Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bait storage ideas?

Message Subject: Bait storage ideas?
davidd
Posted 11/7/2007 4:10 PM (#283500)
Subject: Bait storage ideas?

Looking for pictures and idea's for wintertime bait storage and repair that would also double to hold baits not in current rotation, year round.

I have plenty of space, so that is not a concern. Seems every winter I end up with baits all over in a basement room and then am either getting in trouble for the mess from the boss or petrified that one of my two curious dog's will get in the mess. I want to be able to see all baits (aprox 300) so I don't foolishly duplicate buying anything again or for a 4th time that I thought I didn't have - and also have easy access for repairs and general daydreaming about next year.

Main concern is that the height is up high enough that a german shorthair can't reach...so maybe chest high or better.

Any pics would be great - I need a project!
bigbite
Posted 11/7/2007 5:08 PM (#283516 - in reply to #283500)
Subject: RE: Bait storage ideas?

An option that I use would be to secure 16 or 18 guage insulated wire to the basement rafters and hang your baits on it. I use a staple every few feet to re-enforce the wire against the weight hanging from it. That way the baits won't droop down and snag someone. As the season progresses you simply grab the appropriate set of baits for your outing and load them in your tackle box and hang up the ones you're replacing . Works great as a method for drying your bucktails from your last excursion too. It also allows you to see exactly what you have so you can inventory them. If you are still concerned about bare hooks hanging down even at that height you can buy some window gasket material in the appropriate size to slip over the barbs.
muskie! nut
Posted 11/7/2007 6:14 PM (#283529 - in reply to #283516)

Here's a picture of my bait board. Its 22 ft long and 4 ft high. I took 4x8x3/8 sheets of plywood and ripped 3 strips out of a 2x4 (8ft long) and used them to 1) stiffen up the plywood and also keep the baits off the board itself. Then get a big container of wire staples, they are two brads with a plastic brace between them. I place them about a couple of inches apart. I hang the baits on these staples. See pic. The board is currently 22 ft long and is holding just over 500 baits. Some slot are missing, they are in my box and will go out fishing shortly.

Edited by muskie! nut 11/7/2007 6:16 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(baitboard07a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments baitboard07a.jpg (61KB - 154 downloads)
muskie! nut
Posted 11/7/2007 6:17 PM (#283530 - in reply to #283529)

Here's another shot when it was just 16ft wide. I had to take two pics (35mm) and place them together and scan them as one.

Edited by muskie! nut 11/7/2007 6:19 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(bait board.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bait board.jpg (192KB - 450 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)