

Joel,

First off I would suggest that you get yourself a good map of the chain. That alone will help you a ton! I've fished the chain for muskies for quite some time (I caught my first muskie on Big Fork in 1980!) and I will point you to a few spots.

Big Stone: Work the shore line near the golf course all the way up to the point (heading away from Hwy 32)

Medicine: Work the North East bay. It has a nice weed bed and a great drop off!

Little Fork: The East shore line near the channel that leads into Big Fork. Hit is shallow, hit it deep.. great spot

Big Fork: The south shore near the big boat house (Jollywood) east towards the point (though this spot has been pounded this year...)

Island: There is a nice cabbage bed on the south side of the island (the Water Craft side) with some fair drop offs near by.

Planting Ground: The flats that lead into Rangeline

Big Stone, Planting Ground, Medicine and Big Fork are the lakes that contain ciscos and have all treated me well throughout the years.

Black and orange have been good colors for me on the chain for years.

((editted to add some lure choices))

Forgot to mention that going with medium sized bucktails is a good way to start, but keep your ear to the ground as Mother Nature tends to change trends without warning!

Good luck!! I hope that this helps you out some

Edited by Tone 8/28/2009 12:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)