Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bluebird

Message Subject: Bluebird
RyanJoz
Posted 7/2/2010 8:33 PM (#448405 - in reply to #447390)
Subject: Re: Bluebird

to learn about spoonplugging, one must read the book by Buck Perry titled "Spoonplugging, guide to lunker catches". more info can be found if you google spoonplugging.
Kingfisher
Posted 7/3/2010 1:54 PM (#448459 - in reply to #448405)

Yesterday , bluebird skies and only light winds. Went 8 for 14 on St. Clair with most fish coming on natural browns and Perch patterns. Wind picked up towards evening and the wife got her 4th 50 inch fish. Get this on a bluebird Perch ( new color for us at Talonz)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(50.5.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(bluebird perch.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 50.5.JPG (24KB - 188 downloads)
Attachments bluebird perch.JPG (23KB - 161 downloads)
jerryb
Posted 7/6/2010 9:51 PM (#448800 - in reply to #448459)

Nice job Mike!

My good friend John Bales just posted this http://www.spoonplug.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1010 on the spoonpluggers site and I thought it was right on the money, for those of who have never heard of Buck Perry.

John is probably one of the best at "doing" what it takes and one who best understands what Mr. Perry was teaching, (many claim to but very few actually do). Buck said that "Al Lindner was the best spoonplugger in the country" and that is probably true, but John Bales and others most who rarely are heard from, internet, are right there as well.

Ben, there is nothing simple or easy about any success, goes with out saying. However Mr. Perry spells out a set of guidelines in his teachings that will increase your catches, 'IF" you stick to them. I'll tell ya I came into this fishing thing 15 years ago not knowing a stinking thing. I too thought color mattered, what a dummy I was... joke,, So I tell you this with all humility and say it doesn't take any special person to catch 1500+ muskie fishing for them about 1/2 the year,, Also I know there are some who have never read a single word or they don't claim too, or heard of Mr. Perry and they catch a lot of really big fish. But I grantee that any good knowledgeable spoonplugger who went along with any such person could spell out to the letter "why" they are being successful and can point right to it in Buck's material.

Sorry MF never meant for this to get off track, but your question does not have a simple answer so if you can plan your fishing around the weather do so, if not be ready to put zeros in your log.

Bob, the foolish one here...
"Is LOTW the same as Melton Hill? Is Green Bay the same as the WI River? No two muskie fisheries are the same...some can be very similar but no two muskie lakes or rivers are created equally. To think that they all, from Cave Run, Melton Hill, Green River, Lake St. Clair, Green Bay, Moen Chain, etc. can be approached the exact same way is just plain foolish."

I know these lakes, in fact I've fished just about all of them, plus another 100 or so, but you missed the point buddy, I never said, let me say this right, "Buck" never said any two bodies of water were the same???? or should we look at them the exact same, did you ever read the section on lake types? H%ll there are never 2 days the same.... You certainly can't fish a 24' thermocline at Cave Run in University bay. Or could you troll a 53' breakline in November at Lotw the same way in St. Clair? But you may fish in a very similar way Green Bay and St. Clair and Lotw and Cave Run depending on the time of the year.

But comments that focus on the "how" will always get the fishermen into trouble! The how is the easy part of catching a fish. The focus should 99.99% of the time be on the "where", what depth and at what speed and learning what "A" fish will do and what he won't, "most of the time" with the conditions we are faced with at the time. Fish are fish and there are very few differences, yes there are slight differences but they all react to stimuli, some for longer periods of time, some shorter but it's up to the fishermen to get good enough at identifying the situation.

We should take in as much information as available before launching the boat, "if" we decide a lake is worthy of our time, believe it or not all lakes are worth fishing. We then look at the features in the lake and after a day on the water again reevaluate, if more time is needed so be it. It's an on going learning experience. Buck said it took him on average 4 days to put a lake in his back pocket, it take the rest of us,,, longer.

Ryan sent me a pm or email, haven't fished Shelbyville but a hand full of times, but Kinkaid I do know is loaded, a few years back we had a 22 muskie day there and 96 in three consecutive weekends, the 7 hours back and forth was a pain but the kids had a good time.

Enjoy John's comments, it's good!
djwilliams
Posted 7/8/2010 11:37 AM (#449012 - in reply to #447390)
Subject: RE: Bluebird

Get out early in the morning or in the evening, or get in the weeds- otherwise... troll.
Will Schultz
Posted 7/8/2010 1:47 PM (#449035 - in reply to #447390)

Anything ever written on structure fishing, by anyone other than Buck Perry, is taken from his teaching. You can tell those who write/talk that aren't familiar with correct terminology. For instance, structure isn't cover and cover isn't structure but you need cover to have good structure, it makes me cringe when someone calls weeds "structure".

http://spoonplug.net/
jerryb
Posted 7/8/2010 10:16 PM (#449127 - in reply to #449035)

Will,
Let me help you out just a tad, yes you are correct "Anything ever written on structure fishing by anyone other than Buck Perry, (has) taken (It) from his teachings". This is a fact! However as Mr. Perry has written in order for a structure to be good it must lead all the way from the shallows to the deepest water in the area, however again some of the "best" structure situations exists without a single blade of grass or cover, so no, a structure situation does not need "cover" to make it productive, just a route for the fish to follow.

