Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel cleaning

Message Subject: Reel cleaning
reelman
Posted 12/19/2008 11:29 AM (#350489 - in reply to #349627)
Subject: Re: Reel cleaning

With Abu drag washers you can wipe them down with WD40 and then dry them with a paper towel and they should be good to go the majority of the time if they aren't just plain wore out. I have 7000's that I use for salmon fishing that I have used for 5 or 6 years and never changed the drags or for that matter even cleaned them and these drags get a whole lot more of a work out than any musky reel out there. I don't even loosen up the drag over winter and they are still working and still very smooth.

In days of old with the leather or fiber washers they would wear out or get a set pretty easy but with all the new carbon washers they are pretty maintanance free as long as they stay free of oil.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/19/2008 12:19 PM (#350498 - in reply to #349627)
Subject: RE: Reel cleaning

I would never use a penetrate oil like wd40 on drag washers, clean them with white sprits or disc brk cleaner, that will get any reel oil off of them, then dry them and apply a light coat of Cal's Drag Grease. I'm only trying to give you some good advice on reel maintenance, and as far as never backing off your drags over the winter months, you don't have to , but your drag spring & washers are not going to last long. I hope that I have given you some good insight on reel maintenance. go to http://www.smoothdrag.com/installation.html for more insight on drag maintenance and install.

Edited by PIKEMASTER 12/19/2008 1:00 PM
reelman
Posted 12/19/2008 1:29 PM (#350507 - in reply to #349627)
Subject: Re: Reel cleaning

Pikemaster, I value your opinion I am just stating what I have done on the approximatly 15,000 or so reels I have repaired in the past. I always used WD40 on the drags, but made sure to dry them off good with a paper towel afterwards, when the drags were sticky if I didn't just replace the drag washers all together. I would agree that carb cleaner or the other solvents you mentioned would also work but in todays world getting approval to use some of these harsher solvnts in the work enviornment.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)