Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Green Bay musky fishery stocking information

Message Subject: Green Bay musky fishery stocking information
Musky_Slayer
Posted 5/27/2012 10:38 PM (#562189 - in reply to #558789)
Subject: Re: Green Bay musky fishery stocking information

Have any estimates been made to the number of fish killed accidentally by non-musky anglers. A kayaker I talked to found 8 dead muskies while traveling up the east side of the river in a single day during the walleye run. A lot of fish also get hit by propellers when they suspend in the middle of the river.
Something to consider when looking at population estimates
tcbetka
Posted 5/28/2012 6:18 AM (#562209 - in reply to #562189)

I have never seen such an estimate. If you look through the Musky Management Plan for the bay, nothing is mentioned about that sort of thing. They aren't even sure how many fish have been harvested, largely because the creel survey they perform pretty much ends in late September...before the major Fall fishing begins. They are working on extending that creel survey through the end of the musky season though, so hopefully we'll get better coverage in the years to come.

But nothing about the number of the incidental find(s) of dead fish. I know they used to walk the shoreline in the Spring and take the Cleithra from any dead fish they found, but I am not sure how many such fish they found.

TB
Musky_Slayer
Posted 6/13/2012 5:39 PM (#565067 - in reply to #558789)

How does the public get involved. Would having fundraisers help out
tcbetka
Posted 6/18/2012 4:12 PM (#566010 - in reply to #565067)

Thanks for the message. Sorry I missed this--been away from the site for awhile, working on other stuff. I also just sent you a PM.

Sure, you can get involved. Absolutely. There are a couple ways. First you can call your local DNR biologist and just ask what you might be able to help with. At different times of the year they'll ask for help for various things--so you might get in on some fun things. You could also see about joining a local fishing chapter. Besides Muskies Inc, there are probably clubs in your area. Many of these clubs participate at various levels, and support the different programs. For instance here in Green Bay, our MI chapter directly supports the fishery with monetary donations every year. And we also volunteer to help out with man-power needs, whenever possible.

So there are a few potential ways you could help, depending upon what you'd like to do. PM me back if you'd like to talk more about the subject, and I'd be happy to give you a call to discuss it.

TB
ILmuskie
Posted 7/10/2013 7:13 AM (#650758 - in reply to #558789)

Interesting posts! Love to read about Great Lakes Muskellunge! I am not expert and ask question is what size of musky in fingerlings? I believe that 100 12inch musky is better than 1,000,000 fry! What about a lake in Wisconsin like Green lake....big and deep water lake. Wisconsin stock Great Lakes Muskies into Green Lake. Catch and release only so Wis. DNR can use Green Lake for stock to Green Bay, Fox River etc. What do you think?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)