And yes I too cringe, mostly laugh out loud.. when the TV/ writers or guide says they know what structure is. I once attended a seminar titled "Structure" by a well known book writer/ speaker and so called deep thinker in the industry, name will remain anonymous for his own protection, Remember Todd? He started his talk by asking if anyone in the audience knew of Buck Perry? Very few if any besides myself raised their hands, he had a room full of naive participants, if I may say "monkey sees monkey do" musky fishermen in the palm of his hand, he went on to tell this group of how bait, and wind, and the moon, and the color of their bait was "structure", I was so discussed I walked out thinking these guys will never understand....... with this much confusion being pushed on them. As I said I came into this fishing thing not knowing a thing and I was willing to learn as long as I felt it fell into the realm of common sense.

Edited by jerryb 7/8/2010 11:04 PM
HomeTime
Posted 7/9/2010 6:17 AM (#449148 - in reply to #447390)

Super sunny calm hot days have yielded some pretty good results for us over the years on a range of different baits. What seems to stay consistent on the super clear water I fish is Black or Perch. Typically smaller fish always go for the faster moving blade baits (inline and spinners) and the big fish hit slow moving presentations like Hell Hounds and most commonly Suicks. I find that the fish on these days are usually not very aggressive and take their time deciding if they want to bite. Jerking in the suick, most often than not you watch the muskie stalk the bait up to about 8-10 ft from the boat and they just nip the bait on the pause. Weighted suicks that are water logged and stay suspended seem to be key as the bait stays in their face on the pause. Just my experience, but between me and a few other buddies, we have nailed about 10 50"+ fish on these days in the last 2 years. But the fishing is usually quiet slow and sighting is less than par.

Edited by HomeTime 7/9/2010 6:18 AM
Kingfisher
Posted 7/16/2010 9:15 AM (#450241 - in reply to #448800)

jerryb - 7/6/2010 10:51 PM

Nice job Mike!

I'll tell ya I came into this fishing thing 15 years ago not knowing a stinking thing. I too thought color mattered, what a dummy I was... joke,, So I tell you this with all humility and say it doesn't take any special person to catch 1500+ muskie fishing for them about 1/2 the year,,

I dont know if you are kidding or not with that statement. I can assure you color does matter on many systems. Lakes like St. Clair where all your baits are running in basic formation at the same depth each day one color seems to shine over the others. Maybe its contrast but it still means difference in color even if its black and white. Gold blade versus Nickle blades etc. Brite yellows vs. dark browns etc. Perch vs 9$bass etc. Color matters and anyone telling you otherwise is misleading you. Some of best Muskie fishermen in world buy lures from me and they have definite preferences in color. Another thing I find true is that in crank baits the type of body is regional. For instance Shad style lures in the 4 to 6 inch range are preferred in southern states like Ohio, Indiana , southern Illinois and Kentucky where longer body styles work better in northern states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

As far as structure goes? Its all structure to me if it holds fish. Rocks, weeds, drops, holes, a log on the bottom or a wreck. Anything that changes the bottom contour is of interest to me. Spoonplugging , hmm I have been accused of spoonplugging before. Buck said fish are either shallow , deep or somewhere inbetween. Now there's a brilliant statement. Perry used no bow line and different size spoon plugs to test depth and maintain certain depth but it was and is today an outdated tactic which by your own admission gets you snagged up a lot. Not my cup of tea. I prefer to fish above them not on the bottom. Today we have GPS, sonar with side imaging and water temp sensors that we can use to find and target fish. I care not who invented structure fishing but care more today about how fish relate to structure, cover and temperature layers. To me weeds, breaks, drops and suspended fish all figure into my day on the water. Buck perry was was a good teacher in his day and his stuff still works but Ill take my electronics and crankbaits any day over no bow line and spoon plugs. Been there done that.

The last part of the statement is pure rubbish. Anyone can catch 1500 plus muskies fishing for them half the year? Thats averaging 150 fish per year for ten years. Thats misinformation at its best. Only accomplished anglers will ever top 1000 muskies in a life time. The exception to that is the fisherman who targets lakes like Fluke Lake in Ontario where where anyone can catch 10 fish in one day.

I read Bucks book. It was a good read. I learned a few things and added to what I already knew and what I am still learning Im a pretty good fisherman. So this post was about Blue bird days and how to catch fish in those conditions. I posted pictures of our catch on a bluebird day. W e trolled natural colors using planer boards to get our lures away from the boat. On blue bird days with clear water and light winds fish tend to be boat shy which is why the planer boards work so good. Today I would like to know who invented Planer boards as that is the man who put those fish in my boat. Mike
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)