Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

Message Subject: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!
dfkiii
Posted 1/16/2016 9:29 AM (#799861 - in reply to #799857)
Subject: Re: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

Pointerpride102 - 1/16/2016 9:14 AM

It really is amazing how loud a leaf blower is on the water. I was out fishing this fall and someone had a professional yard crew cleaning up their yard (I presume the actual owners were not there). I didnt notice it at first (or didn't care), but they just kept going and going. When they finally stopped I felt like my ears were ringing.

Whenever I run the d@mn thing, ear protection is essential.
Jamz
Posted 1/20/2016 8:55 PM (#800584 - in reply to #799456)
Subject: RE: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

The discussion is a little frustrating to me as I bought a cabin on Pelican Lake late 2014. I paid association dues only to find out that the association was using the money towards baseless propaganda and fear mongering. It is a nice lake, but the pleasure boater crowd is thick. All of the most annoying behaviors are there, drunk boaters, wake boarders 20 feet away, pwc's, running pontoons at night with no litchts, etc. So Muskie fisherman traffic are the least of the lakes concerns. Zebra Mussles made the lake clear, really clear, so the walleye are deep, deep in summer. Many fisherman can't comprehend the changes, so the fish must be gone. Kinda funny, kinda not.

My favorite comparison on the subject as it relates to the association and controlling the stocking is like this. I own lakeshore and a backlot across the road. Using association logic, I should get determine the speed limit on that section. Maybe tolls too. People seem to get that I can't control that, but are not sure about the lake. Interesting thing is that they stock a TON of wall eyes in that lake. Left to natural reproduction, there would be very few all eyes there in a short period of time. I hate the "it's our lake" mentality, but it is pretty prevalent there. I think we need the Wisconsin rights concept here in Minnesota.
Top H2O
Posted 1/20/2016 10:34 PM (#800593 - in reply to #800584)

Good Post ,Jamz.
North of 8
Posted 1/21/2016 7:07 AM (#800602 - in reply to #800593)

One question that Pointer or others may be able to answer: Does Wisconsin normally hold hearings when a decision is made to stock a lake? The chain where I live has had several stockings of walleyes in the past few years but the chain has always had walleyes and I know there were no public meetings about it. If they plan to stock a fish not already in the body of water, do they have public meetings like they appear to do in Minnesota?
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/21/2016 5:35 PM (#800702 - in reply to #800602)

North of 8 - 1/21/2016 7:07 AM

One question that Pointer or others may be able to answer: Does Wisconsin normally hold hearings when a decision is made to stock a lake? The chain where I live has had several stockings of walleyes in the past few years but the chain has always had walleyes and I know there were no public meetings about it. If they plan to stock a fish not already in the body of water, do they have public meetings like they appear to do in Minnesota?

I would say yes, there is usually some sort of informative meeting or solicitation of public feedback prior to stocking a new species somewhere. If no input is received prior to scheduling a meeting they may skip having a meeting.

The problem with the current issue is its largely based on misinformation or blatant fear mongering. It's much like Donald Trump's campaign. Based on alternate reality, unfortunately plenty of people exist in that same alternate reality.
North of 8
Posted 1/21/2016 6:10 PM (#800707 - in reply to #800702)

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was probably the difference between introducing a species through stocking as opposed to augmenting the population of an existing species, as was the case with walleyes on the chain where I live. The muskies are native to the chain, no stocking.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)