Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Esox Angler ?

Frozen
Message Subject: Esox Angler ?
JBush
Posted 4/28/2009 9:06 PM (#375002 - in reply to #374549)
Subject: RE: Esox Angler ?

I've been lucky enough to have some articles with my photos in EA. The first thing I can tell you about the team over there is that there's no pretention, no 'tree house club mentality' (like you'll find in many a circle) and the guys and girls are all just real people. 'Real Deal' is a great way to describe not just the nuts and bolts fishing stuff, but the way they treat each other and the people who write in. Their whole approach, from what I saw. I gained a lot of confidence in the craft getting feedback from guys like Kimm, Maina and especially Burnsy. You start looking down that lineup and it's pretty clear..not a lot of flash in the pan, mouthpiece types. They're all pretty reputable, veteran and solid fishermen. Johnson, Pearson, Kimm, Craven. These are about the last guys you'll find hyping, squabling or chest-thumping, especially on a keyboard. I think the sport is in desparate, desparate need of guys like this. Once again, 'real deal' pops up. Take a look at the businesses that have gone belly up in the bucket on Main Street and Wall Street since last fall. Some pretty big names. Bedrock institutions, in some cases. Like it was mentioned, EA looks for a tiny, niche slice of a pie that's small enough to begin with and getting smaller. Win lose or draw, it's been a slice boys, I enjoyed it all.
MY NAME IS JP BUSHEY AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR PIKE SEASON TO OPEN ON GEORGIAN BAY THIS WKND.
David Fornara
Posted 4/28/2009 10:03 PM (#375011 - in reply to #374549)
Subject: Re: Esox Angler ?

David Fornara here --- President of Esox Angler Magazine.

As Jerry stated, (out of frustation) the Magazine at this time is still going. The retail store and website are still going as well. We are trying to Keep EA's head above water; but it is a difficult time in the "Print Sports Media" business.

It is not just the advertising or subscription base that are problems in this industry. In the last 2 month's the Company that prints EA has shut down one of it's plants. The Circulation company has had a 25% reduction in staff, (for niche magazines) and the paper company we use, (which is a comodity - like soy beans or pork belly's) have shut there doors.

There is much more than great articles and a great staff involved to bring a magazine like ours, (a labor of love) to the newsstand or to your mailbox.

For us this has never been a Musky Hunter/EA issue --- I've subscribed to Musky Hunter longer than most in this thread have --- garanteed. Jim and Steve are to be commended for being able to produce what the do --- and give us all a good bit of information to read.

We tried to send out notices in the most efficient way we could, ($$$ wise) and we figured that word of mouth would handle the rest. We added an issue to everyones subscription to make up for the lateness of Winter/Spring. That seemed to be OK with most.

While we are unsure about are future; we continue to scrape by never having takek a paycheck, (in 7 years) and all pitching in were we can. From Jack Burns, Rob Kimm, Dave Olson, Jerry and myself. Even more so people who have now moved on --- Pete when he was knee deep in it --- Most of all, my better half Teresa Webinger, (whom most of you know) sunk not only a slew of $$$ into EA, but even more so; was General Manager for 2+ years without a single dollar for her extreme amount of time and effort --- she loves to fish, but even more so --- she did it for me, my friends, muskie fisher people and the cause. Anyone who knows her; knows she "gets it" more than a lot of the fishermen do.

Personally, I always dreamed that we as fisherman could have a magazine or an organization like the NRA; only maybe call it the NFA.  Were we all work "together and secure the future of our fisheries for generations to come.  But because many of us are so opinionated or sit in different camps; it seems we are a long way from that point; kind of a shame really.  Meanwhile stocking issues, size limits, spearing, or whatever just keeps on keeping on.

This is not a bash out there to anyone --- just a heads up to make us all think a little bit.

Besides this is opener weekend here in WI --- we've all weathered the winter --- can't we all be excited --- the time to fish muskies is just around the corner.

If you have questions please feel free to email or call us; if EA goes out of business we will put out an announcement until then --- like the last 3+ years; the rumor mill keeps churning --- but we still manage to find a way.  Better a little late than never... I guess?

David Fornara
President
Esox Angler Magazine</p>

Edited by David Fornara 4/28/2009 10:16 PM
Jsondag
Posted 4/28/2009 10:19 PM (#375015 - in reply to #374549)

Thanks Dave! A much more level headed response compared to my rant. I can't believe I forgot to mention Teresa's dedication and stress she has undergone the last several years. She had singlehandedly taken care of all the managerial duties until she passed the torch to Dave. Without Dave and Teresa EA would have collapsed years ago.
sworrall
Posted 4/28/2009 10:20 PM (#375017 - in reply to #374549)

And with that said, there's little more to say or speculate. Good fortune to EA magazine and the staff, good folks all. Here's to the end of the recession soon, and better times for us all.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)