Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 10 ft rod

Message Subject: 10 ft rod
Vince Weirick
Posted 5/2/2014 2:34 PM (#709929 - in reply to #709354)
Subject: Re: 10 ft rod

horsehunter - 4/29/2014 3:30 PM

To a guy that started with a five and a half foot rod and often fishes alone I think a 10 foot rod borders on the ridiculous. I can't imagine netting your own fish.

And I can't imagine only fishing with a suick...
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/5/2014 9:48 PM (#710273 - in reply to #709929)

Netting fish by yourself with a long rod is much less of a problem than netting fish by yourself with a long leader. (Fishing rod before Todd "jumps" on that one :

Ben Olsen
Posted 5/5/2014 11:28 PM (#710284 - in reply to #709169)

We need Ldahlberg to chime in here. You do reach a point of "diminishing returns". The further you move the fulcrum from the force reduces power. Er...something like that! Extra "standout"(moving the backbone out away from the hands) reduces power on hooksets and casting heavy baits. Adding handle length actually moves the force closer to the fulcrum. The length that matters is the length from the reel seat to the tip. I played with the MI 10'(it had a pretty short handle...like 18" I think?) and own several different 9'3" to 9'6" predators. I've found I loose power over about 92"-94" on the Predators. I've never actually measured the "standout". My favorite is a 9'4" XH with a 19" handle. It can still fling bucktails but has the beef and leverage for pounders.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)