Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies On The Shield

Message Subject: Muskies On The Shield
Pete H
Posted 7/23/2024 12:41 PM (#1029944)
Subject: Muskies On The Shield

Just curious is anyone has a copy they would be willing to sell? Been looking for this book for awhile now. Thanks
bturg
Posted 7/24/2024 9:38 PM (#1029973 - in reply to #1029944)
Subject: Re: Muskies On The Shield

DickP, you should do a second printing. You might make enough to buy next years newest lures ! Might being the key word.

But seriously it is one of the BEST if not THE best muskie books ever put in print. People should read it...do it.
dickP
Posted 7/25/2024 5:08 AM (#1029975 - in reply to #1029973)

Hi.Think it will happen.Reprint almost certainly,updated version possibly.The bugaboo is ‘electronics’.
Skibum
Posted 7/25/2024 5:27 PM (#1029991 - in reply to #1029944)

Dear Dick, I feel fortunate to have read almost every musky book printed. IMHO, your Muskies on the Shield is THE best one ever written for both novice and seasoned expert. Please do not get hung up on “electronics” as we all know that has been a moving target before, during and after your book! I think there is a huge group of anglers that would greatly benefit a second printing, and I for one would love to hear any and all Pearson musings , thoughts on any changes or add ones since the original. And believe it or not, there’s a bunch of us out here that are very happy to continue fishing as Muskie Inc describes “in the spirit of fair chase” .

Obfuscate Musky
Posted 8/2/2024 3:44 PM (#1030070 - in reply to #1029973)

It's THE best. Wish I remembered who I borrowed my copy to
North of 8
Posted 8/2/2024 3:58 PM (#1030071 - in reply to #1030070)

I had fished walleye in Canada before, but last Friday was my first experience with musky on a shield lake (Eagle). Hope to get back again and would also be interested in buying the book if it goes back into print.
IAJustin
Posted 8/3/2024 8:26 AM (#1030074 - in reply to #1030071)

I’ve been lucky to have been going to shield lakes since 1985, my first love through my teens was pike fishing and I couldn’t wait to go north whenever possible. By 1998 it was 100% muskie madness for me, every other fish is bait when the true madness sets in… I’ll never forget reading Dick’s book in 2005, the resort I was guiding out of had just got a copy or maybe a guest forgot it? But it was fascinating being on the water daily and reading the book 1/2 dozen times that summer. Validated much of what I was already doing, opened my eyes to a few others and just a great/fun read! I have a copy that’s in great condition, first $500 and I’ll ship it to ya! Ha!
medy
Posted 8/3/2024 11:57 AM (#1030075 - in reply to #1030074)

The possibility of a reprint might be my favourite musky news of the year!
chuckski
Posted 8/3/2024 6:38 PM (#1030079 - in reply to #1029944)

I've never been to Ontario and not caught a Muskie and seen some of my biggest fish and my dad got his best fish ever. I need to get a new passport and get back up there. Also catch Muskie sized Pike to boot. I've never been to Eagle but there are great guides there and the places I've fished you have to be careful of dock boys who are passed off as guides. All you get is a boat rental with a human GPS and know nothing of the muskies habits except Joe Blow caught one here one time. I didn't fall for the fake guide trick but did have a real guide in summer give up some of his fall trolling spots.
Jon Brown
Posted 8/6/2024 5:40 PM (#1030110 - in reply to #1029944)

OK. I'm also chiming in today to see if there is anyone who would be willing to sell me a copy of Dick Pearson's Muskies on the Shield.
I second the motion that Dick P authorize a second printing.
In the mean time, I would be very happy to purchase a copy from anyone...no matter its condition!!

Thanks!!
Matt DeVos
Posted 8/6/2024 10:18 PM (#1030122 - in reply to #1029944)

On this site, I've commented multiple times on this book. It's been the veritable bible on Canadian musky fishing for me, but it's application goes beyond just shield lakes. I bring it with me every time I travel north of the border, which is several times per year.

What's remarkable to me is that, each time I've read it, there is something new to find and ponder, an observation or other seemingly random factoid that leads to extrapolation or other thoughts to keep in mind -- that kind of depth, to me, is the mark of a truly great work.

Honestly, my copy is in pretty poor shape from many trips and readings over the years. Sorry to say, it's not for sale. But if there is another printing, I'd guarantee that I'd be a purchaser!!
Jon Brown
Posted 8/6/2024 10:51 PM (#1030124 - in reply to #1029944)

Thanks, Matt, for your comments. I live 15 miles from Sioux Falls SD and if anyone in this area is willing to loan me their copy of Muskies on the Shield, I could loan you my first born son as a security deposit! And he is a pretty good musky fisherman in his own right!
Jon Brown
Posted 8/6/2024 10:56 PM (#1030126 - in reply to #1029944)

Dick P, in my opinion you do not need to update anything! Sounds like the book will sell out fast as just a re-print! I’m headed up to Canada in 2 weeks and would sure like to take a look at that book!! Thank you!
dickP
Posted 8/7/2024 5:41 AM (#1030129 - in reply to #1029944)

First,appreciate the kind words expressed in this thread. Will get a reprint going asap.Never thought a market or interest in an old book existed anymore.
Jon not sure when u are heading to Canada but I’m heading the other way on the 13th and will be home in SD.If u go north via I29 maybe we could meet and u can borrow my paperback copy. Prolly wouldn’t have the time then to read it anyway but about the best I can do for now.PM me if that would help. Good fishing all!
kjgmh
Posted 8/7/2024 8:36 AM (#1030135 - in reply to #1029944)

Add me to the list that have been looking for a copy. Will be at Bay Store next week for the 5th time. Had the opportunity to borrow the book and read it before my first trip up. I am sure I would learn more if I could go through it again.
Jon Brown
Posted 8/7/2024 9:57 AM (#1030136 - in reply to #1029944)

Thanks, Dick. I sent you a PM on this topic. And thanks to another member for their offer to loan out their copy. Much appreciated!
BustedTip
Posted 8/9/2024 11:32 PM (#1030189 - in reply to #1029944)

I know I would definitely snag a copy or 3
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 8/11/2024 1:21 AM (#1030199 - in reply to #1029944)
Subject: RE: Muskies On The Shield

I definitely have a copy, but it's not something I would be willing to part with.

I'm in agreement that it is one of the best (if not THE best) ever written on the topic of fishing in the Canadian shield.

I especially like the chapter on deep, clear "trout water" (chapter 3, if I remember correctly).

I will be heading up to Pipestone Lake in Ontario next week, and I will be sure to read the "trout water" chapter before we leave.

And to be honest, I usually take my copy of the book along with me every time we go on a musky trip to Canada. I've gone over that book numerous times with a highlighter pen, and have some notes scribbled in the margins.

So, even though I wouldn't be willing to part with my one and only copy of the book, it sounds as if it's going to be printed again, so it appears like you're in luck.

For anyone reading my post who likes to fish in Sunset Country, I would HIGHLY recommend Dick Pearson's book.

The explanation of the difference between shallow, dark, fertile water and deep, clear, relatively infertile water, as well as the different tactics to apply in each of these lake types, is definitely worth the price of admission.

Hope to see it in print again soon!

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Emptynet
Posted 8/13/2024 8:15 PM (#1030254 - in reply to #1029944)

I'd love to get a new copy to go with my original. No, it is not for sale. Sorry guys.
Manta18
Posted 8/16/2024 10:34 AM (#1030305 - in reply to #1030135)

kjgmh - 8/7/2024 8:36 AM

Add me to the list that have been looking for a copy. Will be at Bay Store next week for the 5th time. Had the opportunity to borrow the book and read it before my first trip up. I am sure I would learn more if I could go through it again.

If you're going to Bay Store you have the walking version of the book right there. You could say Frank is the paperback version of the book while Pearson himself would be hardcover. Dick spent more than enough time with Frank (or vice versa), that they probably both have knowledge they don't know they have and we will never learn.
ColdLabatts
Posted 8/18/2024 7:06 PM (#1030351 - in reply to #1030305)

I love the book and read it at least once a year. If there is an update I'd love to see a "putting it all together" section on troutwater like there was on LOTW.
Manta18
Posted 8/19/2024 7:28 PM (#1030369 - in reply to #1030254)

Emptynet - 8/13/2024 8:15 PM

I'd love to get a new copy to go with my original. No, it is not for sale. Sorry guys.

I agree 100%. Reading this thread I pulled my copy off the bookshelf and it has seen better days, also I was lucky enough that Dick signed the book for me. Be nice to have a "working copy" and retire the current one before I wreck it
chuckski
Posted 8/20/2024 10:20 AM (#1030384 - in reply to #1029944)

I have lots of fishing books and books about the Northwoods and logging and history ECT, I bought them in Northwoods book stores or Rollie & Helens then In the 90's there was a outfit Fishermen's book shelf that had rare and out of date tittles in a mail in catalog. Now we can buy used and new books on E-bay, online book stores and amazon. You can get some good dells and sometimes you find what you want but you well pay thru the nose.
I was reading a old 1993 issue of musky Hunter (I have every printed issue) and in the back it had a list of books you could buy, I have every book they had listed. It also had a add for Rollie & Helens in Rhinelander (I remember driving by but didn't stop in ill 1994 when they moved to Minocqua).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)